Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conflicted feelings on the new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what to do. I lurve my 2010 Roadster. I use it as a daily driver around town, and it has been fantastic. The only down side is taking longer trips with about 200 miles effective range and NO access to the Supercharger network.

I didn't ask for the fastest production car in the world. I didn't ask for rocket thrusters, or a cybercar that can augment my driving. (The Roadster I've got doesn't even have power steering!) If my existing Roadster had 300 miles range and Supercharger access, I'd never want anything else. 300 miles range is an available option, if I were to shell out for a new battery pack, but getting it to work with Supercharger stations is not on the table, which means road trips would always remain kind of slow and awkward and require careful planning.

The 2020 Roadster would be a very expensive car by my standards, much more than I ever thought before of spending on a car, but I could swing it if I decide I really want to. It just seems like... about double the car I would have ordered if it was up to me. Double the range, double the performance, double the gadgetry, double the price tag. It's a bit much.

Then I think to myself, there will be other car makers piling into this market, and somebody out there will produce a less "extreme" electric sports car that might fit me better. (Something with an open top, please!) But who? And when? Every other company seems to be about ten years behind Tesla. And if they can't access the Supercharger network either, or even the Tesla destination chargers that have sprung up everywhere, then wouldn't I be just as well off sticking with my 2010 Roadster?

Well, I own a 2010 Tesla Roadster sport and I got the R80 battery upgrade. I cannot recommend it strongly enough. No, you may not drive cross country with it, but pretty much all range anxiety disappears. You can drive it, comfortably, for hours without worrying about range. More importantly, it gives 'life' to your Roadster. I daily drive mine too. I have 27,000 miles and I fully plan to put 5-10k per year on it for the next several years.

The R80 upgrade gives me peace of mind that my car will be healthy and strong for those miles. Also, super important, is the new R80 upgrade dramatically improves the performance of the vehicle as well, especially at highway speeds.

I'm also a reservation holder for the new Roadster. But I don't expect to get that vehicle for 3+ years at the soonest. That means I have a whole lot of time left to spend with my current Roadster.

If you are concerned about cost, you probably shouldn't consider the Roadster seriously any more than you would seriously consider a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

The only reason I have a reservation on the new Roadster is because I was fora lot of dumb money. I bought bitcoin in early 2013 at $100 a pop. I'm only guying to buy the Roadster if bitcoin is 'still a thing' in 3+ years. If it's not, then I'm not getting the Roadster anyway.

Soul. Will the 2020 Roadster have it?

Specs, yes. The 2020 Roadster's specs are over the top. But I recently had my 2010 2.0 Roadster in the shop for a few days for the techs to play with the air conditioning system (root cause: they over-filled it a few months ago), and during that time they gave me a loaner Model S 75. Nice car, probably near as fast as the Roadster, about the same range, etc. But specs aren't the whole story.

The Model S didn't sound right. It didn't purr contentedly when awakened. It didn't groan a bit when I pressed on the brake, and didn't rattle and creak when going over bumps. (Don't we all?) It didn't have a high-pitched whine when accelerating, like the sound of a jet taking off. Its turning was effortless, perhaps even a bit numb (though nothing like my wife's SUV!). You don't grab the wheel and throw the car into turns; it feels heavy. You climb into the car, rather than putting the car on. Yes, it did hug me by moving the seat forward after I got in. Nice touch. But the rest of the experience seemed a bit lifeless. But it was so nice to dump the Model S back off at the SC and get my Roadster back. More emotional than I expected.

The SC manager told me that a bunch of folks took pictures of the Roadster while it was there. Not a surprise. It's recognizable. And unique, both in its looks and its place in history. I take it to EV shows often, where it provides the "eye candy" to bring folks in, as well as providing an anchor to the discussion about the EV revolution, and what an EV can be.

So this is a question I have thought long and hard about. Bottom line, I currently do not have a 2020 Roadster reservation. My youngest tells me "Dad, no. No, Dad. No." She's concerned more for my safety, I believe, over her inheritance. However at this point, I'm keeping my mind open, and wallet closed. But to convert me, the car has to have a personality. And a soul.

Last edited:

Specs, yes. The 2020 Roadster's specs are over the top. But I recently had my 2010 2.0 Roadster in the shop for a few days for the techs to play with the air conditioning system (root cause: they over-filled it a few months ago), and during that time they gave me a loaner Model S 75. Nice car, probably near as fast as the Roadster, about the same range, etc. But specs aren't the whole story.

The Model S didn't sound right. It didn't purr contentedly when awakened. It didn't groan a bit when I pressed on the brake, and didn't rattle and creak when going over bumps. (Don't we all?) It didn't have a high-pitched whine when accelerating, like the sound of a jet taking off. Its turning was effortless, perhaps even a bit numb (though nothing like my wife's SUV!). You don't grab the wheel and throw the car into turns; it feels heavy. You climb into the car, rather than putting the car on. Yes, it did hug me by moving the seat forward after I got in. Nice touch. But the rest of the experience seemed a bit lifeless. But it was so nice to dump the Model S back off at the SC and get my Roadster back. More emotional than I expected.

