Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity for messenging, CarPlay, etc. in M3?

u00mem9

Jun 8, 2016
USA
Current Model S owner with an M3 reservation (that appears to be expected Q2 of 2023)...

I'm shocked daily that Tesla manages to sell Model S/X that have zero smartphone functionality for SMS, proper podcast and music service control. I suspect buyers just assume surely the car with a 17" LCD has those functions. And of course, CarPlay or the android near-equivalent would solve this immediately...but that would end their illusions of doing this on their own. (The failed plan since 2012)

Is it really the case that the M3 has launched, and it still doesn't have these services that are now basic and standard in a Honda? I thought surely they will have this sorted by the time public deliveries begin.

iluvmacs

Jan 27, 2014
Madison, WI
Yeah, I was astounded and disappointed when I learned that the Model S I got a few months ago had no way of even playing music from my iPhone over USB. I've been doing that in my other cars for 10 years.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Is it really the case that the M3 has launched, and it still doesn't have these services that are now basic and standard in a Honda?

The 3 does not appear to have any additional phone connectivity vs the S or X. It is annoying, yes. A Tesla quirk.

• Informative
Reactions: u00mem9

Hchander

Feb 16, 2018
CA
You can play music from your phone via Bluetooth. Open the music by touching music icon, select “phone” from the options ( radio-streaming-phone) at the top. Select phone and then select music from the phone to play. I have been able to play from my play lists, Pandora, Spotify and TuneIn apps from my I phone.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC