Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear, Tesla didn't turn its first annual profit until 18 years after its inception
This isn't about Lucid, Rivian and Polestar, but Ford, GM and Stellantis.

I don't want to get into this too much, given the forum. The point is that Elon has fooled people into believing that certain technologies are easier to implement at an industrial scale than they really are. He finds the best and brightest, and he works them hard. Few CEOs have the chutzpah to do that. Dave Calhoun is perhaps the antithesis of that type of CEO.

Tory Bruno provided an explanation of ULA's decision. He said that valve "chattering" is a state that valves like it can get into. The correction is simple, which is to cycle the valve; close it and then reopen it. But ULA has a rule that they don't change the state of the propellant load hardware once crew are onboard. So they couldn't cycle the valve to clear the chattering. As soon as everyone was clear, they cycled the valve and the chattering stopped.

Thus: abundance of caution.

Well, I mean LOX definitely IS cold... I'd chatter too...

I believe I read they were going to skip the window today to give extra time to address the issue and target Friday night?

On edit: Yup:

The next opportunity to launch Starliner on its first crew test flight will be Friday night at 9 pm EDT (01:00 UTC Saturday). NASA announced overnight that officials decided to skip a launch opportunity Tuesday night to allow engineers more time to study the valve problem and decide whether they need to replace it.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
This isn't about Lucid, Rivian and Polestar, but Ford, GM and Stellantis.

I don't want to get into this too much, given the forum. The point is that Elon has fooled people into believing that certain technologies are easier to implement at an industrial scale than they really are. He finds the best and brightest, and he works them hard. Few CEOs have the chutzpah to do that. Dave Calhoun is perhaps the antithesis of that type of CEO.

Not only do CEO's not have the gumption to do that, their background is finance, MBA, etc... Elon is a nerd. He's an engineer at heart, and a brutally pragmatic one. He does CEO/business stuff because he feels he has to. The result is that he understands what physics dictate CAN be done, doesn't care about how it's BEEN done. and can calculate what it should cost.

One of my favorite examples of that from Vance's book...

(rumages around my e-book... ah here it is..):

SpaceX needed an actuator that would trigger the gimbal action used to steer the upper stage of Falcon 1. Davis had never built a piece of hardware before in his life and naturally went out to find some suppliers who could make an electromechanical actuator for him. He got a quote back for $120,000. “Elon laughed,” Davis said. “He said, ‘That part is no more complicated than a garage door opener. Your budget is five thousand dollars. Go make it work.’” Davis spent nine months building the actuator. At the end of the process, he toiled for three hours writing an e-mail to Musk covering the pros and cons of the device. The e-mail went into gory detail about how Davis had designed the part, why he had made various choices, and what its cost would be. As he pressed send, Davis felt anxiety surge through his body knowing that he’d given his all for almost a year to do something an engineer at another aerospace company would not even attempt. Musk rewarded all of this toil and angst with one of his standard responses. He wrote back, “Ok.” The actuator Davis designed ended up costing $3,900 and flew with Falcon 1 into space. “I put every ounce of intellectual capital I had into that e-mail and one minute later got that simple response,” Davis said. “Everyone in the company was having that same experience. One of my favorite things about Elon is his ability to make enormous decisions very quickly. That is still how it works today.”

There aren't many CEOs (like zero) that can do that....

Last edited:
Wow, five days between restarts for a simple issue. Boeing can't do anything quickly.
Two days really. Wednesday and Thursday. I assume they're replacing the valve in question, and may be inspecting other valves of the same type. They need Friday for preparations of both crew and vehicle. Remember that this is a manned launch with an instantaneous launch window. It's not like cycling a test vehicle for a static fire.

What am I missing that you guys are talking about 5 days? My post above that @Cosmacelf replied to has NASA announcing May seventeenth as the new date:

NASA’s Boeing Crew Flight Test now is targeted to launch no earlier than 6:16 p.m. EDT Friday, May 17

That's 11 days from the original date of the 6th. (The originally rescheduled date was Friday the 10th... but that was only 4 days later...)

What am I missing that you guys are talking about 5 days?
I wanted to make a joke about using a different planet as our standard day, but we only seem to know the day length of a single exoplanet, and it isn't the needed 53 hour day to make the math work out.

@Cosmacelf said five days, so I ran with five days. I may have given you a thumbs-up for having posted the update, but that doesn't mean I actually read it.

In truth, I'm sure it was a case of "in one eyeball and out the other". Everyone throws around dates, then misses them. In the end, stuff happens when it happens, and I'm certainly not organizing my schedule around spaceflight dates.

But now we can start trashing traditional spaceflight companies for an even longer delay (where we have no idea what the source of the delay might be).

Maybe its time dilation in play!

We only know a single exoplanet day length? Huh, I wouldn't have thought that...
It’s hard enough to find an exoplanet and try to understand the composition and possible atmosphere and temperature, but measuring the rate of rotation is also very difficult. It has been done, and more than once:

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1414/

https://science.nasa.gov/missions/hubble/hubble-directly-measures-rotation-of-cloudy-super-jupiter/

https://news.mit.edu/2016/highly-eccentric-extreme-weather-exoplanet-0328

Speculated here years ago during 'Capture the Flag' that NASA astronauts assigned to Starliner could age out before this flight ever launches. Half joking, but unfortunately the boomers are all but gone. Butch is 61 and Suni 58. Better yet, NASA's bio on Don Pettit show he's still listed as active at 69.