Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection Experience - Tesla Heathrow (West Drayton)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading all the replies it sounds like everyone quite reasonably expects the basics to be right - a working car without any defects, handed over without confusion, drama, or unecessary delay.

Anything above that it starts to get very subjective. Some people like the "special day" treatment and place value on it, some just don't. Personally, the whole covered car reveal + combination of flowers / mats / champagne / eternal gratitude, I find all those extras a little bit insincere and cringey. I'm happy with a working car efficiently delivered by someone who's happy to answer a couple of dumb questions without making me feel stupid.
Like you I find all of that a bit cringe, but there are people that go in for it and expect it.

And no - the Model X/£100k+ experience is no different. Why would it be? Would it not be even more egregious if Tesla reserved a fanfare for S/X customers but the 3 owners just got pointed towards their cars?

Like you I find all of that a bit cringe, but there are people that go in for it and expect it.

And no - the Model X/£100k+ experience is no different. Why would it be? Would it not be even more egregious if Tesla reserved a fanfare for S/X customers but the 3 owners just got pointed towards their cars?
I reiterate my point for earlier: if you were spending £100000 on any product that wasn't a house, wouldn't you expect to be appreciated for such a large outlay.

In fact, in my apartment block even if you buy a flat you get a nice little bow on your door and a welcome tour of the apartment block when you buy.

No offence but to me they seem really low standards to have of a premium vehicle. Essentially you are saying you expect the correct car, it to be built properly and it to work.

That's the minimum we should expect of every single product we buy!
What’s so special about it being a “premium” vehicle? Who says it’s a premium vehicle?

Is the SR+ a premium vehicle? It costs £40k, but then a BMW i3 isn’t far off that either, is that premium? What about a run of the mill Audi that’s got loads of options on? Or a VW Transporter, about the same price range. Is that premium?

What if you’re leasing it because you “can’t really properly afford it”, should you get the red carpet treatment then too, or should the finance company get the wine vouchers instead?

I must admit I struggle with the notion that spending £Xk on a car means that you’re expecting to be treated like royalty on collection day. If you’ve spent that much after having decided to buy it then you’re presumably already sold on it, the pomp and ceremony is all completely unnecessary in that context, and a bit excruciating in my opinion.

What’s so special about it being a “premium” vehicle? Who says it’s a premium vehicle?

Is the SR+ a premium vehicle? It costs £40k, but then a BMW i3 isn’t far off that either, is that premium? What about a run of the mill Audi that’s got loads of options on? Or a VW Transporter, about the same price range. Is that premium?

What if you’re leasing it because you “can’t really properly afford it”, should you get the red carpet treatment then too, or should the finance company get the wine vouchers instead?

I must admit I struggle with the notion that spending £Xk on a car means that you’re expecting to be treated like royalty on collection day. If you’ve spent that much after having decided to buy it then you’re presumably already sold on it, the pomp and ceremony is all completely unnecessary in that context, and a bit excruciating in my opinion.
Like I said we have different standards. I know I’m repeating myself here but that’s how I feel. If I ran a business and someone spent tens of thousands on my products, essentially investing in my business, I’d make them feel appreciated. You have lower standards, and that’s fine. Problem is if everyone accepts those low standards. Then costumer service gets worse. If we all just get treat badly and say “oh well, that’s just the way it is”

I don’t think they’re low standards, they’re just different. People put different value on different things.

It is absolutely fair that someone buying any brand new car (or product) should expect a commensurate level of quality, and care, and on a fundamental level be treated well as a customer. Those things are sacrosanct. Anyone who gets delivered a poorly PDI’d car has every right to kick off.

With respect it seems you put a fair amount of stock in the ceremonial aspect of buying things. I’ve owned some “fancy” cars but never gone in for the whole “you’re better than X now” treatment, I find that all rather distasteful.

