Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remotely related doesn't cut it. The onus is 100% on the manufacturer to prove that the modifications that you added directly caused the part failure that they're denying warranty coverage on. The Magnuson-Moss act is very clear in this regard. If you tint your windows they can't deny warranty coverage on a brake caliper defect. However, if you change out your suspension they could potentially deny warranty coverage on a related suspension component like a control arm or similar.

The primary issue when the conversation of factory warranty comes up is that most people don't even realize that they have rights in this regard. When some desk jockey at a service center tells them they're not covering the warranty they slink out the door with their tail between their legs assuming that's the gospel word of Tesla. The reality is it's just some lackey that doesn't know how to do their job. This is evidenced by the dozens of posts every day on this forum alone citing some Tesla employee giving misinformation as fact because of poor training/knowledge.

It's important to understand that replacing factory parts with aftermarket parts could potentially void portions of the warranty so long as they're related. Equally important is to understand that you've got specific protections in this regard and it's important to know how the law protects you from manufacturers blatantly claiming your modification caused and unrelated parts failure.
Yes this is a good point. It is a hassle though if Tesla decides to dig their heels in and deny coverage.

One thing I would be concerned about in particular is changing ride height. I would certainly consider aftermarket suspension at stock ride height as I think the risk would be minimized.

Reactions: tm1v2
I remember that accident.. I'm pretty sure someone died. Glad we could use that person's death as an example for suspension.
Found it. Not even a week ago. Your memory is about as keen as your sense of humor.

No fatalities. Not even any serious injuries.

Found it. Not even a week ago. Your memory is about as keen as your sense of humor.

No fatalities. Not even any serious injuries.

"The ETron is particularly good about this. Notice how well the cabin was isolated from battery movements after this bump?"

Seems like you tried turning this unfortunate accident into an easy joke.

"The ETron is particularly good about this. Notice how well the cabin was isolated from battery movements after this bump?"

Seems like you tried turning this unfortunate accident turned a jackass running a red light, smashing into another car and having his poorly built overpriced car fall apart into an easy joke.
If you are going to be whine about my posting, at least be accurate.

Temperature makes a large difference in the ride of my 2020 LRMY, 19" Gemini wheels with the OE Continental Procontact RX tires. The worst ride I have experienced in my Model Y was this past December when temperatures were around 10F. The tire pressure was OK at 41 PSI but the ride was unexpectedly jiggly. Judging, comparing the new comfort suspension may have to wait until spring or summer unless you live in south FL.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Temperature makes a large difference in the ride of my 2020 LRMY, 19" Gemini wheels with the OE Continental Procontact RX tires. The worst ride I have experienced in my Model Y was this past December when temperatures were around 10F. The tire pressure was OK at 41 PSI but the ride was unexpectedly jiggly. Judging, comparing the new comfort suspension may have to wait until spring or summer unless you live in south FL.
Temperature also makes my 21 MYLR rattle more…

2021 MYP here and agree with others the suspension/ride quality was an afterthought by Tesla. Especially for passengers in the backseat, they could feel every bump. Tesla essentially admitted their mistake by introducing the comfort suspension, but no recourse for existing owners.

I read up on the forums and decided to go aftermarket to improve things. I installed the MPP comfort coilovers, and once the tires were bald, swapped the Pirellis to Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 in a larger diameter (275 front/295 rear). The ride is noticeably more compliant now. No real regrets aside from the price tag, but still much better than getting a different car.

another old people suspension complaint thread who didn't know what they are getting into. Test drive much?
Lol agreed. Mostly hate the “ I had this other X car and it was better”. So what? I had an 80’s Cadillac Sedandiville that you could drive over logs and not know it. Granted it would bounce for 7 blocks later. Don’t love the suspension, test drive, pick a different product or customize. Not really that complicated. Lol

I've read countless complaints about the Model Y suspension and also this thread. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I'm missing some nerves in my backside given that I just have not found the ride in my '21 MYP to be as horrendous as some make it out to be.

Is the suspension in my MYP stiff? Absolutely. I would not argue that it's not a stiff suspension. But having driven it for almost a year and a half over 30k miles, the only times where it felt pretty bouncy is when I drive over some roads with washboard (do the kids today know what a washboard is??) surfaces. Otherwise I have not really thought about the car's ride quality much when driving it. My typical passengers (wife and kids) also have not mentioned the ride being too bumpy to me so far. I have coffee/tea/juice in the car all the time and I have not ever spilled anything from the car riding too roughly.

