Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Autopilot-Release-Date Is Right...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thx. Being the first one to receive 7.0 tonight would go a long way to easing my anxiety...

Andy - service center? Don't you have to pack a lunch (and dinner) to make it to the nearest service center?

Car had to go in for its "annual" 12,500 service.

I had first tried to schedule it near the end of July, when I had about 12,000 miles on the car. They couldn't get me in until September 14, when they came and picked it up. Had the whole discussion about wanting to charge me $600-plus, but the fee got waived this time. I had the LTE upgrade done at the same time. They brought the car back, left, and within a couple of hours I had realized that GPS wasn't working, so a few days later they had to come back for it.

It has not been a fun time. All told, they had the car about three weeks. They also wound up having to replace my wiring harness (at my expense), as the guy who installed my front camera switch screwed it all up, and there was water penetration, corrosion, etc. They undid my dashcam install too, so I'm now preparing to have both those things reinstalled, but planning to micromanage this installation, to make sure there's no repeat of what happened last time.

Car had to go in for its "annual" 12,500 service.

I had first tried to schedule it near the end of July, when I had about 12,000 miles on the car. They couldn't get me in until September 14, when they came and picked it up. Had the whole discussion about wanting to charge me $600-plus, but the fee got waived this time. I had the LTE upgrade done at the same time. They brought the car back, left, and within a couple of hours I had realized that GPS wasn't working, so a few days later they had to come back for it.

It has not been a fun time. All told, they had the car about three weeks. They also wound up having to replace my wiring harness (at my expense), as the guy who installed my front camera switch screwed it all up, and there was water penetration, corrosion, etc. They undid my dashcam install too, so I'm now preparing to have both those things reinstalled, but planning to micromanage this installation, to make sure there's no repeat of what happened last time.

Ouch.

BTW, I'm still 335 miles from my nearest "Service Center" too. Luckily Tesla has a "permanent" Ranger in New Orleans and I haven't been hit with the new "Service Charge" yet.

LOL

BTW, not to get this thread too off topic I have been very busy for the last couple of months and have not had the time I usually have to keep up here but I just noticed that I haven't received a firmware update since August and am still on .36 - are other P85D owners still that far behind or is my usual luck about to strike again and I'm "frozen" and won't get 7.0 either?

Mike
I'm still on .36 too.

So it seems pretty clear the member, lineofsight is the winner of the contest.

Congratulations, Mr. Lineofsight!

In my opinion, you are very well deserving, and for multiple reasons.

1. - you were one of the first few guesses!
2. - based on your sig, it seems like you missed AP by a matter of days.... Though I don't know either way, I hope you have the hardware, if not, at least you can have fun with the software release uncertainty.
3. - You have won the contest with a great deal of modesty, I'd have declared my victory and superiority publicly and unabashedly if it were my guess.

Anyway, thanks wk057 it has been a much needed distraction for my unending and often impatient anticipation.

Update:

Upon further reading I see people have received firmware upgrades before midnight pst on the 14th.

And I have no authority to declare a winner.

The above was written as my personal opinion and nothing else.

Last edited:
So it seems pretty clear the member, lineofsight is the winner of the contest.

Congratulations, Mr. Lineofsight!

In my opinion, you are very well deserving, and for multiple reasons.

1. - you were one of the first few guesses!
2. - based on your sig, it seems like you missed AP by a matter of days.... Though I don't know either way, I hope you have the hardware, if not, at least you can have fun with the software release uncertainty.
3. - You have won the contest with a great deal of modesty, I'd have declared my victory and superiority publicly and unabashedly if it were my guess.

Anyway, thanks wk057 it has been a much needed distraction for my unending and often impatient anticipation.

Update:

Upon further reading I see people have received firmware upgrades before midnight pst on the 14th.

And I have no authority to declare a winner.

The above was written as my personal opinion and nothing else.

