Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was missing when I took delivery so they had to order a replacement hitch. Therefore, it is possible to get one. You just need to speak with the parts person at the Tesla store (assuming you have those where you are). Apologies for my ignorance.

Jason

Well, they said the 2" hitch is only for the north american market. so they can't order it in Hong Kong...
But without it I can't get any of the bike racks...

I would really like to reach out to see if I can order one. Does anyone have any contact at the service centre that I can message in Seattle. Since I will be in Seattle for work in June, would really be helpful if I can just pick one up then...
Or if anyone is willing to sell me theirs, I would really appreciate it too!

Mine was missing when I took delivery so they had to order a replacement hitch. Therefore, it is possible to get one. You just need to speak with the parts person at the Tesla store (assuming you have those where you are). Apologies for my ignorance.

Jason

I don't have a response yet, probably in a few days. I guess they'll say they can't order this in Europe
Then I'll email the service center in Houston, TX if I could order from them. I have an address in Houston, so it could be delivered there. I'm not sure if they would allow me to order the US part at all, even from an US SC, since my VIN is European...

So, can someone clarify? What's different in/with the European version? Or other continent? I would have thought all were 2 inches/50 mm. But something must be different in local (as it were) standards here... Bjorn's looks like '2 inches', but of course you can't tell precise measurements in a video... Does the actual device have to be locally tested by some agency?

In Europe the cars are delivered with the ballhead receiver
ak41-500x500.jpg

In the US, the receiver is 2"
BSL043964_8_1000.jpg

Gotcha, and then 'we' (USA), put any 2 inch one we want into it, I assume. Thanks!
Any 2 inch ball will fit but there are restrictions on the hitch receiver that show that you can't have a drop, can only have a < 0.75" rise, and the ball mount should not extend more than 8" from the hitch pin. Photo attached. This is a pretty limiting set of guidelines, since trailers often dictate ball height.

fullsizeoutput_951c.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
Thanks @ohmman, glad it at least comes with the requirements attached to it! I guess the details are in the 'instructions', as that graphic isn't too clear (never mind being 'european'!). I'll definitely be sure to take a look when I get my hands on one.
Unfortunately, that's as instructive as it gets. Nothing else comes with the hitch kit. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman