Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about range + wheel size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m planning on ordering a Model Y but have one question about wheel size.

18” aero wheels, aero cover OFF - I have heard this decreases range if aero cover is removed

19” sport wheels - do these wheels also decrease range compared to the 18” aero with aero cover ON?

On the Tesla Model Y configuration page, the range remains at 300 miles with either 18” aero or 19” sport selected. I guess I would expect range to go down a bit after selecting 19” sport?

Any clarification is appreciated. Thanks.

The sport wheels also have an aerodynamic design, maybe not as aerodynamic as the aero wheels but certainly better than the 18 inch without aero covers. But keep in mind that the size of the wheel also has a small impact on range. Larger wheel size = less range in general.

The aero covers do help with range by reducing drag. The 19”s are several pounds heavier so they increase rotational mass and decrease range.

If you search google, there’s a good spreadsheet that shows each Tesla and their range at certain speeds with certain wheel combos.

You can adjust your speed If you have a range issue when travelling, but for local commute range is not a really issue.

Otherwise, just for the look, I would take the 19" silver wheels

instead of those plastic cheap looking 18" covers, a real no-no for a car of that price.

Last edited:
The sport wheels also have an aerodynamic design, maybe not as aerodynamic as the aero wheels but certainly better than the 18 inch without aero covers. But keep in mind that the size of the wheel also has a small impact on range. Larger wheel size = less range in general.

Hmm, from this chart it looks like 18” sans aero cover gets more range than 19” sport in all cases?

https://teslike.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/3-mi-912.png

You can adjust your speed If you have a range issue when travelling, but for local commute range is not a really issue.

Otherwise, just for the look, I would take the 19" silver wheels

instead of those plastic cheap looking 18" covers, a real no-no for a car of that price.
agreed. i put in an order for a Y, with the current included color, the pearl white. the aero wheels are gross LOL

The aero cover increases efficiency by about 3.5% according to Car and Driver testing on their long term Model 3. I use the covers only on really long trips. Tesla’s small wheels also use low-rolling-resistance tires, which have a large, positive impact on range vs the stickier tires on the larger sport wheels.

Are the valves accessible with the Gemini covers on?
Yeah it looks like they are. Same as with the aero wheels.
94CD97FF-1E4E-4925-A611-40C9B3606ECA.jpeg