Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny but the side mirrors are a bit smaller than I’m used to. I’ve owned well over 30 cars in my 20yrs of driving and the only car that had worse blind spot was my 458 italia. It would think at high tech car would have a simple icon in the mirror. If you haven’t noticed, people drive like poo and your blind spot could be free and all of a sudden some jerk flies into your lane. The blind spot icon works flawlessly when this happens.
You drive a Ferrari and you let those people flies into your lane WHILE you are changing lane??? =)

• Funny
Reactions: hmmwv and richyrich
Hating on folks concerned about ride quality huh guys? Still growing up are we?

OP:
Try driving the new Ariya. My 1 ton van rides better. Or the Mach-E. A fantastic ride. Stunning how good it was for standard suspension. Until I drove it I just assume EV's due to their weight, rode badly.

I can add only three things:
  1. I will run my YLR at 38PSI from the moment it arrives. Screw range and tire wear (not that I expect either to be significantly affected)
  2. I will start looking for 18's.
  3. I'm certain there are tire choices that will be both quieter and softer. It's an opinion, but I believe Tesla caters to a performance focus, even on the YLR.
Note all three of those will strongly affect the ride deficits you spoke to.

Luck to you!

-d

This right here. When you first get the car, the ride feels great. Pretty much happy to finally get it.

After a few months is when I started noticing the harshness. Now I can't stop feeling it. Just try my best to avoid rough patches...
I would certainly agree here. A test drive, riding with a friend or family member.. or even a weekend rental is far different than actual ownership. It's obvious that any of those rides are shorter than your combined total commute, but most importantly, its the routine of driving the same exact same commute daily, you realize the actual differences from A to B. I know where all the bumps in the road are. I even know which lane Im usually in to avoid them.

I say as a person who literally just took my OEM 20" Induction/Goodyear F1 wheel/tire combo off my 2021 Model Y which was installed prior to delivery... and installed the OEM 19" Gemini/Continental ProContact that I bought slightly used off a 2023 Model Y. I took my first long drive in the car this morning and was able to drive about 60 miles using my same daily commute.

While the ride on the smaller 19" wheels with the larger 45 ratio sidewall is certainly more cushioned. There is still not a dramatic difference in overall feel. I guess I would say the car feels 10% smoother if I had to number on it. The sharp thud of bigger potholes and asphalt patches are still there.. and so are the annoying little rattles and squeaks in the vehicle when driving over anything but pavement that is as smooth as glass. I expected a bit more going from the slimmer 20" OEM setup.. to the thicker 19" setup. That said I'll continue to monitor the differences.. as this 60 miles drive is one that I take daily and have done for the past year.

At this point, I've just accepted this is the way this car drives and do my best to avoid larger patches of road imperfections. I still very much enjoy driving the car and the overall experience. I still think Tesla provides the best overall EV experience. That said I don't myself buying another Model Y until these types of issues are firmly addressed & the ride/noise has significantly improved. My wife owns an ID.4 which I drive a few times a month.. and the difference in ride quality & noise isolation is literally night and day. It's actually a bit embarrassing that the ride on the Model Y is so unrefined considering the price, features, and technology.

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 201
Tesla Model Y is a SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle), not a luxury touring vehicle.

While some might not be happy with the firm suspension, others will rejoice in the nimble handling.

Umm, there's a lot that's off here.

"Sport Utility Vehicle" has nothing to do with performance driving. The term "sport utility vehicle" actually means the opposite. Its means this is the vehicle you would use to transport yourself, your sports gear, and other sports participants to an actual sporting event. So a vehicle designed for literally a soccer mom (or Dad lol). But yes.. skiing.. kayaking.. bicycling.. anything where you need to haul big gear. Or drive off-road (grass, mud, snow, dirt, gravel). Or just hauling a lot of people AND stuff.. is what the SUV is designed for. This is why the original SUVs from 30+ years were all built on a pickup truck frame. This is why more modern crossover-style SUVs still come equipped with optional AWD and a tow hitch. Take notice the Model 3 has never had the option for a factory tow hitch.

I would argue the vast majority of SUVs are anything BUT sporty.
Their suspension is anything BUT firm.
And their handling is anything BUT nimble.

I would even argue the vast majority of SUVs ARE now being used as luxury touring vehicles.

As that is the primary purpose for many expensive SUVs. Dont believe me? Look at the next time a VIP, celebrity, or limo transports a client. I can almost guarantee you they will arrive in something that is the equivalent of a black Cadillac Escalade. With a driver who gets out, walks around, and opens the door for their client to arrive in style.

Last edited:
Funny but the side mirrors are a bit smaller than I’m used to. I’ve owned well over 30 cars in my 20yrs of driving and the only car that had worse blind spot was my 458 italia. It would think at high tech car would have a simple icon in the mirror. If you haven’t noticed, people drive like poo and your blind spot could be free and all of a sudden some jerk flies into your lane. The blind spot icon works flawlessly when this happens.
Let me correct this, I’ve been driving for 30yrs and owned 20 cars. I truly wish it was the other way around. I hate getting old. Lol!
You drive a Ferrari and you let those people flies into your lane WHILE you are changing lane??? =)
I don’t any more. Sold it a few years ago. It was fun for awhile but constantly having to worry about people practically rear ending others or me to take photos was frustrating. Also, when I park further away and then some feel the need to purposely park right next to you with plenty of open spots clearly closer to the store they are going into was annoying. I was walking out of WF towards my car where i had several open spots on each side of me and saw some young punk in a old Subaru back in and out until he was maybe 4” from his driver side door to my passenger door and about to open his door into my car to create a nice dent. Before he could get out of his car; I literally ran and smacked the back of his car so he knew I was there. He immediately backed up and didn’t say a thing and just left. Sorry for the long story but this is why I sold it and people today just don’t respect the fact people can afford nice cars and it creates jealously.