Maybe I’m overstating your position, and I’m sure post-COVID there will be more personable handovers, but as long as someone smiles and can answer whatever questions I have on the day, and the aftersales service is up to scratch - that’s good enough in my book.

I don’t think they’re low standards, they’re just different. People put different value on different things.

It is absolutely fair that someone buying any brand new car (or product) should expect a commensurate level of quality, and care, and on a fundamental level be treated well as a customer. Those things are sacrosanct. Anyone who gets delivered a poorly PDI’d car has every right to kick off.

With respect it seems you put a fair amount of stock in the ceremonial aspect of buying things. I’ve owned some “fancy” cars but never gone in for the whole “you’re better than X now” treatment, I find that all rather distasteful.

Maybe I’m overstating your position, and I’m sure post-COVID there will be more personable handovers, but as long as someone smiles and can answer whatever questions I have on the day, and the aftersales service is up to scratch - that’s good enough in my book.
You must have misunderstood me, it's definitely not a "you're better than x now" attitude. Just a feeling that if I invest such a large personal sum in a business it would be nice to be appreciated. This could go round and round but that's how I feel, I always expect high standard of customer service. If I don't get them I shall complain. if I do get them I shall praise the company. That's just how I am.

Your online account also links to the manual - I’m surprised people don’t read this - especially with the long wait time

I had read it from end to end after printing it out double sided but its surprising what you forget.

The person handing over left me to it after I said I had read the manual but I soon realised I couldn't move it to drive away! :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Lucanesque
I had read it from end to end after printing it out double sided but its surprising what you forget.

The person handing over left me to it after I said I had read the manual but I soon realised I couldn't move it to drive away! :rolleyes:
Did you see when Jack Massey Welsh pick dup his on youtube? He was the same. I'll excited about his car. Then he sat in to drive away and says "Erm, I've forgotten how to drive!"

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts
Did you see when Jack Massey Welsh pick dup his on youtube? He was the same. I'll excited about his car. Then he sat in to drive away and says "Erm, I've forgotten how to drive!"

I felt the same. After 2.5 months of watching youtube content and many tutorials I thought I was well prepared.

The moment I sat in the car I seemed to forget all the information I'd consumed during that period. Sitting in the car and placing it into drive for the first time was quite overwhelming (wife asking loads of questions at the same time didn't help), Two miles down the road though and it felt natural.

'Normal' ICE cars now feel weird. I keep turning the indicators on when attempting to shift between park, drive, reverse on my other cars. I've also managed to walk away from one of them with the engine left running and the car unlocked, fortunately I realised shortly after.

I felt the same. After 2.5 months of watching youtube content and many tutorials I thought I was well prepared.

The moment I sat in the car I seemed to forget all the information I'd consumed during that period. Sitting in the car and placing it into drive for the first time was quite overwhelming (wife asking loads of questions at the same time didn't help), Two miles down the road though and it felt natural.

'Normal' ICE cars now feel weird. I keep turning the indicators on when attempting to shift between park, drive, reverse on my other cars. I've also managed to walk away from one of them with the engine left running and the car unlocked, fortunately I realised shortly after.
I think I have a head start in this regard, in my previous two mercies, the drive selector has been in the same place as it is on all Teslas. (In fact on the model S and X it's the same stalk! I now suffer the other way round, every time I drive the missus' manual, I put the wipers on instead of putting it in reverse.

I know from the test drive that regen will take some getting used to, but hopefully I'll nail it.

I find regen so good that if I’ve used the brake on a journey it’s because I’ve failed to anticipate something. Most of my driving is outside of cities though.

The problem with regen, particularly with the M3P, is that because I barely use the brakes they build up surface corrosion and look pretty crap. Apparently it’s advisable to do some hard braking every so often.

Reactions: Neilio
I find regen so good that if I’ve used the brake on a journey it’s because I’ve failed to anticipate something. Most of my driving is outside of cities though.

