Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

connectivity plan coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems AT&T Wireless is finally feeling the heat from competition (t-mobile) and over the weekend lowered prices on their "mobile share" plan. I have a 10GB shared data pool with two phones for $130/mo now and they say you can add a "tablet" for $10/month additional that shares the 10GB data pool. That is pretty reasonable so perhaps this is the new plan for Tesla to announce?

The new plans also eliminate device subsidies, so it's not exactly "lowered pricing," it's the unbundling of the subsidy from the price. If you're on the MobileShare plan, you've been able to add a tablet for $10/month for quite some time now.

OMG what you guys pay.... I pay €39 / month for unlimited 4G usage (and I use about 100-130GB each month) it's also without speed limits. I could get for €15 a 50GB 15 Mbit plan on 4G...

The state and cost of Internet (wired and mobile) in the United States is pitiful. We have gotten a lot better in the past decade (when it was terrible) but it still is overpriced and slow, and very limited.

The USA has a lower population density, more companies with no compatible services, and higher profit margins. Thus higher costs and worse service.

BTW cell and data is not "free market." It is still highly regulated though poorly thought out.

FWIW, I just had a nice customer service experience with ATT, which I use for my iPhone. Got a new phone last month and inadvertently used the data plan rather than wifi to synch up the new one, causing a never-event overage for the month. I called ATT to try to figure if it occurred on the day of doing the new phone thing, or if there was some other problem. The lady was extremely helpful, confirmed that it was that day only, and refunded the overage charge. In addition, she said they have new plans by which I could get everything I've had for twenty bucks less a month. She switched me over and gave a credit for January, even though it was now February. I commented on getting the same bennies for fewer pennies, and she acknowledged that it's a tough market out there and they realized they needed to shape up. I mention this hopefully, vis a vis the expected connectivity charges for the Tesla.

I could be mistaken, but the way I read those new sharing plans is really a way to wean customers off of subsidized phones. Basically if you are on the "old" plan you pay more (as an example it would cost 3 people on our current plan with unlimited talk and text and 3 GB of data each $190 vs. $145 on the new plan with 10 GB shared. So that's $45 less a month or over the 2 year period a savings of $1080. That sounds great, but if you swap phones every 2 years those three unsubsidized phones will cost $450 more times the three phones or $1350 in additional costs. As a result you end up close to $300 more out of pocket with the "improved" plan.

I could be mistaken, but the way I read those new sharing plans is really a way to wean customers off of subsidized phones. Basically if you are on the "old" plan you pay more (as an example it would cost 3 people on our current plan with unlimited talk and text and 3 GB of data each $190 vs. $145 on the new plan with 10 GB shared. So that's $45 less a month or over the 2 year period a savings of $1080. That sounds great, but if you swap phones every 2 years those three unsubsidized phones will cost $450 more times the three phones or $1350 in additional costs. As a result you end up close to $300 more out of pocket with the "improved" plan.

Funny you mention that. I just went through the whole switching plans for my 3 lines with ATT. I was a fool to not realize that caveat, and the store person said nothing about that. I went back the same day to switch back to my own plan and the persons who helped earlier said I never asked about 2 year subsidized portion of the new plan. So it was my fault for not knowing the "fine" line that was never advertised. Will not make that mistake again.

I could be mistaken, but the way I read those new sharing plans is really a way to wean customers off of subsidized phones. Basically if you are on the "old" plan you pay more [...] $190 vs. $145 on the new plan with 10 GB shared. So that's $45 less a month or over the 2 year period a savings of $1080. That sounds great, but if you swap phones every 2 years those three unsubsidized phones will cost $450 more times the three phones or $1350 in additional costs. As a result you end up close to $300 more out of pocket with the "improved" plan.

Or, you could keep each phone for 6 months more and come out even, keep it for three full years and come out $300 ahead, and so on. Weaning yourself off the semi-forced upgrade cycle created by that $400 subsidy is not a bad thing to me... the amount of e-waste generated by modern society is obscene, and the lack of support for older versions of phones is ridiculous. A three-year upgrade cycle to save money may be a welcome thing to many people. Knowing the true cost of a phone will also cause less distortion in buyer behavior when purchasing, and phone makers may find themselves pressured to offer more affordable versions of their phones (or in the case of Apple, to lower margins).

We may disagree, but I'm entirely in favor of separating the cost of the phone from the cost of the service. Currently, if I don't upgrade every two years I'm still paying my carrier for the subsidy I'm no longer getting. Transparency is a good thing.

How can we 'access' this sim card ? I need to change the simcard... Anybody know the 'exact' location of the sim card ? Please dont ask me why because Im living in Turkey :)

I think if you swap it for non-Tesla SIM card the car will stop working. That's what I've heard from Tesla at least that it's one reason why the car isn't easily stealable that even if they disable remote access Tesla can access it still and if they remove the SIM the car will stop.

I think if you swap it for non-Tesla SIM card the car will stop working. That's what I've heard from Tesla at least that it's one reason why the car isn't easily stealable that even if they disable remote access Tesla can access it still and if they remove the SIM the car will stop.

So the only way to work with internet (navigation/web/updates/etc..) is tethering with mobilephone or gsm's usb wifi tethering adapter, am I right?

Highly unlikely the car would stop if the SIM is removed.

Any change in SIM card will require an APN to be configured for that service provider. Presumably, this could be done easily via the touch screen if you have access to the diagnostic mode.

Otherwise, just changing the SIM won't do much and will disable any remote diagnostics, remote control, and/or data services tied to the car (eg. Slacker, Tunein Radio, Google Maps, etc...).

Doubtful it would disable the car entirely, though.