Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collective noun for a group of Teslas

Which are your favorite collective names for a group of Teslas?

• A Battery of Teslas

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • A Bolt of Teslas

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • A Charge of Teslas

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • A Coil of Teslas

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • A Current of Teslas

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • A Drive of Teslas

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • A Grin of Teslas

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • A Pack of Teslas

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • A Wave of Teslas

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • A Whisper of Teslas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not gaggle.... makes it sounds like a bunch of turkeys.
I also don't like terms related to quantum mechanics. Nikola Tesla is known for E&M, not so much quantum (except perhaps among fans of pseudo-science).

Related: Do we have a different collective noun when referring to the make or the model?
For the make, I prefer "a coil of Teslas."
But for the model, I prefer "a charge of Roadsters."

I also do not like "gaggle" ... and Doug points out a good distinction to be made (make vs. model). And I agree with "a charge of Roadsters", but for the make would propose "a field of Teslas" ... as in electric and magnetic field.

... I agree with "a charge of Roadsters", but for the make would propose "a field of Teslas" ... as in electric and magnetic field.
Meant to respond to this a while back. Was recently reminded of it.

I think "field" is just great. It works on so many levels. This will be a bit much, but I'll give a few reasons.

• Of course there is the magnetic field, as ChargeIt! mentions. Moreover, the SI (mks) unit for magnetic field strength (magnitude) is called the Tesla (T). 1 Tesla = 10000 gauss (cgs unit)
  • Field is essentially already a collective noun, implying a collection of objects on a 2D surface. E.g. a field of wheat, rocks, children, etc. So it's easy to understand what's meant when one says a field of Tesla(s).
  • Those who have had some vector calc, might be familiar with concept of the vector field (special case of a tensor field). I picture each car representing an arrow in some arbitrary vector function on a surface forming a vector field.
  • The word "field" has a variety of different yet well defined meanings and uses ranging from sports and warfare to mathematics and science, thus adding to it's nuance. Ok I'll stop there.

Anyhow...

a charge of Roadsters

a field of Teslas

Really this picture looks like vector field you'd see in fluid mechanics. There's a drain at the upper right... retarded flow at the boundaries, higher fluid velocity at the center which draws the flow inward from the edges...

Of course traffic is often modeled with fluid dynamics. And under certain conditions the mathematics of fluids and that of electricity and magnetism are identical. See, it all comes full circle. :tongue:

Last edited:
Yeah ... what Doug said ... is what I meant ... sounds like Doug went to the same "school" I did, he just happens to better (more eloquent) at expressing in more detail what I was trying to say with field. And charge ... :smile:

Yeah ... what Doug said ... is what I meant ... sounds like Doug went to the same "school" I did, he just happens to better (more eloquent) at expressing in more detail what I was trying to say with field. And charge ... :smile:

"Field" is a bit common.

Main Entry: field
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: catch a hit or thrown object
Synonyms: cover, deal with, deflect, handle, hold, occupy, patrol, pick up, play, retrieve, return, stop, turn aside
Main Entry: field
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: open land that can be cultivated
Synonyms: acreage, cropland, enclosure, farmland, garden, glebe, grassland, green, ground, lea, mead, meadow, moorland, pasture, patch, plot, ranchland, range, terrain, territory, tillage, tract, vineyard

Think I'll throw in another vote for "field". It does work on so many levels. One more I'd toss into the mix -

• A "field" brings to mind a the green (I'm getting tired of that word) aspect of the car as I visualize a collection of Roadsters in a field of wildflowers.
Okay, enough sappiness. Perhaps we should have two terms. A "bolt" is a collection of Teslas in motion, while a "field" is a collection of Teslas at rest.

Has "an excitement of Teslas" been mentioned yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since geese have two different words associated with their grouping (skein while in flight, gaggle while grounded) we should have two different words for Teslas when parked vs. motoring. Perhaps a field of Teslas when parked and a charge of Teslas when in motion.

Since geese have two different words associated with their grouping (skein while in flight, gaggle while grounded) we should have two different words for Teslas when parked vs. motoring. Perhaps a field of Teslas when parked and a charge of Teslas when in motion.
When I read that, my brain immediately changed the last sentence to "Perhaps a field of Teslas when parked and a flux of Teslas when in motion.

Would the collecive noun for the roadster gliders or the 'S' bodyshells be a Potential?

Look at that "S car" go!

Escargot_Cornu.jpg

Hopefully this is the last time someone makes this joke.