Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection Experience - Tesla Heathrow (West Drayton)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will do :) I guess my anxiety is more that I'll get there in two weeks time and be like ERMEHGERD!!! SHINY ELECTRIC CAR!!!! and forget all about everything I've seen and struggle to even get it in to drive :D

Haha, you'll be fine, once you get in it and get used to the gears being from a stalk, took me a little while to stop reaching down to the centre console to put it in drive / park with my left arm, as I'd been either changing gears or using the handbrake in that area since I was 17 :D

Reactions: Lucanesque
Whilst I'm not saying the lobbing of the keycards and a smile (if you're lucky) is right, but I'd recommend reseting your expectations so that a day that should be really exciting for you doesn't turn sour. If you then get a better experience than the bare minimum you'll be happier and you still get to drive home in an amazing car.

BMW didn't do the big reveal for me at all as I posted above, so I was a little disappointed on the day, as they'd done it for a friend of mine a few times, so I had some expectations which they didn't meet, but still, the drive home was fantastic and other than posting in here about it, it's not something I've thought about since.

Hopefully you'll find the same for your Model 3, still makes me smile every time I give the fun pedal an enthusiastic poke. On my test drive, I had to apologise to the sales guy from Tesla for my involuntary swear when I floored the accelerator, just couldn't help it :)

It's time to YouTube! It's a nice UI so you won't struggle too much even if you do get a lacklustre handover, I'd suggest doing some YouTube research anyway to familiarise yourself :)

This is a fair comment, and although I agree with most, I do think we are not only purchasing the car, but also a level of service from the company. We all know customers drive businesses, and without customers, businesses wouldn't survive (unless backed by Elon). It could be a lack of staff or SC, but customers shouldn't be penalized for it.

I don't think it's fair customers should have to go in with a mindset of I'll get a sh*t service but a good car and anything extra is an added bonus. This isn't a good image for the brand, nor is it fair on all of us who have spent a fair amount of shiny coins in growing the company. Anyone sitting on the fence on getting an EV could be deterred by this, which defeats the companies goal.

I do however agree there are loads of videos floating around, and due to the wait time, I think I've seen them way too many times. I really hope I get in the car and there's something new I didn't know though.

I can't comment on my collection experience as it's not happened yet, but from what I've read so far I should be grateful I have a car after a long wait and disregard the fact I paid money for it.

I am however going to set a personal challenge of making the staff smile to not ruin my experience (maybe I'll hand out some edibles-not decided yet) and to get a pen.

This is a fair comment, and although I agree with most, I do think we are not only purchasing the car, but also a level of service from the company. We all know customers drive businesses, and without customers, businesses wouldn't survive (unless backed by Elon). It could be a lack of staff or SC, but customers shouldn't be penalized for it.

I don't think it's fair customers should have to go in with a mindset of I'll get a sh*t service but a good car and anything extra is an added bonus. This isn't a good image for the brand, nor is it fair on all of us who have spent a fair amount of shiny coins in growing the company. Anyone sitting on the fence on getting an EV could be deterred by this, which defeats the companies goal.

I do however agree there are loads of videos floating around, and due to the wait time, I think I've seen them way too many times. I really hope I get in the car and there's something new I didn't know though.

I can't comment on my collection experience as it's not happened yet, but from what I've read so far I should be grateful I have a car after a long wait and disregard the fact I paid money for it.

I am however going to set a personal challenge of making the staff smile to not ruin my experience (maybe I'll hand out some edibles-not decided yet) and to get a pen.

I'm not saying it should be a crappy experience and you should expect or accept that, the OP's one of waiting around in the rain sounds terrible, but, if it's a case of turning up, being greeted, shown your car, given your keycards and time to look round it and ask any questions, as much as it's not an experience and there is no fanfare at all, it's not the end of the world either and given what people have said recently, it's probably what will happen.

Just trying to temper Neilio's expectations, as he's setting himself to be disappointed and potentially turn an otherwise exciting day sour for himself.

Tesla have a lot to do in the customer service part of the business for sure (although you will get to meet / talk to some excellent members of staff), but if you go in expecting something you are highly unlikely to get, you'll be disappointed.

