Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing LR AWD to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading through these threads, of comparing the all-wheel drive to the non all-wheel drive, seems like it comes down to range and is that worth $9,000?

Curious about the connectivity, now that Tesla is charging for connectivity does the SR plus have the same connectivity as the AWD?

Any other thoughts on the $9,000 value of SR plus versus AWD

(I don't care at all about speed)

Last edited:
If I could swing it, I would have gone for the Stealth(which is $2k more than the LR AWD) The LR AWD would have been a strong contender after that with the range and increased speed. And the lights, heated rear seats, mats, speakers(aftermarket for just this is pushing $500+-amp/subwoofer, wires, time), etc.

I do not believe there is any difference in "connectivity" Each should get a 1 year trial, and pay $9.99 a month after that.

I got the SR+....and fully expect to be happy with it.

Reactions: MikeR55
The LR is close to a second quicker to 60. You also get the premium interior with the LR and partial premium with the SR+ which means rear heated seats, premium audio, fog lights, floor mats, additional cabin lighting...did I miss anything?

Yes, premium connectivity is premium connectivity, regardless of the trim level, it's just free for a year on the LR.

The LR is close to a second quicker to 60. You also get the premium interior with the LR and partial premium with the SR+ which means rear heated seats, premium audio, fog lights, floor mats, additional cabin lighting...did I miss anything?

Yes, premium connectivity is premium connectivity, regardless of the trim level, it's just free for a year on the LR.

Ahh didn't know about the added interior lights. Fog lights not bad to have going down a mountain - but they never seem to work great anyway.

The car is so fast compared to my Prius- 1 second doesn't mean much to me.

Don't really care about back seat heaters as no one sits in the back usually plus I'm in LA.

Does non premium have traffic as well with paid connectivity?

I ordered AWD just not sure I really need it. I do drive up to my cabins in Big Bear but I avoid it when it snows anyway... But it is around 125 miles each way up a mountain so maybe the longer range is worth it...

But I do have a 220 charger at one of my cabins as well as a slow normal plug at home.

Last edited:
Ahh didn't know about the added interior lights. Fog lights not bad to have going down a mountain - but they never seem to work great anyway.

The car is so fast compared to my Prius- 1 second doesn't mean much to me.

Don't really care about back seat heaters as no one sits in the back usually plus I'm in LA.

Does non premium have traffic as well with paid connectivity?

I ordered AWD just not sure I really need it. I do drive up to my cabins in Big Bear but I avoid it when it snows anyway... But it is around 125 miles each way up a mountain so maybe the longer range is worth it...

But I do have a 220 charger at one of my cabins as well as a slow normal plug at home.

• The missing internal lights are front footwell and front door pockets (not much IMHO).
  • For me, the fog lights don't add much to visibility, but they enhance the look of the car for some.
  • As long as you pay, the Non-premium displays traffic on the maps and then has the satellite maps as well
  • If you can charge at both ends, then the SR+ should be fine. The only question is how much the uphill drive to the cabin will impact your range. Cold weather here in Wisconsin takes 40% of my range away on shorter drives, but only 25-30% when I charge and pre-warm before driving, especially longer routes.
  • It's all a matter of personal taste, but the SR+ is still very responsive and quick, just not hyper-car quick. Owning a SR+, I'm honestly not sure how a Performance version is able to use their crazy acceleration much, as you'll be breaking a speed limit within a couple seconds of using that power....even with my SR+.

I hope that this helps

• The missing internal lights are front footwell and front door pockets (not much IMHO).
  • For me, the fog lights don't add much to visibility, but they enhance the look of the car for some.
  • As long as you pay, the Non-premium displays traffic on the maps and then has the satellite maps as well
  • If you can charge at both ends, then the SR+ should be fine. The only question is how much the uphill drive to the cabin will impact your range. Cold weather here in Wisconsin takes 40% of my range away on shorter drives, but only 25-30% when I charge and pre-warm before driving, especially longer routes.
  • It's all a matter of personal taste, but the SR+ is still very responsive and quick, just not hyper-car quick. Owning a SR+, I'm honestly not sure how a Performance version is able to use their crazy acceleration much, as you'll be breaking a speed limit within a couple seconds of using that power....even with my SR+.
I hope that this helps

Thanks VERY helpful. Like I said, don't care at all about speed. Very rarely is the speed limit over 75 anyway- and 0 to 60 is plenty fast no matter which Tesla you get.

I got an SR+ and am very happy.
I’m fairly certain premium interiors get 1 year premium connectivity and standard/SR+ only gets 30 days. I’m using the 30 day trial and it definitely isn’t worth it for me so far. I thought I wanted traffic displayed but I use Waze. I stream music from my phone (and don’t pay for Spotify anyways).
I do have fog lights but I don’t have the rear heated seats.
I am currently on a trip to Massachusetts where I am experiencing far less range than normal due to the cold but it would not be an issue if I had a 120v to plug into overnight (240v at home). I drive 50 miles round trip on my normal commute for work and it’s been a fantastic car. I do find the audio system to be lacking. I will eventually look into adding a sub.

Ultimately, I could not justify $9000 for 90 more miles of range/AWD. I just budget in a little more charging during these road trips away from home that I do 2-3 times a year.

Reactions: tren01t and melius
I got an SR+ and am very happy.
I’m fairly certain premium interiors get 1 year premium connectivity and standard/SR+ only gets 30 days. I’m using the 30 day trial and it definitely isn’t worth it for me so far. I thought I wanted traffic displayed but I use Waze. I stream music from my phone (and don’t pay for Spotify anyways).
I do have fog lights but I don’t have the rear heated seats.
I am currently on a trip to Massachusetts where I am experiencing far less range than normal due to the cold but it would not be an issue if I had a 120v to plug into overnight (240v at home). I drive 50 miles round trip on my normal commute for work and it’s been a fantastic car. I do find the audio system to be lacking. I will eventually look into adding a sub.

Ultimately, I could not justify $9000 for 90 more miles of range/AWD. I just budget in a little more charging during these road trips away from home that I do 2-3 times a year.

+1

Given the current availability of premium connectivity on SR+, in my mind the real difference between the models OP listed is AWD and longer range. The former is less of an issue if you dont live in a cold place or have winter tires (I have them). In LA i doubt you'd need it. Range is more of a personal/psychological issue. Personally while I probably still would have bought the LR AWD (i live in michigan and always wanted an AWD), i think the choice would have been much harder to make given what we have now.

I fear Tesla is shooting itself in the foot with the lack of premium distinction between the models. 250 miles is plenty even with the 30-40% degradation in my woods for my driving. I think a lot of people stress too much about range who drive under 100 miles a day or much less. Of course this does not apply to everyone.

All versions are plenty fast coming as most drivers are from standard/luxury ICE.

How much time would that actually be at a SC on a road trip? 20 minutes? 30 minutes?

I'm sure there are threads about SC speeds on SR vs LR.

the 32/48 amp question comes into play only on L2 chargers, mainly the Tesla HPWC, although there are a few J1772 chargers out there that will supply more than 32....

Its really not an issue unless you have a very small time-of-use electricity rate. 32 amps is enough to charge overnight in pretty much all cases.

Reactions: ZappCatt