TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light

Discussion in 'Model X' started by scottf200, Nov 19, 2015.

1. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#1 scottf200, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Does anyone currently use or are planning on using a hitched mounted extra "bumper" with/without extra brake light.

a) Thinking about extra brake light useful and b) limit/stop damage from minor stoplight rear ended situation.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Bully/black_bull_truck_hitch_steps_bully.html
    SuperBumper Bumper Protector, Rear Bumper Guard, Hitch Step, Ball Mount

Image: http://i.imgur.com/ZRDjpZ7.png
    ZRDjpZ7.png

Accessory Step | etrailer.com
    CR-600_15_250.jpg

Amazon.com: Go Rhino! 360B Black HitchStep for 2 Receivers: Automotive
    41lngzzAZjL.jpg

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I do admit, after seeing your post, I thought about buying one for my current hitch and possibly transfer to the Model-X.

However, I think this would be one of those purchases that you would find useless after a certain while. I can't think of a use-case where it would be useful to stand on the hitch (it's not like you're going to be carrying much on the roof). Also, those LED lights don't look too bright, so I doubt they'll be noticed. Maybe if both your tail-lights are out, they could come in handy.

On a boxy, tough pick-up truck, it could look okay, but on a rounded, sleek Model-X, I don't think it would look that good. I may change my mind if I could see one installed on a Model-X, but mentally imagining it on a Model-X seems to clash with the design.

3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

It might be nice to have but I don't know if it would actually help drivers behind you that much. If they can't see your taillights or third brake light, I don't know how having another light placed even lower would be 'more' visible. Plus it would stick out past the bumper so it could actually lead to more accidents/damage if the driver behind you tries to get too close or if parallel parking spots are tight.

4. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

The brake light was only on one example. Other examples are for being rear ended.

Check out this recent thread: Tesla hit in the back for the second time

5. Vitold

Vitold Member

Do you really want someone to bend your hitch mount just to protect your car from minor bumps. I think this little extra bumper will not be visible to other drivers and will be bumped often when trying to park behind your car.

6. Ko_deZ

Ko_deZ New Member

That hitch bumper is connected more or less directly to the MX frame. The bumper has shock-absorbers and loads of stuff to avoid damaging the important stuff. I would say this seems like an exceedingly bad idea.

• Like x 2
  7. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

So virtually the same if they just hit your hitch with their solid bumper. Even the base Model X comes with a hitch.

2016-tesla-model-x-tow.jpg

8. electracity

electracity Active Member

^^This^^

• Like x 1
  9. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

This reminds me of the cute hitch light I bought for my F150 many years ago. It work great until the first winter season when I backed into a snowbank and broke the thing. I drove 2 years with that broken hitch light before I finally got around to unplugging it and throwing it away.

Maybe I'm a slow learner, but I'm still considering the hitch step/light for the Model-X. At Least the LEDs look like they're recessed and somewhat protected. I'll wait till I get the X before making any final decisions. I'm still concerned that it won't look right with the shape/stylings of the Model-X.

10. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Some of them compress. One of my original links.

image003.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Again what if they hit the hitch with their bumper tho that even comes on the base model without the tow package. That is connected to the frame.

11. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#11 scottf200, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    The sites I originally pointed to also had this option that looks more like a cover. Unless someone doesn't get the accessory hitch (optional) then they will have a hitch attached to the frame so if you get rear-ended your hitch attached to your frame will likely get hit anyway.

Hitch cover below can be rotated 180 degrees according to the description (tall vs mid height truck/SUVs reasoning).

From 1st post: SuperBumper Bumper Protector, Rear Bumper Guard, Hitch Step, Ball Mount

Image: http://i.imgur.com/0SKNPwy.png
    0SKNPwy.png

12. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

Actually the hitch receiver that is part of the towing package is a removable piece that is only attached when you need to tow. See some of the delivery threads for photos.

WeatherTech also makes a bumper, for those nevertheless interested: WeatherTech BumpStep® Hitch Mounted Bumper Protection | WeatherTech.com

13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

14. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Kind of wished I had one of these things above then I may not have had to visit the auto body shop! Hit was not very hard and hatch is really only part that got dented. Bumper did get bent in and bounced back but reflectors were broke.

Thought some may like to see the underside of the bumper in this picture. Not sure if the hitch would have been damaged based on the bump/jolt I had. I guess if it did that damage it could have been more expensive. Below was ~$3500 not including the redo of the Opti-Coat Pro+ that will be done in a month or so.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/r7D4dn7.jpg

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  15. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Damn! Sorry to hear! :eek:

What are the odds that, you, who started this discussion on having an extra bumper would actually end up getting rear ended so soon. o_O:(

16. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Thanks. The odds are worse because within a week of that happening I was at an automatic car wash (curtain ribbon wash for roof) with our '11 Volt reaching to pay the machine ... when I got jolted. The guy right behind me was goofing on his phone and his foot slipped off his brake. The hexagon screw had left a nice impression into my bumper.