Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine’s got it. I kept a microfibre cloth in the LHS of boot for cleaning the cameras. Went to get it out after alll the heavy rain it was sipping wet. I’ve got a leak and I’m convinced that’s the cause.

Mine are really bad now:

View attachment 502795

They were like this when I was at the Bristol SC yesterday, but I was told this is "normal", as the lights are vented. To my way of thinking, having water running down and pooling inside the light units is far from normal.
Interested to know how this ultimately got resolved for you (if it did). I've noticed one of mine get misted up (March 2020 delivered car), when I pressure wash (not hard) the car. It's nowhere near as bad as yours so if Bristol SC have batted you back then I have no chance.

This has happened twice now, the first time it was just misting and it had gone of its own accord by the morning. The second time, washing the car yesterday, the bit at the top of the below photo where there are micro-droplets is still present. Hoping the sun shining on the car will get rid of it, but not optimistic.

The drivers side tail light does not show any signs of misting at all, so I don't buy the whole "they're vented units they all do this" argument.

IMG_4005.jpeg

Had my M3LR just over 2 months now and Bradley came down to do the snagging. He must be getting very good at this as he finished his first job early and got to me 2 hours ahead of schedule. Took him about an hour to change the rear left inner light that had a little lake inside it, the boot liner, and a rear seat belt that was put on the wrong way round and therefore twisted. Just been to the car wash to test the new light and no water inside it.

Misting of rear lenses (along with B pillar cameras) was a widely reported problem come last Oct/Nov and many instances were simply dismissed as 'within spec'. We had a B pillar and rear lens agreed to be changed by Tesla, but when it came around to it, we were in the midst of a heat wave and Tesla wouldn't do anything without additional photos over and above what had already been supplied. It didn't make any difference that at prior service visit they saw rear lights with their own eyes and agreed it was too much damp, they seemed to reset the service schedule and start with fresh assessments.

tl;dr If taking car to service for rear light to be swapped, make sure its not after hot weather and dried out.

I had rear left light replaced in February via mobile service. Began as condensation but progressed to distinct water droplets forming that would not evaporate. Service confirmed this was not acceptable and were happy to replace. Rear right light also had condensation but nowhere near as bad as left; service said that was “within tolerance” so didn’t replace - it’s now disappeared. Clearly its influenced by the season and weather conditions - but I’d also recommend careful and light use of pressure washer around the light clusters in particular.