• Love
Reactions: tm1v2 and Daekwan
I just test drove a new MYLR with the 21” wheels. My biggest concerns are the rear collision and lack of blind spot. In fast busy traffic “i40” looking down at the screen takes your eyes off the road and by the time you look again, a motorcycle,etc. could be in your blind spot as it only takes a split second for this to happen. The rear glass is very small and tough to see the corners even with the mirrors properly adjusted. Something else was unusual I haven’t experienced with my my wife’s car, is that the MY AP would move me the car to the right or slow down anytime I came up to a vehicle on my left side and the wheel makes you turn the steering wheel to the right slightly so it knows you’re paying attention, while every other car just has you put your hands on the wheel. Not sure I like turning my wheel every 5mins. to keep AP active. The ride is great on smooth roads. Very quiet and relaxing, however it’s absolutely horrible over small road patches, potholes,etc at slower speeds. I find it tosses your head around when making turns over road edges, patches as well. The seat bottoms seem pretty narrow as well unless you’re built like a thin mint. This was not a deal breaker as it wasn’t so bad and the seat overall was pretty comfortable. Now that Elon just raised up the price $2k because of the Govt rebate price restriction that we don’t qualify for, it puts a bad taste in our mouth.
MYLR doesn’t have 21” wheels from factory. It has 19” or 20”. only MYP has 21” from factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: richyrich
Ah, the demise of the sportsman in America. Now we've got people thinking that "sport" in SUV means sporty performance and nimble handling. Too much cement where some of these folks live I guess.

Anybody that seriously thinks a Model Y is anything but crossover (think cute/tall station wagon) has seriously failed to understand the history and intent of actual sport utility vehicles. You know; 4-runners, Grand Cherokee's, Bronco's, the older Explorers, etc. 10" of ground clearance, dual range 4x4 transaxle, 5,000lb towing, locking diffs, etc. You know - Sport Utility. You could pull a snowmobile trailer, snatch a boat from the deep, drive back into your deer stand, even go off-roading and mudding. As in SportsMan.

Today we've got folks that pretend these things on gameboys and call a Tesla an SUV.

Meanwhile, now that these CROSSOVERS are actually tall station wagons & or cool looking minivans, the market gets split into those that prefer touring/range/luxury and those that prefer performance. You'd almost think somebody would create a performance version and a touring version. Then the performance crowd can focus on their needs and the touring folks should get theirs. Kind of like the Mach E has a premium and a GT gersion.

Oh, wait! You say Tesla did that? They literally have a performance version and a touring version? Huh, imagine that. Heck, now you're not going to tell me that the folks that want a good ride in the touring version are getting told it's really a tall sports car are you? Naw, I don't believe you. Who could possibly confuse the performance crowd with the long range touring crowd and then top it off by telling somebody their wrong?

SMH. Ah the internet.

Nice! I like the second option “suma”. Is this what you have? That’s the problem with many U.S cars, is the actual mirror itself. These remind me of my Ferrari mirrors.
I installed the NXTGEN mirrors in 2021 as soon as these were available for the Model Y. I thought they were worth trying, could always upgrade to the Suma or other aftermarket mirrors if needed. So far the NXYGEN mirror have been working well, have not fallen off.

Tesla Model 3 Wing Mirror Showdown - US OEM - EUR OEM - Suma - Hansshow

Last edited:
So... any mods want to *chime* in as this thread slowly derails into obivion?

This website is way way way (WAY) too big to assume that moderators read every single post in every single thread that is made. If you want to bring a particular post to moderators attention, you can report it and it will show up in a moderation queue for mods with access to that specific subforum to review.

We do allow disagreement, but not what we consider to be personal attacks or excessive rudeness, and thats going to be one of those "know it when you see it" type things.

These type of topics usually bring people who are both very pro, and very anti tesla to them. Frankly, most people fall in the middle, but there are a small contingent of both pro and anti tesla people who like to comment on these type threads.

This website is way way way (WAY) too big to assume that moderators read every single post in every single thread that is made. If you want to bring a particular post to moderators attention, you can report it and it will show up in a moderation queue for mods with access to that specific subforum to review.

We do allow disagreement, but not what we consider to be personal attacks or excessive rudeness, and thats going to be one of those "know it when you see it" type things.
I understand and would definitely report if it were a much more serious matter.

This was more of a... passing mention, I guess.

I had a chance to test drive a 2023 LR Y last week while our 2021 LR Y was in for a seatbelt fault service.

Overall, the comfort suspension is smoother but not by a huge margin. It doesn't suddenly ride like a luxury suspension but the 2023 with 20s did dampen road irregularities better than our 2021 with 19s. If I had to sum it up, the 2023 comfort suspension is less bumpy and jittery. It wasn't a night and day difference to me, but is a more composed ride than before. The difference isn't worth us trading in our 2021 that was delivered with fantastic build quality, plus I'd rather keep the USS on our Y.