Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collected the M3P! First impressions and a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is one massive drawback that the EV world will have to overcome before it becomes the norm. Some things will have to be simplified and more like their ICE counterparts.

I've never been to a petrol station and thought "I wonder if I have the right hose to fill my car up fully"

We just acquired the ICE knowledge already so we think it's easy ... just with EV it's new knowledge ... with ICE people get their petrol and diesel mixed up ... they used to confuse grades of petrol or unwittingly use leaded petrol in the past and knacker their catalytic converter ... or get a 2 stroke fuel mix wrong ...

For example. I want to granny charge from a standard wall outlet in continental Europe. What do I need?

You already have the mobile charge point (UMC) and you therefore just need the adapter for the relevant country from Tesla. It will be like the 3 pin for use in the UK but will have a Schuko or whatever at the other end (and will charge at 16amps instead of 10 amps ... which is nice)

It’s simple once you know. It’s still overly confusing if you’re just getting your first EV like me and I am certain it’ll put some people off. Especially as the ICE world only has one rule: don’t stick the green cable in a diesel

Also remember that CCS in many ways is a Type 2 connector, it just has an extra two pins at the bottom. It doesn’t really feel like two different options once you get the car. The vast majority of AC chargers are Type 2 and the vast majority of DC chargers are CCS. You just plug in and go. There’s no element of “where does this fit?”.

Before I got my car I was the same as you. I read the forums and thought it sounded quite complicated. In reality it really isn’t. These discussion boards tend to go into greater detail than the average owner would ever need to worry about.

Back to the OP: what %age did you get the window tints? I think I'll get mine done too.
Yes! What’s allowed in the UK and what did it cost - and has it impacted your visibility?

I’ve never modified a car in my life! But Tesla and this forum have me with a big list of auto trunk & wraps for almost everything! o_O and I’m curious about the tint too as so many American cars in the millions of videos I’ve watched have them but they look super dark which probably isn’t allowed here

Yes! What’s allowed in the UK and what did it cost - and has it impacted your visibility?

I’ve never modified a car in my life! But Tesla and this forum have me with a big list of auto trunk & wraps for almost everything! o_O and I’m curious about the tint too as so many American cars in the millions of videos I’ve watched have them but they look super dark which probably isn’t allowed here

The laws around window tints are these in the UK:
Tinted vehicle windows: the law

Yeah the states have different laws.
In the UK it's:
For vehicles first used after 1st of April 1985 the windscreen must allow 75% of light to be transmitted whilst the windows of either side of the driver must allow 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

Much of the tint you see in videos is too dark.

Keep this in mind. Many other drivers will look at your head to see if you are checking for traffic. Every day I run into conflicts with overtinted drivers due to this limitation, (but I have a lot of 4 way stop signs). And sometimes you want to signal people your intentions with your hands without rolling down a window. Don't be surprised if dark tint causes more conflicts while you drive.

Nothing is worse that being on a motorcycle/bicycle/horse at an uncontrolled intersection and someone in a car has limo tinted their car. They just sit there in their car. Are they waiting for you or playing with their phone? You wait, they won't budge, then you move a few feet at the same time they do. Rinse repeat.

Also remember that as you get older your night vision diminishes; tinting doesn't help a driver's night vision.

• Informative
Reactions: DJP31 and Adopado
Much of the tint you see in videos is too dark..

Thanks - wouldn’t ever be going too dark both out of personal preference, and also to follow our uk regs - was just curious.

I’ve had to get a white car to keep under 50k to qualify for 0% finance govmt scheme here, so getting a ‘metallic graphite’ wrap with subtle company branding, and chrome delete, and noticed many cars also have the tint and as I’ll be camping in it, (during covid only probably... tbh unless I’m massively surprised by it!) so the privacy angle, and saving battery for temperature control did peak my interest.... but since i live in scotland (not Cali!) temp is way less of an issue! Which leaves privacy, so I’ll get it and see first.

P.S. Great post original poster - I found this really useful! Thanks :)