Anyway, I'm sure the ride of the Model Y does suck given how much complaining I've seen about it. But I guess it just hasn't been something that's an issue for me personally.

Lol agreed. Mostly hate the “ I had this other X car and it was better”. So what? I had an 80’s Cadillac Sedandiville that you could drive over logs and not know it. Granted it would bounce for 7 blocks later. Don’t love the suspension, test drive, pick a different product or customize. Not really that complicated. Lol
But I’m expecting this car to be perfect in every way, is that too much to ask for??

I just test drove a new MYLR with the 21” wheels. My biggest concerns are the rear collision and lack of blind spot. In fast busy traffic “i40” looking down at the screen takes your eyes off the road and by the time you look again, a motorcycle,etc. could be in your blind spot as it only takes a split second for this to happen. The rear glass is very small and tough to see the corners even with the mirrors properly adjusted. Something else was unusual I haven’t experienced with my my wife’s car, is that the MY AP would move me the car to the right or slow down anytime I came up to a vehicle on my left side and the wheel makes you turn the steering wheel to the right slightly so it knows you’re paying attention, while every other car just has you put your hands on the wheel. Not sure I like turning my wheel every 5mins. to keep AP active. The ride is great on smooth roads. Very quiet and relaxing, however it’s absolutely horrible over small road patches, potholes,etc at slower speeds. I find it tosses your head around when making turns over road edges, patches as well. The seat bottoms seem pretty narrow as well unless you’re built like a thin mint. This was not a deal breaker as it wasn’t so bad and the seat overall was pretty comfortable. Now that Elon just raised up the price $2k because of the Govt rebate price restriction that we don’t qualify for, it puts a bad taste in our mouth.

I just test drove a new MYLR with the 21” wheels. My biggest concerns are the rear collision and lack of blind spot. In fast busy traffic “i40” looking down at the screen takes your eyes off the road and by the time you look again, a motorcycle,etc. could be in your blind spot as it only takes a split second for this to happen. The rear glass is very small and tough to see the corners even with the mirrors properly adjusted. Something else was unusual I haven’t experienced with my my wife’s car, is that the MY AP would move me the car to the right or slow down anytime I came up to a vehicle on my left side and the wheel makes you turn the steering wheel to the right slightly so it knows you’re paying attention, while every other car just has you put your hands on the wheel. Not sure I like turning my wheel every 5mins. to keep AP active. The ride is great on smooth roads. Very quiet and relaxing, however it’s absolutely horrible over small road patches, potholes,etc at slower speeds. I find it tosses your head around when making turns over road edges, patches as well. The seat bottoms seem pretty narrow as well unless you’re built like a thin mint. This was not a deal breaker as it wasn’t so bad and the seat overall was pretty comfortable. Now that Elon just raised up the price $2k because of the Govt rebate price restriction that we don’t qualify for, it puts a bad taste in our mouth.
Not sure why you would need to look down to view the blind spot cameras. You can move those to the top of the screen very easily and work fine there. You also don’t need to keep turning the wheel if you simply keep your hands on it as suggested.

Your state doesn't require you to physically check the side mirrors and turn your head to make sure there is no car in the blind spots during your driver's license testing?
Why would you look down to the screen first? You are supposed to check the side mirrors and check the blind spots next.

Your state doesn't require you to physically check the side mirrors and turn your head to make sure there is no car in the blind spots during your driver's license testing?
Why would you look down to the screen first? You are supposed to check the side mirrors and check the blind spots next.
Funny but the side mirrors are a bit smaller than I’m used to. I’ve owned well over 30 cars in my 20yrs of driving and the only car that had worse blind spot was my 458 italia. It would think at high tech car would have a simple icon in the mirror. If you haven’t noticed, people drive like poo and your blind spot could be free and all of a sudden some jerk flies into your lane. The blind spot icon works flawlessly when this happens.

Reactions: Daekwan
Funny but the side mirrors are a bit smaller than I’m used to. I’ve owned well over 30 cars in my 20yrs of driving and the only car that had worse blind spot was my 458 italia. It would think at high tech car would have a simple icon in the mirror. If you haven’t noticed, people drive like poo and your blind spot could be free and all of a sudden some jerk flies into your lane. The blind spot icon works flawlessly when this happens.
NXTGEN Tesla Model Y Blind Spot Mirrors

Suma Performance Mirrors for Tesla Model Y