Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's promising but, what information did you need to give them for them to permit you to buy it? like vin number, registration, etc
and do you know if they verified any of it to you personally? or was it just information to check a box somewhere on their forms

Can someone provide a summary of this lengthy thread and confirm what we have and don't have on our Model X to either allow us or prevent us from using the accessory hitch for towing or using a bike rack/Ski rack?

Much appreciated.
Thanks

Can someone provide a summary of this lengthy thread and confirm what we have and don't have on our Model X to either allow us or prevent us from using the accessory hitch for towing or using a bike rack/Ski rack?

Much appreciated.
Thanks

If you have a factory hitch then you have a factory hitch. There’s no difference between accessory or tow in terms of hardware.

What you won’t have is the software; which costs roughly $750 to purchase and activate. This will give you towing software that will include sway control, auto leveling, etc that will prevent damage when towing.

• Informative
Reactions: Gol4
Hi!
Looking for TRAILER HITCH ADAPTER - NA (1027582-00-B) & TRAILER HITCH ADAPTER STORAGE BAG - NA (1482424-00-A).
TRAILER HITCH ADAPTER will be fitted to Model X (Europe). We have preinstalled tow package but would like to replace Bosal swan neck with Bosal 2 inch receiver. Would appreciate a help, if it's possible to order these parts from epc.tesla.com and ship it to USA address.
Please PM me.

Hi!
Looking for TRAILER HITCH ADAPTER - NA (1027582-00-B) & TRAILER HITCH ADAPTER STORAGE BAG - NA (1482424-00-A).
TRAILER HITCH ADAPTER will be fitted to Model X (Europe). We have preinstalled tow package but would like to replace Bosal swan neck with Bosal 2 inch receiver. Would appreciate a help, if it's possible to order these parts from epc.tesla.com and ship it to USA address.
Please PM me.
You should be able to order one off eBay. I did

Hello there,

is someone in Europe (and ideally in France) can retrofit this on an 2017 inventory X ?
It tried and no solution by now.
Hi!

We have Europe Model X with pre installed tow package. Today, we have successfully replaced Europe trailer hitch adapter with US version.

Attachments

• C30C244A-269A-4C58-8A9D-B361F01FDE2F.jpeg
    C30C244A-269A-4C58-8A9D-B361F01FDE2F.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 3F535D4D-23A9-40E2-BC9F-206819E38A96.jpeg
    3F535D4D-23A9-40E2-BC9F-206819E38A96.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 5102248E-BC6C-4E0E-99FC-966E9E812F94.jpeg
    5102248E-BC6C-4E0E-99FC-966E9E812F94.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 573D2AA3-6503-4D9C-9451-0C53ECF4B538.jpeg
    573D2AA3-6503-4D9C-9451-0C53ECF4B538.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 44
Anyone have retrofitted tow bar in Europe?

Problem is, cars without factory towbar have 0kg allowed towing weight in the registration details. It is possible to change it afterwards, but it would require a document from Tesla that car is actually capable of towing more.

Anyone know someone from Tesla that could write me an official looking document about the differences between cars with and without factory Towing Package?

I know the only difference is the hitch assembly itself, and the enabled Towing Mode in software. I need something that says "if Model X is fitted with towbar and Towing software, it can tow 2250kg".. I think even US document would be fine, just something from "Mister Tesla" claiming that afterwards installation is possible.

Local service center has been less than useful. They even refuse to sell me the parts because "your car can't be fitted with towbar"..

However I found the complete setup used from ebay, and I have a friend with Toolbox who can probably enable the software for me... But if I want it to be legal, I need to get a document that allows changing the 0kg limit in car registration details.

Edit: I found these TSBs:

Interestingly the first two oldest versions have "Country/Region All" and include EU part numbers, but the newer versions have only North America and APAC..

Last edited:
Anyone know someone from Tesla that could write me an official looking document about the differences between cars with and without factory Towing Package?

I know the only difference is the hitch assembly itself, and the enabled Towing Mode in software. I need something that says "if Model X is fitted with towbar and Towing software, it can tow 2250kg".. I think even US document would be fine, just something from "Mister Tesla" claiming that afterwards installation is possible.
I think you are dreaming. No Tesla employee will do that, and even if you could find one who would Tesla would disavow it.

I think you are dreaming. No Tesla employee will do that, and even if you could find one who would Tesla would disavow it.

Turns out you were wrong. :)

Tesla Austria Linz service center retrofitted the hitch and ordered an approval document directly from Tesla Fremont... Can't be more official than that. It has the new EU type approval number and the new allowed weights, with my name and VIN so it applies specifically to my car only.

So yeah, retrofitting a tow hitch for an European Model X is possible, if you are willing to drive to Austria. They don't give the paper unless you do the installation there.

But, there are far worse excuses for a few weeks family road trip..

Now the bigger question is, why don't other sevice centers offer this, if Fremont really is able to provide the support? To my understanding Tesla Austria is the only country that currently does this, and even in there it's probably only the Linz/Traun SeC ..

Reactions: jgrgnt