Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about free supercharging on older models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jared, your car has free supercharging for the life of the car - all P85s do. They didn't tie supercharging to owners until after the P85 was no longer made so it's an error on Tesla's part and your car will supercharge free forever no matter how many owners it has.

It was impossible to get a P85 without free supercharging forever. 60s made it an available upgrade but P85s included it with no option to pay as you go. I don't think I even saw the "no recent supercharges" area in the MCU until some time last year.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I agree that it would be shady to remove FUSC for life when a car is sold privately. It will definitely affect resale value for all owners with it.
When a car is traded in I have no problem with Tesla stripping it of FUSC since the owner was, hopefully, compensated for it.

What if Tesla took a car back off lease then wholesaled it at auction. Theoretically they could strip fusc. How would you know buying from a dealer! The dealers are usually terrible and know nothing about the vehicles to begin with. My guess is they would be totally clueless if a vehicle had unlimited supercharging.

That being said I’m looking for a 2016 90d. Ecause I drive between 30 to 40 thousand miles a year. Supercharging is a must for me, and now I really have no idea what to do.

Lawrence

Jared, your car has free supercharging for the life of the car - all P85s do. They didn't tie supercharging to owners until after the P85 was no longer made so it's an error on Tesla's part and your car will supercharge free forever no matter how many owners it has.

It was impossible to get a P85 without free supercharging forever. 60s made it an available upgrade but P85s included it with no option to pay as you go. I don't think I even saw the "no recent supercharges" area in the MCU until some time last year.

I agree that should absolutely be the case but stuck waiting for Tesla to admit that and fix it. Phone support could do nothing and said I had to wait for email response. We'll see how long that takes. In meantime I am now getting emails stating I need to add payment method to my account.

Got an email response from Tesla stating they are indeed removing free supercharging from 3rd party vehicles they do not own. "Thank you for contacting Tesla! My records indicate that you purchased this vehicle from a third-party seller. Unfortunately as of April 23rd, 2019, all Tesla vehicles purchased at third-party dealers/vendors will lose their unlimited Supercharging statuses. There may have been a slight delay in some credits disappearing as our systems had to implement the change fleet-wide. I apologize for the inconvenience."
I of course responded insisting this be escalated for an official justification on how they can remove items of value from a vehicle they do not own, in my case 2 months after I purchased it and did have the feature.