Reactions: Durzel
Tesla is not wasting money on trying to have a dealership in every major town. They're also not wasting money on flowers, champagne and presentation. The car is expensive enough already so I don't want to be paying even more so that I can have all the aforementioned! None of it comes "free" ... you pay for every little "extra". Once they've optimised a simple but thorough PDI and handover hopefully 90% of people will be happy without the other (IMHO) nonsense.
You still seem to be missing my point. You say these things aren't "free" and of course they aren't but you are paying a significant amount of money whichever way you look at it. People spend who spend that much money expect their custom be be appreciated.

What if you buy a Model X? I hope the experience is different. Imagine spending £100000 on ANY product that isn't a house. You'd expect an appreciation of the investment you have made, probably a significant song and dance.

We SHOULD be expecting more when we spend so much money on things. It wouldn't kill a company to show appreciation for the people keeping it alive.

Tesla not showing appreciation ?? What do you call the S/W updates - I can now play cup head when charging could not do that a year ago.

To be honest my last few cars where leased new via a broker and delivered to my work place so my collection experiences and expectations where simple - driver a) does not damage car on delivery and b) driver delivers right car.

Go with home delivery option - lower expectation and less chance of them not being met :)

AS mentioned earlier in this thread - On tela collection I got a bottle of water - more than I have had of any other manufacturer in the last 10 years.

Reactions: Lucanesque
Reading all the replies it sounds like everyone quite reasonably expects the basics to be right - a working car without any defects, handed over without confusion, drama, or unecessary delay.

Anything above that it starts to get very subjective. Some people like the "special day" treatment and place value on it, some just don't. Personally, the whole covered car reveal + combination of flowers / mats / champagne / eternal gratitude, I find all those extras a little bit insincere and cringey. I'm happy with a working car efficiently delivered by someone who's happy to answer a couple of dumb questions without making me feel stupid.

Reading all the replies it sounds like everyone quite reasonably expects the basics to be right - a working car without any defects, handed over without confusion, drama, or unecessary delay.

Anything above that it starts to get very subjective. Some people like the "special day" treatment and place value on it, some just don't. Personally, the whole covered car reveal + combination of flowers / mats / champagne / eternal gratitude, I find all those extras a little bit insincere and cringey. I'm happy with a working car efficiently delivered by someone who's happy to answer a couple of dumb questions without making me feel stupid.
To be fair, I'm not expecting champagne and have never had that. Just expecting the experience to be akin to buying any other massively expensive object.

As the OP, I did actually mark text in Italics where I felt Tesla could do better. I think if they do those things then the collection experience would be acceptable, maybe even more than acceptable :) No one is suggesting champagne, flowers etc. Just an appropriately staffed, safe, comfortable, efficient experience with a little bit of a personal touch.

Reactions: Neilio
The main problem is that if you have something significantly wrong then you don’t really have the option to refuse delivery. Also if you’re clueless about the car then you really are in the dark.

I was lucky (?) as I had spent quite a bit of time acquainting myself with the videos, and had already had a 1 1/2 hour test drive, so I knew how the cards worked, etc. The guy who dropped my car off didn’t know anything about the car, wouldn’t have been able to answer any questions about it, etc. That wouldn’t be the same for everyone.

That being said a home delivery option for people who are happy to just get on with it could work.

Good points. I suppose you can always just return it within the first few days/X number of miles as you usually can do with Teslas, but I assume that's treated as not wanting the car rather than not accepting the car (so would prevent you ordering the same spec for a while.)

Just thinking how the home delivery experience could be improved...

From what I remember, the app and website presented a handful of videos to watch before delivery, and I (like most of us) ended up watching lots of other videos about the car on YouTube. They could probably add some more official Tesla in-depth videos to this and maybe also have some delivery-day videos that show up for a brief time after your car is delivered. Or they could do the presentation remotely as a video call, so people can ask questions (as alternative to the group presentation you'd normally attend in person.) Which could also double-up as an opportunity to say "I'm not happy with the state the car was delivered in, give me a different one".

