Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coming Soon - Speed Limit Sign Recognition and Roundabout Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have AP2 without FSD and in the last few releases mine now will slow for roundabouts in a much improved and more repeatable way, but it also freaks out at roundabouts if I approach them too enthusiastically and applies steering correction for my safety!

Actually that is quite annoying but I assume this means Tesla are becoming more aware of roundabouts even in older hardware.

Here's my concern though - there are several roundabouts which it will go barrelling into a full road speed if I dont take over from AP.

This remains the concern with AP - not what is "sees" and can do - but what it misses.
Four cyclists out of five is very impressive ... unless you are the fifth cyclist.
Every fifth roundabout with a Tesla parked on it ...

Reactions: goRt
Speed limit sign reading definitely good news, I’ve found the incantation which gets it to auto-adjust max speed to the mapped speed limit, so once it reads the actual signs that will go together nicely

The roundabout support Green found was only stopping for them though, not navigating them. That can be seen here, added bonus, this guy is in Australia but on what looks like A/B testing version 2020.20.13 whereas the main version is 2020.20.12

https://twitter.com/teslastraya/status/1271336617706319876?s=21

FFBBE8D4-2803-4EFE-92DF-2FB56B2E9AC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: drewpost
Presumably stopping for roundabouts is FSD*, visual recognition of speed limits is as GPS speed limits, ie standard autopilot? Although, the car honouring speed limits could become FSD only?

* Some talk on Australian section that its not confined to FSD. I wonder if this is an incorrect conclusion based upon the functionality works whilst on TACC in the conclusion that this is standard TACC and not additional functionality to TACC from the FSD package. This confusion also occurred in the US with traffic light stopping, but later confirmed as being only on FSD/HW3.

Cool & you don't need FSD to use it!

Really? Is that temporary?

Nope. It’s considered a basic AutoPilot feature.

Last edited:
It’s changing some speed limits for
Me now. I obviously got some combination of settings right ‘cause it’s doing it all over the place now, the preceding 8 months it had never done it.

it’s only reducing speed for me, never increasing. e.g. it will do it 50>40, 60>40, 60>30 but hasn’t done 50>70 etc

there’s a spot on the A1 where it will go 70>70 and if I have it set to say 72 it will reduce max back down to 70

but there’s also a spot on the same road where limit changes 70>50 and max doesn’t change, it barrels through at 70.

The tenders are great but unless it will actually change the speed of the car it's will be pointless. I'd rather have the speed change than them showing up on screen with nice renders!
Not how the vision system works I'm afraid. That on screen asset will be tagged with its meaning - the graphics represent the data structure behind them. Also, the other 50% of people would say the other way around to you - why are the graphics innacurate, it's doing the right thing but there is nothing on screen.

I don't think there is much point evaluating point samples like this too much. It's exciting, but it's the trajectory it and other features evidence that actually matters. This will likely be a long way from perfect to start with, but it will move in that direction then the next feature will arrive.

I don't have FSD, but I like watching the progress from a comp sci pov :)

Reactions: m3gt2
It’s changing some speed limits for
Me now. I obviously got some combination of settings right ‘cause it’s doing it all over the place now, the preceding 8 months it had never done it.

it’s only reducing speed for me, never increasing. e.g. it will do it 50>40, 60>40, 60>30 but hasn’t done 50>70 etc

there’s a spot on the A1 where it will go 70>70 and if I have it set to say 72 it will reduce max back down to 70

but there’s also a spot on the same road where limit changes 70>50 and max doesn’t change, it barrels through at 70.
On the increases I have to allow it 1/4 a mile sometimes?

This is great news as speed limit sign recognition is something I’ve really missed, especially as the data on lots of roads round me is hopelessly inaccurate. All our local roads have been 20mph for years but my M3 hasn’t got a clue.

As with all things Tesla, though, I’ll wait to see how it works in practice. When I bought my car I was profoundly disappointed by the performance of the windscreen wipers, auto headlights, TACC, AP and various other things and nine months on there’s still lots of room for improvement. Tesla does have a habit of releasing half baked products.

Here's a video of 2020.20.13 from Australia showing off the new roundabout icon in the UI indicating Stop Control feature is stopping. Doesn't look like there's significant improvement in Autopilot's ability to take a roundabout though -- that probably is waiting for the Autopilot rewrite using all cameras to better understand sharper turns.

Here's a video of 2020.20.13 from Australia showing off the new roundabout icon in the UI indicating Stop Control feature is stopping. Doesn't look like there's significant improvement in Autopilot's ability to take a roundabout though -- that probably is waiting for the Autopilot rewrite using all cameras to better understand sharper turns.

Starting 17:40, his merge onto motorway very different to how ours seems to 'work', or doesn't. How his car behaved and lane change visualisation made perfect sense, unlike ours. I never trust motorway merges (do point that I do not do them unless we get a dedicated lane), most often of not, it wants to run me right off at the apex. It also explains the erroneous lane change request that we get. For him, that lane change was into the motorway, for us, its a lane change into second lane. Does anyone know if he needs to confirm lane changes? Never got to notice his NoA customisations.

Thanks - just noticed that.

Whist exiting motorway lane change confirmations are not needed even in UK, it just happens. But its never been clear to me if the same is true on entry to motorway - I always assumed that it also did the lane change irrespective, but I have on many occasions doubted that and occasionally indicated. It makes no sense not to do the merge even with confirmations required but thats certainly how it behaves!

Just installed 2020.28.1 MS R FSD and struggling to find anything interesting except for changes in behaviour of air suspension, I followed the reference to see details in manual.

There seems to be a lot of warnings now that virtually no automated feature should be relied upon to do anything, and several speed related issues including some events that could come under phantom braking are spelled out as possible car behaviour that drivers need to take into account. (these warnings may have been there for some time, but if so, evidently few owners have noticed given posts about unintended speed changes).

One interesting thing I did notice for the first time was this:

IMAG9060.jpg

There are references to speed limit recognition from signs, and how signs on adjacent roads can cause incorrect speed, also temporary and non conforming signs may not be read correctly.

How long have these warnings been there?