Oneday, Thanks for your congratulatory post. But, the great and powerful WK057 has not yet spoken. I won't be writing any acceptance speech until he rules. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! Now I know how All Gore felt on election night.

Congratulations, LineofSight! You are more deserving of the prize than myself - as I recall, I asked wk057 for the earliest date free in October, whereas you used your Tesla-fu to pick out the right date. (That's a special power that comes about from owning a Model S/X.)

Congratulations, LineofSight! You are more deserving of the prize than myself - as I recall, I asked wk057 for the earliest date free in October, whereas you used your Tesla-fu to pick out the right date. (That's a special power that comes about from owning a Model S/X.)

Thank you very much for the kind comments Tom66. That was a very magnanimous concession speech! But, I am still going to defer to wk057 and his final determination of a winner. It is his very generous contest and he gets to make the call. Standing by with bated breath......

I reread my original post, and some followup posts for clarification.

I'm going to have to rule in favor of 2015-10-15 as the official day for the contest. I can find no confirmed public installs occurring before then. At best one or two people seem to perhaps have gotten the notification before midnight, but barely. As mentioned, since Tesla announced the release date at 2015-10-15, and at midnight PT for that date people starting getting update notifications... that's going to have to be the day.

So, the final winners! *drum roll*

In 3rd place.... *opens envelope* ..... bylund with 2015-10-13 in post #153!

In 2nd place.... *accidentally drops envelope... picks it up... opens it* .... tom66 with 2015-10-14 in post #158!

And finally, the winner of The Autopilot Release Date is right... with one of the very first entries in the contest way back in July...

*** LineofSight! ***
With post number 10 in this thread and the exact date of 2015-10-15, you, sir, have just taken the prize! I am impressed! :)

Congratulations to LineofSight, tom66, and bylund for winning the contest!

..... but here's the kicker. My PM privileges are still blocked here on TMC. So, the only way I can think of to securely verify prize addresses is if I leave some rep for you guys and you email me at the address I leave in your rep. That way I know it is you emailing me. :) I'm going to go back and leave rep on the winning entries now and when you can please email me the address you'd like your prize to mailed to.

Also, 3rd place prize is a surprise, and I've added to both the 2nd and 1st place prizes as well. But, that will be a surprise as well. Hopefully the recipients will post some photos when they get them. :) If not I probably will spill the beans eventually.

Also, some honorable mentions that will receive some consolation prizes! (So check your rep messages for my email!)

Herr X - So close! Off by one day! grrr! :cursing:
zzzzdoc - You were the most pessimistic in the contest, with a date just over a year from now

Thanks everyone for participating!

Edit: Notes: I've also lost the ability to update the first post of the thread at some point during my ban a couple of weeks ago. :(

Last edited:
WOOHOOO! Thank you wk057! (May I just call you wk?) This was a fun contest. I'll display the model proudly and tell everyone where I won it. And as it happens, the color of the model matches the color of my S! I am now looking forward to getting the actual 7.0 update. Tom66 is right that I don't have the autopilot hardware in my S. I just missed it on my September 22, 2014 delivery date. No complaints here though. I love the car and look for any excuse to go drive it. I would probably get into trouble while fiddling around with all the new gadgets anyway. You folks be careful out there and have fun. If you're in Jacksonville, Florida stop by and show me how it all works. Scott

First Mike posts, after not being around a lot lately and then Greg...feels like we're getting the old band back together or something!

Hah, I'm still lurking - much of the time. Recently life has become a lot more busy as my wife delivered twins on September 13th. Good thing I have such a safe, practical car!

I'm worried that my updates may have stalled. I had my car in for hail damage repair a few weeks ago and they disabled remote access (not sure if this would affect update downloads). When I finally got my car back there were no pending installations and I was still on .36. Prior to this I was getting regular updates like everyone else. Might not care if it wasn't for v7. Hopefully I'll get it today and it might be time to take the twins for a drive.