Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine today after sitting in the sun all day with the boot facing south on the hottest day of the year so far:

Light31Jul20.JPG

Service just booked, the earliest date available was 10 Sep. Hopefully a Ranger will attend before then.

Reactions: Durzel
The date you book is the date you’ll be catered to, whether that be a ranger (mobile service) or SC (service centre) visit.

I don’t think they’ll change it to a ranger appointment if you’ve already booked It in to a SC.

Like you mine hasn’t gone away with the rear of the car in blazing sunshine.

Mine was the same even after days of good weather and being sat in direct sunlight, I'm convinced it was due to water held in the rear of the unit.
I think it gets to a point where it just can’t evaporate.

I’ve fortunately now got evidence of actual drips on my passenger side one, small ones anyway, going down the inside, which should ensure replacement next week.

6B56E5C8-6A21-4D2F-A28D-77586D0DA7D7.jpeg

I've run into a bit of a problem.. I've checked the car this morning and it's pretty much disappeared. I should be happy, but I want this light swapped out as it's bound to happen again when it gets more humid, and it was like the above photo for several days without changing - andi it just looks crap.

I sense Tesla have polled the car (not that it could tell them anything about condensation) since it spontaneously woke up a few minutes ago, so I'm expecting a text from them shortly to ask for latest photos etc before giving final authorisation for the ranger visit.

The ranger is currently due on Wednesday this week. Is there a way I can "encourage" the light to mist up?

EDIT: Oh well, they just called me to say that the parts aren't in stock and bumped the appointment by 2 weeks. :(

Last edited:
Old photo?

Or just wait until November.
I cancelled my mobile appointment due on 19/08 today. Since the lights cleared up it hasn't come back, even after I washed it. I figured if the ranger came out and the lights were perfectly fine he wouldn't change them?

I have a SC visit appointment booked for the 14/09 separately to that, and when I spoke to Tesla on the phone the guy seemed to suggest that they would replace them anyway, so I don't really know what to think anymore lol.

With all the heavy rain we had yesterday I have found that all my rear light have a lot of condensation in them. This includes the outer light sections and the ones on the boot lid.
How common is this? The reason I ask is my car is less than two months old, and has already had new rear lights fitted as a day after delivery they had condensation in them.

Tesla's response so far is that it will happen because they are breathable lights and it does not effect their performance.

I bought a vauxhall back in 2001 (don't ask) and that had the same issue, and was resolved. It wasn't acceptable back then let alone today.

Its quite common (especially over the coming months with cold/wet conditions) and lots of 'within spec'/'to be expected with LED' comments as you have already heard but if you have water droplets inside the light rather than just misting/condensation, its probably worth a service request. You will be expected to supply photos, so make sure you take these when their is clear evidence of water droplets.

If they don’t have visible water droplets in them then they won’t get replaced.

Mine went in for some other work recently, at one point or another both rear lights have had actual water droplets in them, but because only one side was still like it on the day they were only prepared to replace the one (they haven’t done that yet - ordered the wrong part)

I provided several photos as well.

It looks pretty crap really, but the official line is that if it clears up (even after days or weeks) then it’s normal.

Attachments

• 69104D89-4356-45A3-8043-37D67F59B10F.jpeg
    69104D89-4356-45A3-8043-37D67F59B10F.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 46
  • 57435FAB-2EF5-48C5-B630-BA4C8B68E43F.jpeg
    57435FAB-2EF5-48C5-B630-BA4C8B68E43F.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 8F7DAD9E-D251-4AE3-9CDD-31EBC01C2BDE.jpeg
    8F7DAD9E-D251-4AE3-9CDD-31EBC01C2BDE.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 65
I had more phantom braking events in my 36.11 test drive than I have had in the total of all my previous events. Part of this may be that I was using it on a road that I don't normally use it, but a couple were on old sections.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes engaging TACC, the car fails to speed up to the speed limit. Instead, it slows down to below its previous speed. Small sample set, but seems to be when it is close to a speed limit change, such as entering a road with a speed sign at start so a fairly common scenario for when you may engage TACC.

I was cautioned by a police officer and told to get the lights fixed a few months ago, because of this problem. The police car happened to park behind me in the supermarket car park, and the officer just seemed interested in it, but got a bit formal when he saw the rear lights.

Tesla seem to consider this a "cosmetic" issue, but it was clear from my encounter that the police don't, they saw it as being a defective rear light. Tesla replaced my rear lights during one of my SC visits, but did mention that they view misting of the rear lights as acceptable, but water droplets in them as being a fault. I'm not at all sure the police would agree with them about this.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I had more phantom braking events in my 36.11 test drive than I have had in the total of all my previous events. Part of this may be that I was using it on a road that I don't normally use it, but a couple were on old sections.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes engaging TACC, the car fails to speed up to the speed limit. Instead, it slows down to below its previous speed. Small sample set, but seems to be when it is close to a speed limit change, such as entering a road with a speed sign at start so a fairly common scenario for when you may engage TACC.

shouldn’t matter if it’s a new road for you to drive on, the cars don’t learn roads that is just an Elon story, 99% of the time drive data is not sent back

the new update reading signs is complete garbage, yesterday the speed limit got set to the wrong limit about half the speed and could not be changed for a long trip, it could only be because of the sign reading.