Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

connectivity plan coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I won't need connectivity if the GPS still works without it. I was under the impression that it worked on the google maps platform like an iPhone.

What are the other major uses that require connectivity? Will you no longer be able to turn the heat on from your iPhone or check the battery status remotely? Can Tesla still check diagnostics remotely?

I really think a basic free service is the way to go. Obviously if people are using it for browsing the net costly it becomes very expensive for Tesla. I'm thinking a free service would include integrating things like yelp or open table, maybe scheduling service, etc. If you want apps like Pandora or Facebook they could price the app/connectivity accordingly as some sort of monthly fee just like XM.

The reason Tesla has become so popular over failed EVs is because of the little things like the app, remote diagnostics, google maps with non-tech (although I think this would be one of those paid "apps"), etc. Most people buying the car aren't going to sweat over the monthly dollar amount, but on the other hand showing off your mobile app to some non-tesla driving friends is amazing cheap advertising.

All you AT&T bashers -- you do realize your cars have been using the AT&T network all along, right?

As for plan cost, here's the AT&T mobile data plans -- notice that the "automotive" plan is $10/mo. Although, AT&T may use one of the tablet plans instead ($15, $30 or $50 per month depending on data cap...)
ATT

All you AT&T bashers -- you do realize your cars have been using the AT&T network all along, right?

As for plan cost, here's the AT&T mobile data plans -- notice that the "automotive" plan is $10/mo. Although, AT&T may use one of the tablet plans instead ($15, $30 or $50 per month depending on data cap...)
ATT

Yes, that is why I have dead spots in my data and slacker. I teather to Verizon when in a dead spots with my cell phone to augment ATT's lack of coverage.

I have also notice a lack of bandwidth with ATT in high usage areas. I had full 5 bars in Pismo Beach during Labor day weekend and the cars system was unusable. Switched to Verizon Via teather and all systems returned normal.

I guess I won't need connectivity if the GPS still works without it. I was under the impression that it worked on the google maps platform like an iPhone.

What are the other major uses that require connectivity? Will you no longer be able to turn the heat on from your iPhone or check the battery status remotely? Can Tesla still check diagnostics remotely?

I really think a basic free service is the way to go. Obviously if people are using it for browsing the net costly it becomes very expensive for Tesla. I'm thinking a free service would include integrating things like yelp or open table, maybe scheduling service, etc. If you want apps like Pandora or Facebook they could price the app/connectivity accordingly as some sort of monthly fee just like XM.

The reason Tesla has become so popular over failed EVs is because of the little things like the app, remote diagnostics, google maps with non-tech (although I think this would be one of those paid "apps"), etc. Most people buying the car aren't going to sweat over the monthly dollar amount, but on the other hand showing off your mobile app to some non-tesla driving friends is amazing cheap advertising.

The people here are glossing over the fact that the map on the main screen will not work without data. Only the navigation on the speed display will work.

I'm still holding out hope that our annual service contract will include data. If not, I still can't figure out why it's $600/year for such a low-maintenance vehicle (unless those mysterious "hardware updates" are really spectacular!).

Also, one of the main reasons I got the tech package was for the tinting side mirrors at night. Love those!

I have no problem paying a reasonable monthly fee for 4g service, but the current data interface is slow beyond measure. It appears that many of us are frustrated with the weakness of the ATT coverage, but it is also clear that Tesla had their reasons for the contractual choice. In light of Tesla's commitment to superior technology, I'd love to know the rationale behind maintaining 3G service and for selecting a data partner with inferior coverage.

Tesla should do everything they can to show everyone all the hidden savings, opposed to hidden costs. Continue to build the company on great customer service (the main advantage in this market) and profits will follow. Don't charge your loyal customer base (who already spent $70-130k on your car) $120-150 a year for a minuscule expense. Maybe keep it free and limit the web browsing and use the tesla approved app based approach.
To be fair Tesla never said connectivity would be free with the tech package, in fact most people thought they would start charging for data back in February-March of 2013, so to have that option free this whole time for their customers is pretty darn loyal.
Its also not a "hidden cost" as there is no price for it yet, its FREE, once they start charging for it, im sure it will not be hidden and people will know exactly how much it will cost.

The reason Tesla has become so popular over failed EVs is because of the little things like the app, remote diagnostics, google maps with non-tech (although I think this would be one of those paid "apps"), etc.

Maybe, but im more inclined to think the long range and amazing performance had a lot to do with the car becoming so popular.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it should be free for everyone that has cars in process or already in service. Once the plan is announced, anything moving forward follows the new structure. I hate monthly fees.
Why do you think that?
Tesla never promised free connectivity... There was always going to be a monthly fee for it.

