Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering ID.Buzz

What would be needed to opt for ID.Buzz instead of Model X?

• Individually controlled headrest-mounted displays for passengers, option for control by driver/front

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tiger

Oct 31, 2016
The real UN
With all the delays and everything, I'm wondering, what would be needed for me to opt for ID.Buzz instead of Model X? They are almost same length and width. What do you think? For me the deal breakers would be mid 2 second 0-60 performance and 350 mile EPA range, all the rest is easily covered by aftermarket solutions.

156493_volkswagen-id-buzz-volkswagen-id-buzz-vw-ccs-combined-charging-system-microbus-mpv-multi-purpose-vehicle-pic2-1024x717.jpeg

For me the deal breakers would be mid 2 second 0-60 performance and 350 mile EPA range, all the rest is easily covered by aftermarket solutions.
I think it highly unlikely that the ID.Buzz will achieve those specs. Even Tesla can’t achieve that for the Model X Plaid (which appears to be what you are comparing the ID.Buzz to) which has an EPA range of 313 miles and the 0-60 time you want.

This article about the ID.Buzz VW ID. Buzz - Everything we know as of November 2021 speculates that “The van’s maximum power could range between 150 kW (201 hp) and 275 kW (369 hp). The biggest battery pack may deliver a range of between 325 and 350 miles (WLTP).”

A 275 kW motor is not going to achieve a 0-60 time anywhere near the “mid 2 second” figure you want.

Note that the WLTP rating is usually significantly higher than the EPA rating, though in Tesla’s case they are about the same. See Here Is What A Comparison Of EPA/WLTP Range Ratings Reveal

The same article quotes a senior VW executive as saying:
“In the U.S., deliveries of the ID. Buzz will likely commence in 2023. Prof. Carsten Intra, CEO, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, has confirmed 2023 as the year when the VW Bus will return to America.”

Initial demand may be very high compared to production capacity and it is possible that you would not receive the car until late 2023. Do you want to wait that long?

It looks like a cool EV and I hope it is a success.

7+ seats
300+ mile "real" range (which, if VW rates it at 300, you know it will actually do it, unlike SOME PEOPLE)
Supercharger access, unless somebody poops out 7,000 comparably reliable and affordably-priced and easily accessed CCS stations in the US between now and 2023
...that's it. I don't care who makes it or what it looks like, somebody shut up and take my money. Nobody but Tesla makes that vehicle yet. Nobody but Tesla is liable to have that charging thing solved anytime soon either. Sooooo yeah.

You mean from that paragon of truth, the same folks who brought us Dieselgate?
They're the people who brought us the Taycan and TRONs - their cars beat their range estimates pretty consistently in the real world.

They seemed to have continued with the over promise and don't deliver at all mindset of the diesel powertrain compliance people with the EA network though...