Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Model X purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the plaid really worth the huge hassle? I personally don't think so. It's not versatile for what you need. Removing the 2nd row is probably not going to be supported by Tesla. Remember those are powered seats with sensors, even the controls are on the screen for seat heating. And even if you somehow do remove it do you really want an SUV where you can not carry any passengers when not with your dog?

It's sad that plaid does not fold flat nor come in a bench seat configuration. The bench seat is very useful for dogs. Elon would have sold more plaids had he not handicapped them with their seat configuration.

As for someone else mentioning that they just let their dog walk around on the floor, that is a terrible idea. In an accident the driver could be killed as well as the dog.

Use the bench seat with a seat belt, or fold flat all the seats and get a crate in there strapped in. Seems like the long range X is the way to go. And trust me, it's still very fast, much faster than your Y.

Last edited:
autoMy Doberman (90 lbs) fits between the captain's chairs in the back. Or in front of the 2nd-row captain chairs. The auto bird doors make it easy for the canines to get in and out. Also, have a min pin that fits everywhere, lol.
Not a good idea. In an accident both the driver/passenger and the dog can be critically injured or killed. Strap him in somehow.

autoMy Doberman (90 lbs) fits between the captain's chairs in the back. Or in front of the 2nd-row captain chairs. The auto bird doors make it easy for the canines to get in and out. Also, have a min pin that fits everywhere, lol.
Might be a good temp solution but I don't think the 3rd row plus trunk is large enough xD
Is the plaid really worth the huge hassle? I personally don't think so. It's not versatile for what you need. Removing the 2nd row is probably not going to be supported by Tesla. Remember those are powered seats with sensors, even the controls are on the screen for seat heating. And even if you somehow do remove it do you really want an SUV where you can not carry any passengers when not with your dog?

It's sad that plaid does not fold flat nor come in a bench seat configuration. The bench seat is very useful for dogs. Elon would have sold more plaids had he not handicapped them with their seat configuration.

As for someone else mentioning that they just let their dog walk around on the floor, that is a terrible idea. In an accident the driver could be killed as well as the dog.

Use the bench seat with a seat belt, or fold flat all the seats and get a crate in there strapped in. Seems like the long range X is the way to go. And trust me, it's still very fast, much faster than your Y.
Currently in a M3P

For chauffeuring a dog that big around, I’d look for another vehicle instead of trying to modify a $100K Tesla. Seems crazy!
Yea looks like I'll be hopping back to a BMW or Porsche SUV instead since they have performance and actual utility

I want to do it but tesla was not so fond of that one. Removing and modding seats in the 3/S they support but not the X it looks like

For chauffeuring a dog that big around, I’d look for another vehicle instead of trying to modify a $100K Tesla. Seems crazy!
But I'm also an engineer so I kind of like the challenge and project,

Also the 3rd row is left usable in my approach as the chips are left in having the car think that they are there, allowing humans and the nnessecary usage of the seat belt for the dog (he wears a harness with a paracable seat belt)

Simplicity but also more expensive would be non EV route (looking to maintain performance in my daily driver)

Yea looks like I'll be hopping back to a BMW or Porsche SUV instead since they have performance and actual utility

I want to do it but tesla was not so fond of that one. Removing and modding seats in the 3/S they support but not the X it looks like
Not sure if you are thinking the X LR is slow or something. It's faster than any Porsche or BMW SUV. I'll bet money on a race!

Reactions: Adair Martin
It's faster than your M3P. Take a look at 1/4 mile times (11.3@123mph). Heck that's faster than a Urus. Unfortunately Tesla limited the 0-30mph, above 30mph though....it's a beast.
0-50 matters most in daily driving, not trying to go to jail hitting triple digits, I've looked at and test drove model X 2023 platforms

I am not saying your wrong, I am saying I haven't seen the data, May I ask the year/chassis your referring to so I can do my research?

0-50 matters most in daily driving, not trying to go to jail hitting triple digits, I've looked at and test drove model X 2023 platforms

I am not saying your wrong, I am saying I haven't seen the data, May I ask the year/chassis your referring to so I can do my research?
I am referring to the latest version which it seems you have test driven already. Have you nailed the throttle at around 30 while in insane mode? It'll pull harder than your M3P and harder than any BMW, Porsche, even Lambo SUV.

When your hitting the M series I would disagree same with porsche on the higher end

But the cost is dramatically different hence my inquiry to model X
Find me 1/4 mile time better than 11.3sec@123mph on a BMW or Porsche SUV.

The X with 670hp is far more power than any BMW or Porsche SUV. It's simple physics.

Now if you want to factor in the instant torque available when passing, the BMW and Porsche will be blown out of the water. ICE is terrible at passing, no matter how much HP. Takes them a second just to get into the power band.

Now I'm not saying BMW or Porsche SUVs suck, they are pretty awesome. But just know that even with "M" series, you are certainly going to be slower than the regular X.

I am referring to the latest version which it seems you have test driven already. Have you nailed the throttle at around 30 while in insane mode? It'll pull harder than your M3P and harder than any BMW, Porsche, even Lambo SUV.
I currently have it as a loaner,
Yes I have done the cheetah stance launch as well to test this.

It definitely has pull I will give you that but I don't think it would out perform the M3P. I have overtaken pretty much any X that wasn't plaid that actually tried (that is a key factor as well)

I will look at stats but currently best I find is about 3.8 standing and around 3.5 from rolling start

Which dont get me wrong, that is amazing for the size and price of the vehicle

The X with 670hp is far more power than any BMW or Porsche SUV. It's simple physics.

Now if you want to factor in the instant torque available when passing, the BMW and Porsche will be blown out of the water. ICE is terrible at passing, no matter how much HP. Takes them a second just to get into the power band.

Now I'm not saying BMW or Porsche SUVs suck, they are pretty awesome. But just know that even with "M" series, you are certainly going to be slower than the regular X.
911 outperforms many cars with half the HP, it is how it delivers it not the HP

Mostly looking at realistic performance I can use, rolling starts and sitting starts ti 40-60 mph

But I do see what your saying it's performance is great on quarter mile

X3M Comp can keep up with a M3P from sitting for example

I currently have it as a loaner,
Yes I have done the cheetah stance launch as well to test this.

It definitely has pull I will give you that but I don't think it would out perform the M3P. I have overtaken pretty much any X that wasn't plaid that actually tried (that is a key factor as well)

I will look at stats but currently best I find is about 3.8 standing and around 3.5 from rolling start

Which dont get me wrong, that is amazing for the size and price of the vehicle
Right, remember that Tesla measures all it's "performance" version with rolling start. So your M3P is 3.1sec with rolling start. The X is 3.5sec with rolling start.

M3P: 0-60 3.1 (rollout subtracted), 11.6@115mph
MX: 0-60 3.5 (rollout subtracted), 11.3@123mph

Your can see what is happening. Tesla limited 0-30 in software. But above 30 it is pulling so hard that it catches up and beats the M3P. Also check out the trap speed 123mph v. M3P at only 115mph.

Reactions: CircuitBreaker
X3M Comp can keep up with a M3P from sitting for example
That is a tiny SUV and certainly would not work for you.

Also real life v. marketing specs are not the same. With ICE cars, getting those numbers is very difficult. You need perfect road conditions with perfect launch.

Real life is very different. I have read about how people have taken out C8 vettes and Porsches, etc so easily in their non-plaid S. In a Tesla, you just nail it and get best results every time.

Race from any moving speed and it's no comparison. By the time ICE spools up, gets in the power band, downshifts, the Tesla is already 10 car lengths ahead. It's already over.

Reactions: CircuitBreaker