- - - Updated - - -

$10/mo?

If it costs $6500 to install 21 inch tires with rims and $650 for the yacht floor, connectivity is easily $45/m.
Thats an interesting point, will Tesla just charge what the carrier charges or will they tack on a few bucks for their troubles as well

If they force only a single carrier choice on us, it would be irritating, and twice as bad if its att. I prefer tmobile because its way cheaper for what you get, doesn't cut you off if you reach the 'cap', try to trap you with plans, and also has free roaming to canada. I can add another real phone to my plan with data for less than the at&t rates. A single provide is really sub-optimal since there are many areas of the us that are bad for one provider or another. while tmobile is great here in the seattle area, I'm told they are awful in the bay area. I'm sure that every carrier has their own location limitations.

A 300 MB service from AT&T costs $20.00/m. Go up to 1GB, and it's $45.00/m.

No way this is any less than that... 3G/4G or whatever.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree, although those are retail charges. My guess is that Tesla was waiting for the AT&T announcement to finalize plans.

While it's fun to speculate what Tesla *could* or *should* do, it's probably easiest to take a look at what their peers are up to and extrapolate from that. Granted, Tesla have done things its own way (mostly), however in this domain they have considerably less control. This is recurring cost to a third party supplier.

I do think Tesla will include vehicle diagnostics and remote access for free. That won't cost them a ton, and they can control the amount of traffic that goes over the network easily (and off-load to WiFi when needed).

Tesla *will* charge for enhanced features such as Google Maps (data hog) and Internet radio access (another potential hog depending on bit rate), and other application access (when other apps come).

Audi connect is anywhere from $15 to $30 a month on T-Mobile (depending on your commitment), and Mercedes Mbrace is $14 to $20 a month. It's hard to compare directly because these services differ in some ways, but the basic premise of "internet connectivity" is the same. I expect Tesla to be in the same ballpark (but closer to $30). Tesla doesn't have the same scale as the others.

As far as the network debate goes (who's better), it really comes down to a ton of factors. AT&T makes the most sense for connected car services in the US because of two major reasons: GSM/UMTS and 850 MHz licenses. GSM/UMTS because it's global - the complexities and cost of adding CDMA for 1 market when they can focus the global GSM market, well, it doesn't really make much sense. That leaves AT&T or T-Mobile in the US. T-Mobile doesn't have any 850 MHz spectrum, which means, rural coverage suffers. AT&T has a ton of it. In general, AT&T has much broader coverage than T-Mobile - just take a look at a coverage map and compare).

The question of coverage quality is highly variable and personal. It's about where you live and where you travel. Some will have superior T-Mobile coverage, some AT&T, and some Verizon. Site density, technology, frequency, and network management (generally in that order) dictate what your experience is going to be.

Verizon got a jump start on LTE deployment because CDMA was clearly on its last legs (Sprint got distracted by Clearwire and Wimax). AT&T followed behind, and T-Mobile and Sprint are playing catch up. LTE, unfortunately, is moot at the moment because Tesla's hardware doesn't support it. The Faux-G (4G) marketing mess (thanks, AT&T) makes things a bit confusing for the average consumer (when it's intent was to make it easy). Based on current generation hardware (3G, not 4G), if Tesla chose Verizon instead of AT&T as their network partner, Tesla customers would be stuck on the extremely slow CDMA EVDO network, and not Verizon's LTE network.

You think you have problems today with AT&T? I shudder to think how bad it could have been on Verizon 3G.

On the LTE front, this article from CNN mentions only 4G (HSPA) from Tesla. I don't have much faith in the accuracy of CNN as a news agency (especially in the technology domain), but it's not encouraging. I'm hoping Tesla just hasn't made the switch yet.

Oh, and one more thing... it's doubtful Tesla will let you pick carriers (I too, would love this), but I'm sure some enterprising folks around here will be able to figure out a SIM swap easily enough (it's the APN settings that may prove difficult to change).

Anything more than $15 per month is too much for what you get. Tesla has made the mistake of tying too much functionality to Internet access (making you need internet for voice commands to work is just dumb). It is going to be a mess when people (who don't spend time on TMC) finally figure out the basic functionality that they are going to start having to pay a monthly fee for.

At this time, unlimited internet is being provided using AT&T 3G service (where available) at no charge, until Tesla shifts to a connectivity plan - which hasn't been announced yet.

When parked at locations with WiFi, internet access can be routed to WiFi, which provides higher speeds - and is preferred by Tesla for transmitting software updates tot he car.

And with the latest software updates, it is possible to access the internet via smartphone, though I haven't tried it.