Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed... Model 3 will have ludicrous mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in case you haven't priced it, a base Model S is $71,500 (RWD) while a P90D with Ludicrous (no other options) is $119,500. A $48k difference just to have Ludicrous!

If pricing is similar, that would put you at $83k minimum for a 3L

I hope the 3L is priced around $65K plus other fancy options to top out around $80K. At this price it still beats the ICE competition hands down.

Just in case you haven't priced it, a base Model S is $71,500 (RWD) while a P90D with Ludicrous (no other options) is $119,500. A $48k difference just to have Ludicrous!

WOW... What does that work out to cost per tenth of a second?! Seems like a lot of $$ just to be able to say "ya I got Ludicrous Mode".

If I have to I will be getting as base model as possible with the exception of ludicrous mode and whatever it comes with.
Ludicrous in a Model 3 will require the AWD (dual motor) Performance option, just like it does in the S/X. It will be the single most expensive option you can get, so will add a lot of cost over the base version. That said, it will of course be insanely quick so it will be worth it for many buyers. I expect it to be as quick as an S with Ludicrous.

I figure I have a year and a half to try to convince my spouse to configure our 3 with Ludicrous. ;-)

Reactions: Red Sage and Jaff

I don't think the options will be price similar to the S they should be cheaper since the car is smaller. You could also buy two base M3s if the options will cost exactly the same as S P90DL, I don't think many people will do that.

For instance some people have said that the model 3 will is prismatic cells instead of the cylindical cells. My understanding is that ludicrous option replaces the fuse that connects each cell so the model 3 will only need a few of those fuses compare to the 7000+ fuses in the model S. Also the capacity of the model 3 packs is less again therefore less cell = less fuses.

Same goes the motors and the battery pack pricing.

I imagine Ludicrous Model 3 will be able to go faster than a top-optioned Ludicrous Model S. I don't think Elon really cares about eating up sales, and he also wants to make the best car possible.

He also puts both economy and luxury models onto the same exact car--not too many other car companies let you stack enough options onto a car to double its price (Model S), but the car becomes completely different at that point. If a Model 3 costs in the $70k range, it deserves to have a sub-2.7s 0-60 time and blow all competition away. The Model 3 is a might lighter and much more aerodynamic car, I imagine it'll be able to put out the strong performance numbers. It's not like you need a huge V12 block in an EV, the same melon-sized motor fits in a M3 with no problem. Battery output may be less, true, but the weight difference should more than counteract this (much less weight lost, than battery power lost going from S to 3 most likely).

I'm guessing this will be true of every Tesla car. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4th gen car similar to a Honda Fit that gets 0-60 times in under 3s, if you stack enough options (maybe going from a $25k car to a $50k car). The EV revolution requires that EVs are better than ICEs, and there are no limitations (unlike ICEs) that say small EVs cannot go fast.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nixx and Red Sage
some people have said that the model 3 will is prismatic cells instead of the cylindical cells
Just because that has been said doesn't mean it's true. The 3 will use essentially the same cell format as the S/X because that is what Tesla is making at the Gigafactory and that is the cell format that Elon and JB clearly believe is the optimal type for EVs.

Just because that has been said doesn't mean it's true. The 3 will use essentially the same cell format as the S/X because that is what Tesla is making at the Gigafactory and that is the cell format that Elon and JB clearly believe is the optimal type for EVs.

Even if the use the same 18650 cylindrical cells they cannot fit as many in the model 3 compared to the model S; therefore less fuses and less expensive.

Also they already have probably cover the initial R&D cost of the initial development of the fuse by the time the model 3 gets into production. The model 3 is going to be mass produced and the gigafactory will be producing a lot more batteries, options should be cheaper.