Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision Damage & Tesla Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lovely wife took my M3D out for the 3rd time ever, she likes it, so I was happy for both of us... Unfortunately she backed it into a stationary object.

It needs a new rear bumper and a rear quarter panel. I don't know if anyone would repair the damage on the quarter panel or if that's a good idea in the first place. If so I might do this outside of insurance, but guessing its not worth it to do so.

So I don't want to deal with some of the horror stories I hear with Tesla body work and or service. I live on Long Island in New York, and there is one service center for this island with 3MM people on it.

I'd love to hear anything you all can share about this and any tips to minimize the frustration and agony. This won't be like dealing with a Mercedes dealer is my guess : )

I'd also like to know, can I go for a relatively minor collision repair like this to a NON-Tesla body shop?? Will they even do it, and if they do, should I be worried about this. Friends and family said for a career body guy this is no big deal, and it doesn't matter the car. The parts all go on in similar ways. Since there is no damage to proprietary Tesla parts, I shouldn't have to worry.

That said I believe an ultrasonic sensor in the bumper is damaged, and maybe that leads to other "Tesla proprietary" issues.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the accident! One thing to weigh in here is the wait time for repair (mostly for parts) vs. completing the service sooner but potentially voiding your warranty. I'd research this before moving forward. If the car is drivable legally, you may also want to consider getting it into the service queue while keeping it on the road.

I've copied some of the relevant documentation from Tesla's Warranty Terms: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Although Tesla does not require you to perform all maintenance, service or repairs at a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility, this Tesla Parts, Body and Paint Limited Warranty may be voided, or coverage may be excluded, due to lack of or improper maintenance, service or repairs. Tesla Service Centers and Tesla authorized repair facilities have special training, expertise, tools and supplies with respect to Tesla Parts, Body and Paint repairs, and, in certain cases, may employ the only persons, or be the only facilities authorized or certified to work on Tesla Parts, Body and Paint. Tesla strongly recommends that you have all maintenance, service and repairs done at a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility in order to avoid voiding, or having coverage excluded under, this Tesla Parts, Body and Paint Limited Warranty.

The biggest decision whether to use an authorized location or not will be the availability of parts.

You mentioned the bumper, quarter panel, and sensor. If you need to get a hand on those, your only option for new parts would be through Tesla or an authorized repair center who can order through Tesla. You might be able to get those sourced through a used dealer or something like eBay, but YMMV. As for the denied warranty, I couldn’t say for sure but I doubt anything could be denied for this, They might deny replacing your sensor or blame the repair if the something goes haywire with the backup sensor/beep/distance detection feature.

BTW, that begs the question of if the M3 screamed at you and your wife when backing up?

Reactions: calidreamz808
i went with Tesla in house body shop for the exact same damage and replacement, no waiting for parts and took them 1.5 week to get the job done (half of that time was waiting for the aluminum repair bay to open up)
I also got a few quotes from authorized Tesla repair shop near by, but been told could take 1-2 months due to parts. And they charge almost the same price as Tesla in house body shop. I think i got lucky cuz the Pomona body shop is 4 miles away from my house.
Total repair bill was $7k.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
The biggest decision whether to use an authorized location or not will be the availability of parts.

You mentioned the bumper, quarter panel, and sensor. If you need to get a hand on those, your only option for new parts would be through Tesla or an authorized repair center who can order through Tesla. You might be able to get those sourced through a used dealer or something like eBay, but YMMV. As for the denied warranty, I couldn’t say for sure but I doubt anything could be denied for this, They might deny replacing your sensor or blame the repair if the something goes haywire with the backup sensor/beep/distance detection feature.

BTW, that begs the question of if the M3 screamed at you and your wife when backing up?

Well, no there was no alert when she backed up, or at least that’s what she tells me.

I found a “Tesla Authorized” nearby repair shop, and will try and be sure to keep the car while waiting for parts.

I came across this video the other day. Relatively minor looking damage you can see at 1:22 costing just over $10k to fix at 13:30. However their body shop is most likely just taking advantage of their insurance company.

My lovely wife took my M3D out for the 3rd time ever, she likes it, so I was happy for both of us... Unfortunately she backed it into a stationary object.

It needs a new rear bumper and a rear quarter panel. I don't know if anyone would repair the damage on the quarter panel or if that's a good idea in the first place. If so I might do this outside of insurance, but guessing its not worth it to do so.

So I don't want to deal with some of the horror stories I hear with Tesla body work and or service. I live on Long Island in New York, and there is one service center for this island with 3MM people on it.

I'd love to hear anything you all can share about this and any tips to minimize the frustration and agony. This won't be like dealing with a Mercedes dealer is my guess : )

I'd also like to know, can I go for a relatively minor collision repair like this to a NON-Tesla body shop?? Will they even do it, and if they do, should I be worried about this. Friends and family said for a career body guy this is no big deal, and it doesn't matter the car. The parts all go on in similar ways. Since there is no damage to proprietary Tesla parts, I shouldn't have to worry.

That said I believe an ultrasonic sensor in the bumper is damaged, and maybe that leads to other "Tesla proprietary" issues.

Side note: Thank you. I was starting to warm to the idea of letting my wife drive my M3...

Side note: Thank you. I was starting to warm to the idea of letting my wife drive my M3...

Everytime when we letting our wifes drives our Model 3, we are definitely feels safe and sound as we all know that she will be protected by one of the safest car on the road. Yet you also better take a good look with your car before she drives away because you may not see your car back in pristine condition for months (of repair).

Reactions: Matt L

Can you post pics? Our Model 3 was sideswiped and the left rear door and quarter panel were damaged. The body shop was able to repair the quarter panel without replacing it.

What's with all the female bashing???? Is that really what we're here for?

Agreed. I don’t get it. I can freely admit my wife is a way better driver than me. I’ve been encouraging her to drive the Model 3 whenever possible so she can get used to it ... she still hasn’t experienced Autopilot - we need to take a road trip and get using it.

Soon.

Reactions: sceptic
Can you post pics? Our Model 3 was sideswiped and the left rear door and quarter panel were damaged. The body shop was able to repair the quarter panel without replacing it.

They said they will repair quarter panel because its made of steel, i guess cant do that with aluminum.

rear bumper replacement, new sensor, and repair rear quarter —paint. 5,000 bucks