Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuring the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read that your configuration options may affect your delivery date somewhat -- so my question is, will all pre-orders be asked to configure their cars at the same time, or will your preorder date determine your configuration date?

If all configurations are done at the same time to figure out delivery order, that'll probably occur mid 2017 to prep for production, right? I thought I also read that once you configure your car, you'll be unable to get a refund on your deposit. So those who are in the back-end of the preorder list will have to configure and lock their order in with their federal rebate status unknown and over a year to delivery?

This is going to be a bumpy ride.

The invitations to configure have typically gone out in batches sized according to anticipated production capacity. They also plan to start with the west coast and employees, then current Tesla owners. The exact sequence is unknown at this point.

After you configure, you will likely have a week before your order is locked in, as with Model S/X. After that week, your deposit is committed and changes cost $500.

To help this bumpy ride your goal should be to petition with your state representatives to EXTEND the tax credit to 500,000 vehicles! There is already a petition out there that you should go sign. whitehouse.gov i think it may have been? DOes anybody have the link
the problem is that the president can't just extend it arbitrarily on his own...it would have to be passed by congress, which is never going to happen. ever.

• Funny
Reactions: diamond.g
To help this bumpy ride your goal should be to petition with your state representatives to EXTEND the tax credit to 500,000 vehicles! There is already a petition out there that you should go sign. whitehouse.gov i think it may have been? DOes anybody have the link

You know the money actually comes from somewhere, right? It's not like "woo, free money!!".

500K vehicles works out to 3.75 billion dollars with a B. The entire point of the tax credit was to help get EV adoption going and clearly Tesla is no longer having a problem with that.

It's kind of like the solar federal tax credit. I was very happy to collect it, and I knew that if I wanted it I need to act sooner rather than later. It has absolutely spurred the rapid adoption of solar in my area and I'm not going to shed tears when the program winds down, because at that point the solar industry here should be in position to stand up on their own without the feds subsidizing their products.

• Informative
Reactions: BluestarE3