Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color choices among inventory cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I have been reading posts about what is supposedly a large inventory of used and CPO cars, so out of curiosity i took a look. (I am not on the market myself, as my Model S lease has more than a year to go.)
What struck me right away was the lack of cars in my favorite color, multi-coat red, the color of my own. Among the "New inventory," there isn't a single red car in any configuration! I found this startling. Was my own car that rare a choice?
So I looked at my second choice, silver. Again, not a single car in silver. That is less surprising because the color has been discontinued for a while. Then I tried white. None of them, either! In fact, the ONLY color that seems to work is black! Can that be right? If so, it seems weird to me, that all the new Model S inventory would be black cars. (And all are 90Ds, to boot.) Do you suppose that means that Tesla wants their inventory fleet to be black? or that people have bought all the other inventory cars and no one wants the black ones?

So then I looked at used cars. When i select red, the only cars are either RWD, or performance models. No cars like mine -- non-performance AWD with battery packs of any size. Adding silver, there was one 90D a few more older cars with RWD.

I guess I can only conclude from this that my car preferences are very unusual! Otherwise I would expect to see more cars in these colors. (Well, except I have to admit there are many red performance cars. So perhaps what is unusual is to like red but not performance models...)

I don't know what I will do when my lease is up, but if one of the possibilities is to buy an inventory car, I hope there are more color choices then than there are now...!

On a related note, there are rumors Tesla is moving to a model where they will be more inventory available on an ongoing basis, esp for the 3:

Tesla is moving to more of an inventory sales approach for Model 3

If this is true, I think we're seeing that with the S already as well...for instance, 34 brand new (ie 50 miles) black/multi pattern black 75d showed up over the last week on ev-cpo

Btw, there is also a bunch of MC red in case OP wants to end his lease early...no grey interior though since it's been discontinued...:)

Reactions: David29
On a related note, there are rumors Tesla is moving to a model where they will be more inventory available on an ongoing basis, esp for the 3:

Tesla is moving to more of an inventory sales approach for Model 3

If this is true, I think we're seeing that with the S already as well...for instance, 34 brand new (ie 50 miles) black/multi pattern black 75d showed up over the last week on ev-cpo

Btw, there is also a bunch of MC red in case OP wants to end his lease early...no grey interior though since it's been discontinued...:)

Good point about the grey interior -- we love it and would hate to give it up! (Might be another reason to talk myself into buying this one at end of the lease and keeping it.!)

What struck me right away was the lack of cars in my favorite color, multi-coat red, the color of my own. Among the "New inventory," there isn't a single red car in any configuration! I found this startling. Was my own car that rare a choice?

Tesla is dumping a ton of New Inventory cars today -- there are 41 MCR cars added today, and 87 total. This doesn't include Used/CPO cars.

• Informative
Reactions: hmmm and David29
Tesla is dumping a ton of New Inventory cars today -- there are 41 MCR cars added today, and 87 total. This doesn't include Used/CPO cars.

@HankLloydRight: Not really related, but since you're "here"
I just stumbled upon this one Model S 75 5YJSA1E14HF197054 | Tesla
The Tesla page says $789 but your site says $953...($74.5 vs $81)...did they just drop it $6.5k? Your data is usually spot on, so I thought I would mention it in case there is something else going on...)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
@HankLloydRight: Not really related, but since you're "here"
I just stumbled upon this one Model S 75 5YJSA1E14HF197054 | Tesla
The Tesla page says $789 but your site says $953...($74.5 vs $81)...did they just drop it $6.5k? Your data is usually spot on, so I thought I would mention it in case there is something else going on...)

To keep from hammering Tesla's site, existing listings are updated periodically. I updated that one manually (although it would have been updated automatically later today). Yes, the price dropped $6,500. Today Tesla is listing a ton of new inventory, and dropping the prices significantly on existing listings.

To keep from hammering Tesla's site, existing listings are updated periodically. I updated that one manually (although it would have been updated automatically later today). Yes, the price dropped $6,500. Today Tesla is listing a ton of new inventory, and dropping the prices significantly on existing listings.

Ha, it must be end of quarter somewhere...thanks for the insights. And yes, don't upset the mothership, your site is way too valuable.

I definitely paid a premium to get a red CPO this time last year, but when it comes to car colors, I am a stickler and in the used market I often find myself searching for months to find the right combo. I tend to like the brighter colors (i.e. reds, yellows, orange, a nice blue, etc.) and for interiors I tend to like something in a caramel when available (relatively rare), but oftene "settle" for black.

Oh and as to waiting for the red...ZERO regrets (note: I even went to see another couple's red in person before making the final call as I am picky about the right "shade" of red too!).

Reactions: David29