The SC manager told me that a bunch of folks took pictures of the Roadster while it was there. Not a surprise. It's recognizable. And unique, both in its looks and its place in history. I take it to EV shows often, where it provides the "eye candy" to bring folks in, as well as providing an anchor to the discussion about the EV revolution, and what an EV can be.

So this is a question I have thought long and hard about. Bottom line, I currently do not have a 2020 Roadster reservation. My youngest tells me "Dad, no. No, Dad. No." She's concerned more for my safety, I believe, over her inheritance. However at this point, I'm keeping my mind open, and wallet closed. But to convert me, the car has to have a personality. And a soul.
It will have SpaceX rocket's..(ok gas thruster's) if that aint soul well color me lost

air thrusters (air rockets) - won't burn the paint, they be fine on the road/in town
Tires at the max grip, so a little push from an air jet for 2-3 seconds?
Thought I read the traction control working [preventing tire slip] til about 60-70 mph.
It's not about burning stuff, but rather the noise they generate will violate common ordinances.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
@gregd -
How about picture of your ride? [Roadster] thanks.
So you have actually heard these thrusters? or just guessing? I'd guess not that noisy.

Have you ever heard any cold gas thruster? Try this for a single hobby sized one. Set the volume at the level that makes it sound like the guy talking is right next to you and brace yourself.

The ones on the roadster will be slightly louder to much louder depending on how many fire at once out of the 10 mounted and where you are compared to the jet nozzles. The entire back seat area is filled with the pressurized tank (higher pressure than the one in the video below).

Make no mistake about it the 2020 roaster is a 2 adults front + 2 small adults/teens/kids rear without and you lose those rear seats with the thrusters because you have the tank and hoses taking up that space.

And the jets doing anything significant to move a car will be very loud.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Troy
@gregd -
How about picture of your ride? [Roadster] thanks.
So you have actually heard these thrusters? or just guessing? I'd guess not that noisy.
Sure. Picture below, from an event at work a few years ago. The car parked next to the Roadster is a modern-built replica of one of Lotus' original cars. So, sort of a family portrait...

My knowledge of rockets and such is mostly from what I have read here, in particular the thread on Space X Option Package. Imagine the noise from something like a steam cleaner or fire extinguisher, neither of which produce any significant thrust. Now multiply that enough to actually produce thrust, and then light up a half dozen of them all at once. Yeah, it will be loud.

I'm personally not into taking my cars to the track, so not something I would go for. I also expect it'll be rather pricy. But it could be handy for scaring the %^$*! out of someone who gets too close to the car. Just saying...

Greg

Family portrait.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Brando and J X 3
The Bond Edition will have a projectile loading mechanism and a computer vision based targeting system for each air thruster.lol.
Could also help in a high speed chase by using the air to destabilize the opponent's car
In a more science fiction scenario the car could use the air jets to create an air cushion and catch a falling object or human. This is kinda almost possible, Bond jumping from the 5th floor and the Roadster helps him land smoothly in the car. Ability to fly would come on top of that.
Anyway, the S is configured for comfort. it's a big sedan so it makes sense. M3 seems to be more alive and the Roadster appears to be aimed at a sporty feel, not just muscle.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Lasairfion

I have wondered about this too. I'm sure the new Roadster will have its own character… of some sort. I don't imagine it being much like the spirit of the original at all, though. It has a charisma that is not defined by specifications or logic.

And since rockets were mentioned, I've got to say that the whole idea is quite off-putting to me. It just seems ridiculous.

My 2011 Roadster had soul - and when asked how I liked the S after that first test drive event, I said 'It's a beautiful car, I love it - but it doesn't have the soul of a Roadster'.

I'm happy for now with my X. But I'm looking forward to the new Roadster, especially after those test rides. It may be slicker than the original, but I think we're going to find it still has that spark of soul.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I always said that the only thing I'd trade my Roadster for was a Roadster with AWD and supercharging. I had not planned on the sort of supercar that the Roadster 2020 appears to be, but if I can make it work somehow, I will get one, and the peace of mind that will come from not worrying about spare parts will be great. I don't have a reservation yet as I think I am better keeping it invested than turning a deposit over to Tesla now, but I am hopeful that my car plus my unused pre-bought replacement battery (so R80 can be yours for just $5K) will make someone's day and help me with the down payment!

, but if I can make it work somehow, I will get one,

I have gave it a good thought. Cost aside there should be no concern of it's too much of a car. Unlike other supercars it will be as good if you drive is slow and unaggressively as if you drive it fast. It will still be better than most other cars even used as a daily driver. And in your case it should be many times better even if you use it exactly the same way as you are using your Roadster. No?

I have gave it a good thought. Cost aside there should be no concern of it's too much of a car. Unlike other supercars it will be as good if you drive is slow and unaggressively as if you drive it fast. It will still be better than most other cars even used as a daily driver. And in your case it should be many times better even if you use it exactly the same way as you are using your Roadster. No?

Got to say, this is one of the things I love about my Roadster. It's fun to drive fast, and it's fun to drive slow. That's in contrast to the Lotus Esprit V8 that I had before, which was fun to drive fast, but when I slowed down it was a rough, noisy, cranky beast.

Reactions: John W. Ratcliff