Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing LR AWD to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you find the brake settings make a big difference?

Yes... always set it to 'standard'... 'low' just means you'll be burning off potential electrons as heat while you slow down. This will have an even greater effect if there's a really big hill involved where 'low' can't keep you going slow enough. In theory on flat ground 'low' could be just as good as 'standard', but only if you can manage to never touch the brakes at all without crashing into anyone.

Thanks- I'm used to the Prius where let it roll and don't brake is the way to go- seems like this is opposite- don't use the brake- but also more energy saved if it doesn't roll

Others will probably chime in, but I think its best to let it roll, and in theory to never let the green line show up at all(indicating regeneration). The problem with using 'low' is you're far more likely to use the brake.

Others will probably chime in, but I think its best to let it roll, and in theory to never let the green line show up at all(indicating regeneration). The problem with using 'low' is you're far more likely to use the brake.

I never use the brake- I can time it to the roll- no roll I am really bad at and it's jerky.

Wait, I thought green line was good... green line going to the left

Agree what’s the problem with green? That means regen.
If the hill isn’t steep enough and it’s slowing you down by all means step on he accelerator a tad but you likely still get a bunch of regen.

I never use the brake- I can time it to the roll- no roll I am really bad at and it's jerky.

Wait, I thought green line was good... green line going to the left

I have the Standard Range Plus+ from April 2019 and over 20k miles on it already. I have no complaints about my purchase. I went with my particular option because I wanted no payments. I haven't struggled for range driving an average 70+ miles per day or even going to my cabin in northern Minnesota 139 miles away in the summer. Winter does have an affect but had not caused a single issue for me. I haven't changed a thing I do differently. I do charge daily overnight. I think the Standard Range Plus I purchased back in April was in a period where I still have working fog lamps. Now with premium connectivity options, I am even more pleased. Now if I can just get the darn footwell lights activated, id be set! :)

Reactions: Mr X and badiban
I have the Standard Range Plus+ from April 2019 and over 20k miles on it already. I have no complaints about my purchase. I went with my particular option because I wanted no payments. I haven't struggled for range driving an average 70+ miles per day or even going to my cabin in northern Minnesota 139 miles away in the summer. Winter does have an affect but had not caused a single issue for me. I haven't changed a thing I do differently. I do charge daily overnight. I think the Standard Range Plus I purchased back in April was in a period where I still have working fog lamps. Now with premium connectivity options, I am even more pleased. Now if I can just get the darn footwell lights activated, id be set! :)

I just wish the stereo system was better. May spend $2500 to upgrade it

FYI for all our american friends. On the subject of cost of a Model 3 and government rebates. Our dollar is worth 30 something % less than US dollar so a SR+ starts at $55,990. Just because our dollar is worth less it doesn't mean we are compensated with higher wages.
So a Tesla in Canada is a luxury for the middle class. Add insult to injury most provinces have high sales taxes for instance in Quebec it's around 15%. So yes getting a government rebate is a very important part of being able to afford the least expensive Tesla sold in Canada.

If you want to add even more insult to injury. Some states in the US don't charge any sales tax.

I just test drove an awd lr vehicle. Wow! The pickup and power and the sound system were definitely better than the SR+ that I picked up. The range anxiety and traction concerns will probably stay with me for awhile.
Have any of you made a change shortly after buying one or the other? If so, was it difficult, pricey and did it satisfy your concern?

just to add i purchased a 2019 sr+ in october... and 5months later im trading it in for lr. and for one major reason, even tho sr+ battery capacity says it’s 250m... its more like 235 in actuality and thats on a 100% charge and your not suppose to charge to 100% because of a faster battery degradation so you’ll have to end up changing to 90% all the time which comes out to be around 213-215m on a max 90% charge. i live in new york and thought the mileage would be fine and in some cases it is. but when u start to travel alot having that bigger battery really makes a difference which is why i traded my sr+ in... and the extra perks that come with the LR version is just icing on the cake. but trust and believe even if you think you dont need the extrA battery life, go with the bigger battery, if u have too do what ive done purchase the SR+ and trade it in later when u have the money.

P.S: my SR+ was full autodrive and the I decided to not get full auto on my LR for now because of the added price. so if u have a decision to get full auto on an SR+ on LR without.. get the LR. full auto is worth it as it is right now. the only features u get a auto summons, the ability to move your car via app, and auto lane change. the car still drives itself even without full auto.

I just test drove an awd lr vehicle. Wow! The pickup and power and the sound system were definitely better than the SR+ that I picked up. The range anxiety and traction concerns will probably stay with me for awhile.
Have any of you made a change shortly after buying one or the other? If so, was it difficult, pricey and did it satisfy your concern?

brought a SR+ in october 2019 and i traded it in for an LR early this march. biggest reason battery life... SR+ full 90% charge came out to be around 213m, which is kinda good. but very noticeable when or if you use your car alot living in new york city because i dont have the option to charge my car living in a condo, im bound to always charge at a supercharger location. dont get me wrong there see plenty chargers around but can get pretty annoying. get the biggest battery capacity you can it’s definitely noticeable.

my SR+ was full auto i actually didnt go with the full auto feature with my LR because for the price it really isnt worth it. the car still drives by itself without full auto. it just dosnt auto summon, cant drive by itself via app, or auto lane change. full auto just isnt worth the novelty perks atm. so if u had to choose SR+ and full auto or LR go with the bigger battery... everything else that LR provides that SR+ dosnt is just icing on the cake

It’s a tough call
$18-19k more here in Canada for LR
Fog lights
Stereo
AWD
Rear heated seat
Better acceleration
100km more range
Subscription benefits
Is it all worth $19k, miss the government subsidy of $5k

I only need for 5-20 km a day and will have level 3 wall charger at home , but on occasion I will have to drive 300km one way ,1-4 times a year and 170km 5-10 times one way. I just don’t think it’s worth the extra $19k, but I don’t want to get stuck with an overpriced go-cart either.