Some people would probably still prefer to go and collect it though, so that should still remain an option if the above ever did happen.

One day the car will probably just drive itself to you (as was suggested by someone else in this thread)!

Not sure if there is a difference in the communications you receive depending if you are buying direct or through a lease company but so far I’ve had;

On booking the test drive - numerous emails and texts telling me to watch these videos so I know how to drive the car when you turn up for the test drive.

Since ordering I’ve had similar - emails telling me to watch these videos (they also show up in the app) - admittedly they’re basic but they explain enough for you to be able to at least drive home!

Your online account also links to the manual - I’m surprised people don’t read this - especially with the long wait time - I had read the thing in the first few days after ordering... But then I’m also surprised at the number of people that are willing to hand over so much cash for a product without actually knowing what it’s capable of in the first place.

I’m antisocial so I’m quite happy to turn up sign any paperwork, get the keys and be left on my own... but each to their own!

Soon after ordering the car I visited my local (Stockport) SC. The first sales person who approached me (Ben) couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and courteous even after I said that I'd already placed an order. He mentioned what a great experience collection day was going to be & he likened it to Apple (...although IME with them you often wait ages for an advisor!).

Covid then struck so I was given a contactless home delivery instead of collection & had various telephone calls, mostly with Daly and Carly who were among the most helpful and responsive sales staff I have ever dealt with... in fact everyone at Stockport seemed to bend over backwards to help both before, during and immediately after delivery day. I had a post delivery SC visit with a minor issue which was promptly fixed & the Service manager came out to personally check all was OK, likewise after a ranger home visit for a new wing mirror housing there was follow up call to check I was happy.

The contract delivery driver (from West Drayton) was equally helpful & stayed for over an hour checking the car with me even though late on a Friday afternoon & a long journey home so overall my experience has been very good.

Not having had an actual collection from Stockport, I don't know what that would have been like but from the attitude of at least ten of their people that I have spoken to or met, I suspect I would have been equally impressed.

What if you buy a Model X? I hope the experience is different. Imagine spending £100000 on ANY product that isn't a house. You'd expect an appreciation of the investment you have made, probably a significant song and dance.

It's just some kind of tradition. You can spend half a million on a house and you just get the keys! You can have a personal celebration if you want but we don't expect houses to come with a fanfare so why a car? It's all part of the dealership hype that I'm happy to leave behind. If something is not worth the money don't buy it. If it is then the fact you get what you've paid for should be enough.

My expectation of collecting the car as follows

1) it’s the right car/spec and everything works
2) no bits hanging off or damage
3) it supercharges first time and then every time after with no issues
4) it home-charges first and every time I need it to
5) it doesn’t bork itself on a Friday evening on first drive home with 230 miles to cover

I don’t need them to buy me flowers or offer a happy ending, and don’t need them to faff around with controls demo etc, that’s why I had a demo car for 48 hours pre-ordering.

If it does 1-5 and I can just get in, drive it, get it home safely and then use it, I’ll be happy. Less than that, not happy.

5) it doesn’t bork itself on a Friday evening on first drive home with 230 miles to cover

I don’t need them to buy me flowers or offer a happy ending, and don’t need them to faff around with controls demo etc, that’s why I had a demo car for 48 hours pre-ordering.

If it does 1-5 and I can just get in, drive it, get it home safely and then use it, I’ll be happy. Less than that, not happy.

Yes forget the flowers, I don't need no faff with contol demos etc but I may err, well, what else was it?

It's just some kind of tradition. You can spend half a million on a house and you just get the keys! You can have a personal celebration if you want but we don't expect houses to come with a fanfare so why a car? It's all part of the dealership hype that I'm happy to leave behind. If something is not worth the money don't buy it. If it is then the fact you get what you've paid for should be enough.
I guess people have different standards. I know if I was running a business, anyone who spent that much money on one of my products would be appreciated.

No offence but to me they seem really low standards to have of a premium vehicle. Essentially you are saying you expect the correct car, it to be built properly and it to work.

That's the minimum we should expect of every single product we buy!

Reactions: browellm