Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried this. A credit card is too thick and can't be inserted between the glass and the bottom of the door. A razor blade might go in there, but I won't try that. I did attempt a very thin sharp plastic spatula that was half the thickness of a credit card and that couldn't breach the gap. Here's my thought on why. When Tesla began using the new tempered glass, it was thicker than the old stuff, and the design of the door wasn't changed. There's just less room, and more friction. So, Tesla made an annoying problem worse.
Ice freezing the doors shut has been a problem forever, not just with Tesla’s. The best solution is the one posted above - applying a hydrophobic protectant to the seals. I park in a ramp at work and in a garage at home so it’s not an issue for me now but I’ve done this with other cars I’ve owned and it helps significantly.

I needed this because I actually have a 22 MYP right before the comfort suspension and was kind of thinking of trading it in for the better ride. I will end up losing the USS though which really sucks
The struts and shocks are ~$600-700 to swap to comfort suspension. Very easy for an intermediate DIYer or a piece of cake for a shop to perform. No sense getting a different car just for the 2023 suspension. You don't even need an alignment afterwards.

In my opinion the comfort suspension is not bad overall and I prefer in general softer (comfort) suspension over stiff (sport) ones.
Yes, over bumpy roads it gets busy but I think a lot of it is just the noise from the frame, it's a heavy car.
There are no really harsh movements translated into the driver body and on the other hand it's not too floaty or springy for too long after the bumps so I think it's tuned well.
After all, Model Y is not an expensive car relatively so I don't think it's reasonable to expect some premium coil or air suspension on it.
I live where roads are terrible and at first it did feel a bit firm (probably also because I was used to a softer suspension from my previous car) but after 5k miles I really like the suspension, not sure if the suspension (or the tyres) got softened or I just got used to it but if really feels like a happy medium between too harsh and too soft.

I just traded in our old 21 MYLR 7-Seater w/Inductions on a new 23 MYP and I think the ride is much better in the MYP vs the old car. I was sort of surprised at this, because after all the handwringing I'd heard about the Ubers being a smoking pile, I really expected the worst...but was surprised on the positive side. I'm not saying anyone would think it a "perfect" ride or anything, but I think it's "better" personally. When the craptastic OEM rubber is worn clean, I'll likely go to a square setup on 19's and maybe it'll be even better then.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
Yeah, plenty of high-end cars use low profile 21" tires and don't ride like trash. They certainly don't make the ride any better, but a car can still ride like butter on 275/35-21s. Teslas just don't. But any improvement in suspension helps.

I went to 19" Geminis on VikingContact winter tires and the ride is still rough on my 2022, it's really not night and day going from 21" to 19". There is more to be gained by the comfort suspension than changing the wheel and tire combo, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
We have a 2021 MYP and 2023 MYLR (with comfort suspension). Could not tell any difference really, and I’ve had different sport sedans with stock and modified suspensions. Just put H&R springs and Koni Yellow shocks on the MYLR and that made a noticeable difference with respect to impact harshness and sproinginess.

definitely need more feedback. Which setup is less harsh?

I have a '23 Model Y LR. It has the comfort suspension. It still feels stiff to me at 16K miles. I had my windows fixed by a mobile tech today who asked about how I liked the car after 10 months of ownership. I said I liked it alot, but the ride was stiffer than I'd prefer. He said it should soften between 30 and 40K miles. I guess I'll see as I plan on keeping it for many more years. Does anyone have a Model Y with that kind of mileage, that can weigh in?

• Informative
Reactions: fiehlsport
Same car with 19k miles and my observation is that the ride is noticeably better than when new. Shortly after I picked it up I was on the fence about doing coilovers as I did on a 2019 M3LR. Decided to wait at least 10k then decide. At this point I’m sticking with OEM comfort that came stock.

I'd suggest an alignment afterwards if the car has never been aligned.
Certainly good to do if you're questioning your factory alignment - they're often very poor. If tire wear is spot on and you're happy with the way the car drives, though, I've found that getting it aligned usually makes it worse. (Sometimes they will add rear toe to get into spec, when it was closer to zero before with less tire wear as a result - for example)

But my point on not getting it aligned was more of a reference to the service manual stating that with these components, alignment is not necessary after service since the points of adjustment are not touched. Tesla's words - not mine. :)

Reactions: ngng
Certainly good to do if you're questioning your factory alignment - they're often very poor. If tire wear is spot on and you're happy with the way the car drives, though, I've found that getting it aligned usually makes it worse. (Sometimes they will add rear toe to get into spec, when it was closer to zero before with less tire wear as a result - for example)

But my point on not getting it aligned was more of a reference to the service manual stating that with these components, alignment is not necessary after service since the points of adjustment are not touched. Tesla's words - not mine. :)
Fair points all around

Got a set of KW V3's over the comfort suspension, after some dialling in I can pretty much say the comfort suspension was unacceptable. but not to the ride, just the wobbling the car makes on every imperfection, was sitting up straight in the chair all the time. now it's much smoother and drives more like a car, but saying that the alignment is key. I hit a deep hole and my right-back wheel was upset (needed re-alignment), it worsened the drive even a KW couldn't make up for... for me I'll re-align the car every year from now on. just to keep it set