Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerned about SSD overheating in Arizona summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m about to take delivery on my M3 and I want to get a SSD to use for Sentry Mode and dash cam recordings. But I’m worried about how the summer heat here in Arizona will affect the SSD performance. We can hit 120 during the summer and inside the car would obviously be hotter. Has anyone else used an SSD successfully in hot climates?

As @Tam said, just enable cabin overheat protection and you shouldn’t have any problems as long as your SOC stays above 20%. I believe that’s the lower limit, drop below that and several advanced features like sentry mode and cabin overheat will not work in order to keep you from running completely out of juice.

I’m about to take delivery on my M3 and I want to get a SSD to use for Sentry Mode and dash cam recordings. But I’m worried about how the summer heat here in Arizona will affect the SSD performance. We can hit 120 during the summer and inside the car would obviously be hotter. Has anyone else used an SSD successfully in hot climates?

I put a PNY SSD in mine last October, it's been fine so far. I'm in Phoenix and don't use overheat protection. I know we're not too far into summer yet, but so far so good...

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW