Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configure Neurio meters to connect via home WIFI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently installed a 500' fiber run. The PW's and GW are on a pedestal mounted MSP; Enphase Combiner Cabinet is at the home. There is a dense forest of trees and brush between the MSP and home (no high-freq. RF, not even a flashlight beam, will pass through).

We used RS-485 fiber/copper converters for the solar/Neurio connection and Ethernet fiber/copper converters, to connect to the home network. Works perfectly.
Curious if you and your installer considered the solution that ours wants to do: He said the solar CT requires two wires, and he uses 16awg wire when it’s all fairly close. With the 800’ he would use (2) 12awg wires pulled through a communication conduit to make the solar CT connection at the house.
It sounds like yours was successful and we want to do what will work best but have to give our installer good reasons if we are suggesting something contrary to his expertise.... Thank you.

Curious if you and your installer considered the solution that ours wants to do: He said the solar CT requires two wires, and he uses 16awg wire when it’s all fairly close. With the 800’ he would use (2) 12awg wires pulled through a communication conduit to make the solar CT connection at the house.
It sounds like yours was successful and we want to do what will work best but have to give our installer good reasons if we are suggesting something contrary to his expertise.... Thank you.
From the Neurio manual:

Pre-made Neurio CT extension (Tesla P/N
1125547-00-x): 10 ft / 3 m
24-18 AWG (0.2-1.5 mm2) shielded twisted pair
with drain wire: max 50 ft / 15 m

My gateway failed back in March and Tesla came out for three visits and cannot get the Neurio remote sensor to connect with the gateway wireless anymore with the wifi network created locally by default. I found this thread and it pointed me to the right direction. I would like to add my experience as some of the steps I need to take is different. Hope this will help the next person who ran into the same issue.

Does anyone know why all of a sudden the connection just failed?

Here are my steps:

To get into the Neurio login page:

• Forget all Wifi access point in Settings
  • Put phone in Airplane mode
  • Turn on only Wifi
  • Power Cycle the Neurio
  • Connect to the Neurio's wifi network
  • Go to: https://192.168.4.1 with a web browser
  • Login with:
    • User: admin
    • Password: <Serial number> (Be careful, the first character is letter O and not number 0)
  • If all goes well, you will be at a page with "Generac" on the banner and all the Wifi networks avaliable will be listed below. (Sorry, did not take a screenshot) The rest should be straight forward
  • For me, it seems like using Chrome browser from the Andriod phone worked best. But I never tried to connect again with my iPhone in airplane mode. Don't want to break it now it is working.
  • I think the key here is Airplane mode with only the Neurio Wifi avaliable to be connected

Now, log into the gateway web interface as installer. At the installer web page, I somehow need to delete and add the wifi meter a couple of times before it connects properly.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that's contributed information to this thread (although some of it is misleading). I was able to connect my Neurio W2 to my Shed WiFi AP, while the Powerwall (actually the Gateway) is connected to a different AP with a different SSID. The APs are just connected with a switch. I did have to email Tesla support with the details, so they could manually adjust the setting in the Gateway, so it looked for the Neurio at the right IP address.

The biggest hurdle was getting a browser that could properly view the Neurio's website. Firefox failed to connect at all, and Chrome and Opera displayed the site poorly, and I was unable to load the Wi-Fi Settings page. I ended up using an old netbook, with an old version of Firefox, which correctly loaded and showed the available networks, and allowed me to enter the password for my Shed WiFi.

You do need static IPs (mine is done via DHCP reservation) for the Gateway and Neurio. They will both respond to pings, but the Neurio seems to only serve its website on its own AP, so it's normal that you won't be able to access the web interface once you have it connected to your own WiFi.

When you email Tesla support, they will need to know the IP addresses of the Gateway and Neurio, as well as the MAC address of the Neurio (it's displayed on the web interface, so take note of it before connecting the Neurio to your own WiFi). I also gave them my Tesla account email, which they can use to find/access your system.

I'm very impressed with the Tesla support. They responded within 3 hours, and did their magic in one go, along with the reply "I am beyond amazed at the level of achievement here, really you’ve done a great job, given installers struggle to do this." :)

I just thought I'd share my setup, now working, since a few people claimed it required the same AP/SSID and other things that didn't turn out to be true.

Neurio -> WiFi-2 -> Ethernet -> network switch <- Ethernet <- WiFi-1 <- Powerwall/Gateway