Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configure Neurio meters to connect via home WIFI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a recent PW install were I have two sets to solar microinverters in remote subpanels. The installer put a Neurio in each of the subpanels but they seem to be too far away to connect via WIFI back to the gateway.

The installer thinks they can be configured to use the home's WIFI but he wasnt sure how. Does anyone know how to configure the meters to work in this way?

When I try to connect to the meter directly via its SSID the webpage for the device asks for a username and password that I dont know and couldnt guess.

I have a Neurio which I purchased off Ebay and unrelated to a PW install. It works fine but the cloud account is with Generac. The Wifi capability is native but it may have to be configured by Tesla. Have you tried something like a mesh wifi to extend the range?

I have a recent PW install were I have two sets to solar microinverters in remote subpanels. The installer put a Neurio in each of the subpanels but they seem to be too far away to connect via WIFI back to the gateway.

The installer thinks they can be configured to use the home's WIFI but he wasnt sure how. Does anyone know how to configure the meters to work in this way?

When I try to connect to the meter directly via its SSID the webpage for the device asks for a username and password that I dont know and couldnt guess.
A member had success using a range extender HERE. Might be worth checking out.

So I just finished installing Neurio via my home network. First, you have to use Telsa's version of the Neurio, the software is different. Once installed you log in to the Neurio using username:admin password:SERIALOFNEURIO. Then you can select your home wifi network. Then you have to reserve the IP address for the Neurio in your router. Then the tech has to add the IP of the meter to the gateway. Works!

So I just finished installing Neurio via my home network. First, you have to use Telsa's version of the Neurio, the software is different. Once installed you log in to the Neurio using username:admin password:SERIALOFNEURIO. Then you can select your home wifi network. Then you have to reserve the IP address for the Neurio in your router. Then the tech has to add the IP of the meter to the gateway. Works!
Thank you!!!! This was the hint I needed. Previously, I had attempted to login with admin/SERIAL# but what I didnt notice was my serial numbers started with O not 0. Thanks to you I have both of my meters working via home wifi.

Reactions: jgleigh
How do you access the Neurio's interface and where do you enter this username/password? Neurio's SSID isn't broadcast. Thanks!

Do the Neurio devices broadcast from an SSID starting with PWRView? I’m trying to troubleshoot my system and during a power cycle I noticed an SSID like that. If that is how you’re accessing your Neurios, what IP address do you use to get to their web UI?

I have a Neurio which I bought on Ebay. Yes that is the SSID. I believe it knows how to upload to the PWRview Cloud. You need to go there and set up an account. There is an Android app by that name and even an installer App. I did not have mine connected to a Powerwall and used it to monitor solar and consumption. My whole system is being reconfigured and I am sorry I don't have a better recollection.

I have a Neurio which I bought on Ebay. Yes that is the SSID. I believe it knows how to upload to the PWRview Cloud. You need to go there and set up an account. There is an Android app by that name and even an installer App. I did not have mine connected to a Powerwall and used it to monitor solar and consumption. My whole system is being reconfigured and I am sorry I don't have a better recollection.
Thanks. In Tesla solar/Powerwall installations, do they still connect to the cloud? How do they connect to Tesla’s hardware (Backup Gateway 2 and Powerwall+ in my case) I’ve not seen the meter(s) on my network, only the gateway inside the upper unit of my Powerwall+ connects to my home’s network. Details and pics of my system in a related thread here.

How do you access the Neurio's interface and where do you enter this username/password? Neurio's SSID isn't broadcast. Thanks!
When it first powers up, it broadcasts it own ssid, but after fifteen minutes it shuts off.

My understanding is that when the neurio is paired with the gateway, the gateway records the IP address and then expects the neurio to be at that IP address from then on. (Seems hard to believe, but it was what I was told.) If true it might be why some repeater attempts have failed.

Definitely a YMMV item in my book.

My neurio has consistently refused to function, so I can't comment with any certainty.

All the best,

BG

When it first powers up, it broadcasts it own ssid, but after fifteen minutes it shuts off.

My understanding is that when the neurio is paired with the gateway, the gateway records the IP address and then expects the neurio to be at that IP address from then on. (Seems hard to believe, but it was what I was told.) If true it might be why some repeater attempts have failed.

Definitely a YMMV item in my book.

My neurio has consistently refused to function, so I can't comment with any certainty.

All the best,

BG
I was able to connect to Neurio's Wifi on https://192.168.4.1 after turning off/on the breaker. Logged in with admin/serialnumber but the interface has only option to join home wifi.
Tesla inverter gave an error that it cannot communicate with site meter after I added home wifi to Neurio.
I had restart, delete the wifi settings for inverter to recognize it again.

I created account with PWRview installer app and created account with my email. Tried to add the device to account, but the app doesn't recognize the device after I connected the phone to neurio's wifi, maybe because of the Tesla firmware on Neurio.

As @vkana points out, the neurio only broadcasts its own SSID on power up. If you need to connect to it, cycle the breaker, and then scan for it. The default address is posted above. (https://192.168.4.1/)

@kbray0009 Bear in mind that under normal conditions, the Gateway and neurio share data directly via their reserved IP / MAC addresses, and most routers will not notice the communication as there is nothing to route. So the absence of router observed traffic does not mean there is no traffic. The only way that I am aware of to check the communication between the Gateway and the neurio is by logging into the Tesla Gateway, and checking the state of the current meter being reported by the neurio, and for general errors. Trust me, BTDT. I believe that this direct communication is why some owners have had issues with wireless repeaters. What brand of router do you have?

All the best,

BG

What app? I dont see any special Tesla neurio app.

Just use a browser to log in to the neurio at the above address, but you have to be quick. It times out and shuts off its own WiFi after a few minutes (4?). Once you have the neurio address set, having previously reserved its address and the gateway's in your router, either login into the gateway as an installer if you have the credentials, or have your installer do it. I highly recommend not putting either one on a WiFi repeater.

All the best,

BG

Stand next to your neurio, power cycle it off. Wait a couple (2-3) minutes. The turn it on, wait for the tones, and keep trying to get into that address. If you aren't in in five minutes, power cycle and try again.

Sorry; I forgot one detail. You may need to change browsers. IIRC the installer's android phone couldn't get in on one browser, but then worked when he tried a second browser. Unfortunately, I don't remember which browsers he used. It is finicky. I do remember that it would not work with a private mode.

When you get it on to your WiFi SSID, as the neurio powers up and successfully logs in, it will chime a slightly different set of tones.

All the best,

BG