Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing four different front camera setups

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured I'd start up a new thread to discuss these different cameras available.

I did some scientific-like type tests in my garage, but right off the bat since it impossible to get a direct camera feed, we have to settle for hires images from my iPhone 6S taken right off the Model S touchscreen (P85D). So as you'll see, the results are interesting, but not scientific by any stretch.

I used four different cameras for this test, labeled as such:

Original: The front cam I've been running since I installed @artsci front camera kit earlier this year

Hires: This is the new $87 hi-res camera from Tesla

Amazon: This is the Tesla camera available at Amazon for $39: https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-1006773-00-F-Rear-View-Camera-Harness/

Broken: A previous "original" camera I had installed on my P85+ which was intermittent, I believe due to water incursion. But it's working now, and should perform pretty much the same as "Original"

Here are the part numbers for each:
Original:
upload_2017-7-8_13-30-52.png

Hires:
upload_2017-7-8_13-31-33.png

Amazon (from the amazon listing, I forgot to take a pic before installing it).
upload_2017-7-8_13-47-44.png

Broken:
upload_2017-7-8_13-31-11.png

In the following posts, I'll be posting the results of each comparison test I did with side-by-side images. So stay tuned while I get those loaded.

And before I do that, let me just say the $39 Amazon camera seems to work perfectly. In fact, I tested that one last, and left it installed in my car for a "long term" test, which is why I didn't get a photo of the part number tag. So it appears if @artsci gets a second run of the front camera switch produced, this is a great $39 option for the camera. I see the Amazon listing now has 20 left in stock. I think it was at 40 a couple of days ago. So if you are at all interested in the front camera kit, you might want to get one of these as a little insurance before they disappear altogether, since we don't know what the source is for these. It's also very surprising to note that Tesla was charging over $350 for this exact same part when we all bought into the first run of the camera kit. What did Elon say about service (and parts I assume) not being a profit center? :)

Last edited:
For this next test, the images are exactly the same as above, except that I took a "close-up" photo of the test pattern. For each image, the car didn't move compared to the images in the previous post.

Original:
originalchart2.jpg

Hires (Take #1):
hireschart2.jpg

Hires (Take #2 -- This result was very surprising, so I took a second photo. These hires images appeared distinctly worse than the others, I have no explanation ):
hireschart3.jpg

Amazon:
amazonchart2.jpg

Broken:
brokenchart2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
I figured I'd start up a new thread to discuss these different cameras available.

I did some scientific-like type tests in my garage, but right off the bat since it impossible to get a direct camera feed, we have to settle for hires images from my iPhone 6S taken right off the Model S touchscreen (P85D). So as you'll see, the results are interesting, but not scientific by any stretch.

I used four different cameras for this test, labeled as such:

Original: The front cam I've been running since I installed @artsci front camera kit earlier this year

Broken: A previous "original" camera I had installed on my P85+ which was intermittent, I believe due to water incursion. But it's working now, and should perform pretty much the same as "Original"

Hires: This is the $87 hi-res camera from Tesla

Amazon: This is the Tesla camera available at Amazon for $39: https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-1006773-00-F-Rear-View-Camera-Harness/

Here are the part numbers for each:
Original:
View attachment 234698

Broken:
View attachment 234699

Hires:

View attachment 234700

Amazon (from the amazon listing, I forgot to take a pic before installing it).
View attachment 234708

In the following posts, I'll be posting the results of each comparison test I did with side-by-side images. So stay tuned while I get those loaded.

And before I do that, let me just say the $39 Amazon camera seems to work perfectly. In fact, I tested that one last, and left it installed in my car for a "long term" test, which is why I didn't get a photo of the part number tag. So it appears if @artsci gets a second run of the front camera switch produced, this is a great $39 option for the camera. I see the Amazon listing now has 20 left in stock. I think it was at 40 a couple of days ago. So if you are at all interested in the front camera kit, you might want to get one of these as a little insurance before they disappear altogether, since we don't know what the source is for these. It's also very surprising to note that Tesla was charging over $350 for this exact same part when we all bought into the first run of the camera kit. What did Elon say about service (and parts I assume) not being a profit center? :)

Sorry but I am confused. You refer to "front camera" but three of the photos shows a label indicating these are "rear view" cameras. So are these possible replacements for the installed rear camera? Or rear cameras you are using or are considering for another application, such as a front view (dashcam??) rig? Or are these part of an AP rig?
Thanks for clarification

Sorry but I am confused. You refer to "front camera" but three of the photos shows a label indicating these are "rear view" cameras. So are these possible replacements for the installed rear camera? Or rear cameras you are using or are considering for another application, such as a front view (dashcam??) rig? Or are these part of an AP rig?
Thanks for clarification

Sorry, in 2014 TMC user @artsci created a "Front Camera" switch kit, which allowed people to install a "front" camera (using the rear camera part from Tesla) to give you a front downard view while parking. The switch allows you to flip between the stock rear camera when backing up, and the front camera when moving forward. Many of us say it's the best mod anyone can do for Model S, and I believe that.

See: Tesla Model S Front Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit
And: 2nd run of camera switch that show an front image on the touch screen

When originally released, the spare rear camera part was more than $350, making the entire kit about $1k, kinda pricey. But Tesla has replaced that camera with a hi-res camera for $78, as well as an unknown source on Amazon selling the original cameras for $40.

I thought it would be good to test all these different cameras, all with the front camera switch kit in mind.

Sorry, in 2014 TMC user @artsci created a "Front Camera" switch kit, which allowed people to install a "front" camera (using the rear camera part from Tesla) to give you a front downard view while parking. The switch allows you to flip between the stock rear camera when backing up, and the front camera when moving forward. Many of us say it's the best mod anyone can do for Model S, and I believe that.

See: Tesla Model S Front Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit
And: 2nd run of camera switch that show an front image on the touch screen

When originally released, the spare rear camera part was more than $350, making the entire kit about $1k, kinda pricey. But Tesla has replaced that camera with a hi-res camera for $78, as well as an unknown source on Amazon selling the original cameras for $40.

I thought it would be good to test all these different cameras, all with the front camera switch kit in mind.

Thanks for that background -- very helpful!

Thank you Hank Loyde right. I just placed an order for the $39 amazon camera. They listed 15 remaining this morning. Tesla 1006773-00-F Rear-View Camera
Artsi - I am now committed (for a whopping $39) toward this project. Sorry your supplier flaked out. I'm confidant a resourceful fellow like you will figure it out and put me on the list for supplier #2.

Can you please post the other items needed- cables, OBD etc?

@HankLloydRight - Were all of these tests performed on vehicle, with your original front wired setup?
The reason I ask, is that I thought there was an issue with the Hi-Res Tesla camera not working with the long cable run needed to get to the front. Just curious if someone found a work-around for that.
Also, am I right to assume that the Amazon camera has a different lens on it, producing a narrower field of view?
Thanks for doing such an extensive testing!!

Amazon link is broken now. Also it seems the hi-res camera is really bad in close objects, but is definitely clearer with objects that are a couple feet away, no?
Correct! It appears the fixed focus point on the new hi-res camera is set further back than the original camera.
This actually makes a lot of sense! The original camera was specifically for judging clearance when you (the driver) were backing up and getting close to objects. The new hi-res camera was developed for use with the new FSD Autopilot. For that application, higher level of detail is preferred prior to being a few inches away, so the fixed focus point was set further back.