Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Communication Error, Try Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my MY decided to not listen to me, and we aren’t even married. :)

When I attempt to speak any audio commands it doesn’t hear me and about 10 seconds later it displays “Communication Error Please Try Again”. I can’t enter navigation destinations, use audio command to dial phone, open glove box, etc with audio commands.

The microphone is working because if I manually dial my phone and use the Tesla speaker other party can hear me fine.

I did a soft screen boot by holding the buttons down with no help.

I placed a service ticket and they are coming to my home next Tuesday.

Has anyone experienced this error and if so what was the resolution?

Reactions: LindyLoo
Today my MY decided to not listen to me, and we aren’t even married. :)

When I attempt to speak any audio commands it doesn’t hear me and about 10 seconds later it displays “Communication Error Please Try Again”. I can’t enter navigation destinations, use audio command to dial phone, open glove box, etc with audio commands.

The microphone is working because if I manually dial my phone and use the Tesla speaker other party can hear me fine.

I did a soft screen boot by holding the buttons down with no help.

I placed a service ticket and they are coming to my home next Tuesday.

Has anyone experienced this error and if so what was the resolution?
Yes, this has happened to me. It does listen like a husband by not listening tho!
I find that sometimes that happens when I don't have a clear cell signal. After I drive a few blocks it starts listening again.. it's quite frustrating.

Everything you described (including voice commands) depends on the car having a cellular connection itself. If it doesnt have a cell connection this is what happens.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Got it. Is AT&T the provider?

Voice commands were ignored for 30 miles all the way on a trip from town to cabin. On that trip it was rising very hard but I was talking to my wife on my Verizon phone. When I arrived at the cabin it also wouldn’t work which was unusual. . Either the provider cell tower had issues or the car had issues.

Right now, midnight, I can see car status from app using my iPad on WiFi so I assume the car cellular receiver is working. But lately refreshing status has been very delayed. I have 2 teslas, so when it’s delayed I’ll check the other car at the same time to see if it’s a signal strength issue.

I’ll try again tomorrow. If it’s still non responsive over the weekend I’ll keep the appt. If it’s working I’ll cancel the appt.

I've had this same issue often in past. In mine, when the right button would no longer accept commands, the left scroll wheel button ALSO would not work, for example, for raising or lowering volume.
I, too, put in a service request. Tesla Mobile came out and did a complete software reinstall, even though i was pretty sure it was a hardware issue. A long process that did not work, but I had to reinstall everything else, as well... such as my phone.
The car still does it occasionally, usually first thing in the morning. Tesla "service" (I use quotes because anything above tire rotating and filters seems to be beyond them) threw up their hands and has told me to wait for a software fix.
It's a hardware issue.

Thank you guys and girls for the help.

This morning everything works as expected so I cancelled the service appt.

Yesterday the issue started during a heavy line of thunderstorms. I suspect it was an AT&T tower that was out due to storm. This is a remote area of Florida where power outages happen at least 2x per month during the summer. AT&T service has the worst coverage of all the cell phone carriers in this area.

Worse than T-Mobile? Not possible.

Actualky T-Mobile works great at our remote Florida cabin. We actually have their 5G internet there. But when driving across from central remote Florida to west coast Florida it drops out 20-30% of the time. I had T-Mobile for cell phones for about 6 months and dropped them and now use Visible for $30 ($25/mo for a cell phone and $5 for Apple Watch) with no contract, and uses Verizon cells. It never drops across Florida. We actually stream news Chanel from our phone to the Tesla on that trip. It never drops.

At our main home AT&T has terrible signal strength where it won’t connect with our alarm company so we use a Verizon communicator. My neighbor has ATT&T cell and he has to use WiFi calling with a box in his house. He comes outside and his phone drops.