The problem with regen, particularly with the M3P, is that because I barely use the brakes they build up surface corrosion and look pretty crap. Apparently it’s advisable to do some hard braking every so often.
I'm genuinely nervous about looking like a numpty driver as I instinctively lift off and the car comes to a halt! I'm sure I'll get used to it, then crash the next ICE car I drive expecting it to stop!

Is the SR+ a premium vehicle? It costs £40k, but then a BMW i3 isn’t far off that either, is that premium?

I think of it (no disregard to SR owners) as a £30k vehicle with £15k of petrol in the tank (ok, so its a battery part offset by a government grant). Likewise, LR and Performance is nigh on exactly the same £30k vehicle as the SR, but with more petrol in the tank, an extra £4k motor, a couple of items software enabled and in the case of Performance, a £2k further software unlock (the price difference between LR/AWD and no longer available base performance was ~£2k) and £5k of stick/bolt on options that was once the optional performance upgrade pack. So still exactly the same £30k car, trim, quality, infotainment etc wise as the SR. The only differentiator, minus an amp and a couple of LEDs is the dual motor, longer range battery, potentially software and a now non optional upgrade pack. Its not like other manufacturers where there are genuinely different trim, options and infotainment levels etc. If it wasn't for the weight difference and looking in the front service area, you wouldn't know that the SR and LR/AWD and base performance were not exactly the same car, just with battery and dual motor disabled in software.

Last edited:
Trying to move back OT, I rang to enquire the process for collection to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. Surprisingly the rep said I'd receive a locker code to go pick up my key cards from Heathrow/WD SC for a truly contactless experience. This doesn't match OP's experience and I haven't seen this mentioned before. Has anyone else come across this, or had it mentioned to them?
Anyone else with a sept collection from WD willing to give them a call to reconfirm?

Trying to move back OT, I rang to enquire the process for collection to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. Surprisingly the rep said I'd receive a locker code to go pick up my key cards from Heathrow/WD SC for a truly contactless experience. This doesn't match OP's experience and I haven't seen this mentioned before. Has anyone else come across this, or had it mentioned to them?
Anyone else with a sept collection from WD willing to give them a call to reconfirm?
Ignore my previous post. I've just had my "call" before delivery and he confirmed that's an Amsterdam method, not a UK one.

I was fortunate enough to collect my S long range from Birmingham on February 1st,
Everything and I mean Everything was superb, the hardest part was finding the place, the delivery staff were still going over the car when we arrived about 30 minutes early, everything was clearly explained, how to navigate the screen, seat position etc which took about an hour in total, signed for the car and away we went, very very happy,
I don’t think it was just because we bought the S, as another family were collecting a Model 3, and seemed to be well looked after too.
I suppose it’s like many things nowadays that some people care and are conscientious others not so, we were lucky I guess but we couldn’t have been treated better at either the showroom at Touchwood Solihull or the Delivery at Birmingham.

Reactions: Rustybkts
I totally agre, but wait until you need the car serviced! Always ask for a loan car as a simple service can take a day or two. Also you are forced to use the app to book servicing and can no longer call the service centre directly. It is a right pain....

Fortunately the car makes up for the useless service/customer experience. My MS is now out of the service plan, so will use a Tesla regional service centre/ANO for any future requirements

I picked up my M3P in December. First new car I’ve bought. They told me to get there at 1.30pm which I did (btw I agree the signage is crap!) and on entry was told that I’d missed the group video induction session that shows you how to drive your car (it was at 1pm..) They asked if I wanted to wait for the next one at 2pm or just take the car. I was on my lunch break from work so I opted for the latter. I was pointed to the car, told that I could look around it, signed an iPad and was then left to myself. I took a cursory look over it for 2 minutes, didn’t see anything horrible, got in it, spent about 3 minutes trying to work out how to make it move, then drove off. Zero fanfare, but personally I didn’t mind, I hate phoney smiley customer service. And it suited me since I was in a hurry. I’d definitely say I’ve spent longer picking up rental cars