Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Autopilot-Release-Date Is Right...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
August is starting to look pretty good. :)

Elon Musk on Twitter:

Yeah, orginally I chose August 3, but then I reread Musk's comments before and he's talking about release to beta test, which I took to mean limited beta and not released in terms of this contest. So I am now down to late August. Of course, if he means beta as in release to everyone as a beta, well, then that's different.

Are we waiting for full autopilot "drive off-ramp to off-ramp" or just lane keep assist like Elon is talking about? They are different. For example Tesla mentioned you'd be able to tap the indicator and it would check if the lane was free, accelerate and merge in as necessary.

Are we waiting for full autopilot "drive off-ramp to off-ramp" or just lane keep assist like Elon is talking about? They are different. For example Tesla mentioned you'd be able to tap the indicator and it would check if the lane was free, accelerate and merge in as necessary.

Original post by wk057:

"Contest time!

So, for fun it was mentioned in my pretty heated thread about autopilot delay woes to do a Price Is Right style guessing game (thanks dsm363 for the idea) for the public release date for the software update that enables the highway lane keeping feature of Tesla's Autopilot."

&

• "Again, we're looking for highway lane keeping. As in, get on an interstate, enable autopilot, and the car steers for you. This is the feature we're talking about here."

So do I get some Snausages or Milk Bones for selecting the date where Elon mentioned the Autopilot Release?

He's mentioned it a few times over the past several months... generally in response to questions and not volunteered, though, so that's positive I guess.

However, at this point the old saying comes to mind: Talk is cheap.

They're going to have to get moving on this and release it. :)

I guess that this FW is not going out to the beta group first; beta testers are there to look for bugs and UI functionality, neither of which are really applicable when it comes to AP especially after such extensive testing internally.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on this. But how do you reconcile your thoughts on this with the comments Musk had made in the past relating to when he expected to release the update to the beta testers?