TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Concerned about SSD overheating in Arizona summer

Discussion in 'Software: Firmware Updates, Features, Tesla App' started by JLEW, Jun 27, 2020.

1. JLEW

JLEW New Member

I’m about to take delivery on my M3 and I want to get a SSD to use for Sentry Mode and dash cam recordings. But I’m worried about how the summer heat here in Arizona will affect the SSD performance. We can hit 120 during the summer and inside the car would obviously be hotter. Has anyone else used an SSD successfully in hot climates?

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know because I turn on Cabin Heat Protection so the cabin is never too hot for electronics.

• Like x 2
  3. chazzzle

chazzzle Member

Grab a USB to microSD adapter (check UGREEN on Amazon) and a Samsung EVO Plus microSD card. Operating temps are -13°F to 185°F.

• Like x 1
  4. chazzzle

chazzzle Member

You can shop around for a different microSD card than that, there are several with great operating temperatures. Just make sure write speed is at least 30 MB/s.

5. EnrgyNDpndnce

EnrgyNDpndnce Member

As @Tam said, just enable cabin overheat protection and you shouldn’t have any problems as long as your SOC stays above 20%. I believe that’s the lower limit, drop below that and several advanced features like sentry mode and cabin overheat will not work in order to keep you from running completely out of juice.

6. chazzzle

chazzzle Member

Of note, Cabin overheat only kicks on for up to 12 hours after the cars last wake event. So, if your car deep sleeps for more than 12 hours, cabin overheat won’t kick on anymore unless you wake the car every 12 hours.

• Informative x 1
  7. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

I put a PNY SSD in mine last October, it's been fine so far. I'm in Phoenix and don't use overheat protection. I know we're not too far into summer yet, but so far so good...

• Disagree x 1
  8. JBT66

JBT66 Member

Have an SSD in my car in Tucson. No issues. I do have cabin overheat protection enabled with no AC. Car gets up to about 125F if left in the sun.