Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparative EV Energy Economy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
My household has owned the LEAF, Prime PHEV, and Tesla Model 3. I admit that I don't spend as much attention to fuel economy as I used to but yesterday's drive up a mountain in our Model 3 was so impressive that I started comparing to our other EVs

LEAF: used only in town/suburbia driving. In temperate weather ~ 175 Wh/mile. Best results are ~ 140 Wh/mile

Prime: Amazing fuel economy in small town driving. My best results were 100 Wh/mile round trip in ideal driving but 130 - 140 Wh/mile were routine.

Model 3: In temperate weather in suburbia ~ 180 Wh/mile. We live in the foothills of a mountain that hits 10,400 feet at its peak. Yesterday we drove to the top for hiking. The round trip is 78 miles, and net elevation climb is ~ 4,000 feet. The drive up consumed 376 Wh/mile and the drive home -22 Wh/mile for a net consumption of 177 Wh/mile. That is pretty remarkable -- consumption up and down a mountain about the same as suburbia driving. It demonstrates that while the Model 3 gives up some daily driving energy economy due mostly to weight from the large battery, it can shine when exemplary regen is the name of the game.

-----
Tangent:
I used to argue with a Prime owning Engineer who thought that EVs could never reach the performance of long range ICE or hydrogen cars due to the weight penalty. He is wrong for a couple of reasons but second * among them is that his rule of thumb does not apply in an EV world where a good drivetrain and a large battery have outstanding regen.

* First reason of course is that long distance driving is highway driving where the weight penalty reduces to rolling resistance, m*g*f

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
I may be missing something, but isn't the Prius Prime's battery use supplemented by gas? It's not a BEV, so that's not an apples-to-apples comparison, no?
Prime is plug-in hybrid. When the battery is empty it switches to petrol.
If you like, it is an EV ... until it is not.

When I owned a Prime all my in-town driving was EV. The longer 90 mile commute to work was EV for the first ~ 35 miles and then petrol hybrid mode for the remainder.

In the OP I mentioned energy efficiency while the car was in EV mode. And I always make it a point to only use A->B->A trips when discussing energy consumption.

I honestly do not know why the Prime had such stellar EV energy economy. It was not the difference in CdA compared to the Model 3, and although it is a lighter car I am talking about drives in each car where no friction brakes were used and very, very little regen as well. My driving habits were formed from years of driving hybrids and I naturally coast when I want to slow down.

Last edited:
The best I ever got in my 2016 Chevy Volt was 210Wh/mile, on rolling country roads, 60mph max, 45mph avg.

On the same rolling country roads, I've gotten 190Wh/mile in my Model 3 LR-AWD. In the Volt, I was trying to maximize the range of my 14kWh battery pack, to avoid having the ICE turn on. In the Model 3, I just drive. I've been so surprised at how efficient the Model 3 is. You just assume the sportier, the less efficient, but it's not. On the highway, the Volt used about 350Wh/mile. So inefficient, that I used the ICE on the highway, and saved the battery for driving around town.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Prime is plug-in hybrid. When the battery is empty it switches to petrol.
If you like, it is an EV ... until it is not.

When I owned a Prime all my in-town driving was EV. The longer 90 mile commute to work was EV for the first ~ 35 miles and then petrol hybrid mode for the remainder.

In the OP I mentioned energy efficiency while the car was in EV mode. And I always make it a point to only use A->B->A trips when discussing energy consumption.

I honestly do not know why the Prime had such stellar EV energy economy. It was not the difference in CdA compared to the Model 3, and although it is a lighter car I am talking about drives in each car where no friction brakes were used and very, very little regen as well. My driving habits were formed from years of driving hybrids and I naturally coast when I want to slow down.

I thought the Prime had an option to drive in pure EV mode, but by default, it uses the gas engine as required, e.g. under acceleration:

(Toyota dealer FAQ)
Q: Do I need gas in the tank?
A: You should never drive Prius Prime without gasoline in the tank. While, under certain conditions, you may drive on electricity alone, the vehicle always requires gasoline to operate properly.

Your efficiency is an absolute unicorn. That's about 110 Wh/km, which I can only get on a nice day without using climate control and driving slow in the city. I suppose your mountain drive was a slow one though?

Would be interesting as additional comparison to know their standby drain. At a median of 1.33kWh/day or 487kWh/year (roughly 2000 rated miles or 3250 rated km) I would consider the Tesla a bit wasteful, but I don't know if other EVs do better in this regard.

LEAF: used only in town/suburbia driving. In temperate weather ~ 175 Wh/mile. Best results are ~ 140 Wh/mile

Prime: Amazing fuel economy in small town driving. My best results were 100 Wh/mile round trip in ideal driving but 130 - 140 Wh/mile were routine.

Model 3: In temperate weather in suburbia ~ 180 Wh/mile.

Good data points.
~180 Wh/mile in Model 3 is remarkable (implies 416 mile range on 75 KWh battery)!

I will add mine:
Model 3 Performance: Cumulative average consumption after 14K miles is 302 Wh/mile. It got as low as 278 Wh/mile in the summer, but (the however mild) winter and a few highway road-trips have been steadily raising the average lately.

BMW i3 REX: Cumulative average consumption after 23.5K miles and 2 years was 256.4 Wh/mile.

BMW i3 BEV: Cumulative average consumption after 20.5K miles and 2 years was 208.3 Wh/mile.

The above scenarios covered the same driving / commuting profile of

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush