Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering switching from Audi SQ5 to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just joined so that I can learn more about the Model Y as I seriously consider switching from my 2018 Audi SQ5 to the Y.

A couple of questions that I'm hoping you all can help me answer:
  1. I test drove the Y at my local dealer and the salesperson strongly suggested I place an order before Sept. 7 since that is when they start producing the Y for APAC countries and that the wait time will most likely increase from 3-5 weeks to, potentially, several months. Does anyone know if this is true?
  2. I wouldn't take delivery of the Y until end of December or first week of Jan, 2021 and the salesperson said I could place my order with a future delivery date. Has anyone done this and is it true?
  3. Dealer also suggested I place the order through him vs. ordering online...any benefits to the buyer for doing this?
  4. The primary hesitation I have is that I tow motorcycles to the race track but after watching some of the Y towing videos on YouTube I think I'll be good to go (I don't have a heavy enclosed trailer that will exceed the 3,500 pound limit). But, curious to hear if anyone here tows with their Y and what their experience has been?
  5. Lastly, if anyone has transitioned from a CUV to a Y, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Sounds like the sales guy is pretty keen to get the order but personally I'd say wait if you don't need it until Dec/Jan - ordering now is way too soon and I don't think the stores are accurately up to date on what ships when. If you do order now you'll need to be VERY clear what happens if they contact you in 3-5 weeks (the current wait time) and tell you it's being delivered.

I prefer ordering online to take out the human element and make sure everything is 100% the way I want it. I'd also recommend using my referral link but maybe I'm biased on that. ;-)

Not sure on your other questions.

I would recommend ordering the factory hitch since you'll get tow mode and no potential warranty issues.

I'd suggest waiting a bit longer to order. On our end, we were told a few weeks ago to expect some delays in parts and production due to them retooling several of the production lines for the Y to address fitment and paint issues. On my call yesterday, they vaguely inferred that the retooling wasn't quite complete yet (the call was in regards to parts delays and tolerances we wanted to hit on our body repair work). Take that how you will, but I'm a bit anal about fitment/paint/etc., so I'd personally give it another month or so at least. Just my .02.

I'd suggest waiting a bit longer to order. On our end, we were told a few weeks ago to expect some delays in parts and production due to them retooling several of the production lines for the Y to address fitment and paint issues. On my call yesterday, they vaguely inferred that the retooling wasn't quite complete yet (the call was in regards to parts delays and tolerances we wanted to hit on our body repair work). Take that how you will, but I'm a bit anal about fitment/paint/etc., so I'd personally give it another month or so at least. Just my .02.

Then again when I asked my delivery advisor about this a couple of weeks ago, she said categorically that there are no slowdowns or retooling going on, they are flat out producing for end of Q3. This and the many other stories/comments lead me to be very sceptical of what you hear from any staff - I don't think most are well informed enough to really know, or they're feeding from the same info we are.

Reactions: Reborn and kevin1
Could be true. We do talk to different teams, though. I was speaking to our regional in charge of the body shop program since our internal score with Tesla is tied in to our cycle time. I was concerned that we'd be dinged when our parts started getting delayed again. But, who really knows. The only thing we can offer is what we see day in and day out. We have seen the Y's improving from the initial runs, but it's still touch and go. We may get one that's pretty damn good and the next has quite a few issues that we need to correct.

Could be true. We do talk to different teams, though. I was speaking to our regional in charge of the body shop program since our internal score with Tesla is tied in to our cycle time. I was concerned that we'd be dinged when our parts started getting delayed again. But, who really knows. The only thing we can offer is what we see day in and day out. We have seen the Y's improving from the initial runs, but it's still touch and go. We may get one that's pretty damn good and the next has quite a few issues that we need to correct.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, what kind of issues are you currently seeing with the Y?

Thanks. Out of curiosity, what kind of issues are you currently seeing with the Y?

It's nothing new and unexpected. The majority of issues are still panel fitment and paint issues. In the beginning, there were some glaring flaws with paint. Measuring the thickness from panel to panel we saw a crazy range that either didn't hit minimum requirements or exceeded them. One car would have six different thicknesses from one panel to the other. There were also issues with color variations, solvent pop, and some clouding. Granted, we are much more observant and critical of this due to the nature of our business. Many consumers probably wouldn't even notice; however, once it's pointed out once...it's hard to ignore.

Then there's the usual issue with panels not fitting correctly. We are regularly sent Y's post delivery and asked to readjust the bodywork. Panel gaps were not consistent throughout the vehicle. In addition, many of the vehicles coming in had odd spots of damage. A very small dent here. A very tiny bulge there. To be frank, even we couldn't say definitively what caused these issues. We were asked to document each instance and send it up our chain to several teams in Tesla that oversee body shop program, delivery centers, production, and transport.

On a personal note, I've had one friend and one family member both order and receive their Y's in the past two months. One of them had a host of issues and they're still arguing with Tesla about it. Everything from water leaking in (documented well on the forums here) to fit and finish issues to electrical problems. The other Y that was delivered? It was perfectly flawless aside from one minor door ding that probably happened during transport. We fixed that and it's probably one of the best fitting Y's I've seen so far. The cars were delivered within a month of each other. So, it's hard to say.

To me, it's still a gamble. It may seem like I'm knocking Tesla hard here, but I'm not. I'm just trying to be transparent and share what we see. The tech in the vehicle is great. The innovation is still there. The experience is different. There's no question about that. And, yes, you will hear a disproportionately large amount of complaints compared to those who are satisfied. That's just human nature. However, from our point of view, the build quality still suffers quite a bit and they lag behind almost every other OE.

Just joined so that I can learn more about the Model Y as I seriously consider switching from my 2018 Audi SQ5 to the Y.

1. I test drove the Y at my local dealer and the salesperson strongly suggested I place an order before Sept. 7 since that is when they start producing the Y for APAC countries and that the wait time will most likely increase from 3-5 weeks to, potentially, several months. Does anyone know if this is true?
  2. I wouldn't take delivery of the Y until end of December or first week of Jan, 2021 and the salesperson said I could place my order with a future delivery date. Has anyone done this and is it true?
  3. Dealer also suggested I place the order through him vs. ordering online...any benefits to the buyer for doing this?
  4. The primary hesitation I have is that I tow motorcycles to the race track but after watching some of the Y towing videos on YouTube I think I'll be good to go (I don't have a heavy enclosed trailer that will exceed the 3,500 pound limit). But, curious to hear if anyone here tows with their Y and what their experience has been?

Thanks!
I can respond for 2 & 3. Yes a future delivery date is possible and is done all the time when ordering Tesla's. You can place the order online and let the salesperson know your order number. All they would do is assign themselves to your order. The only benefit of doing it this way is you have a local sales person to deal with than someone from another state. I went this route and was very pleased with my salesperson's response. I have read a lot of people complain about unresponsive sales associates. I hope that helps.

Also you can use referral links in either case i.e. salesperson completes the order for you or you do it yourself.

I've had one friend and one family member both order and receive their Y's in the past two months. One of them had a host of issues and they're still arguing with Tesla about it. Everything from water leaking in (documented well on the forums here) to fit and finish issues to electrical problems. The other Y that was delivered? It was perfectly flawless

This is exactly why my suggestion is just to go with an open mind and look at your particular vehicle. Every brand has issues (see the e-Tron leaking sunroofs for example) but Tesla definitely seems to have an overall lower level of quality and added to that a lot of variability.

I'd also say if you're looking for issues, you'll find them - I'll be picking up my second Tesla soon and while I'll definitely look it over, I don't intend to get a magnifying glass out and spend hours poring over it, I'll be driving off to enjoy it barring any major damage that's going to be a hassle to get fixed. My experience with Tesla service on my M3 over 90,000km has been excellent, I never had an issue getting anything fixed. In that however there seems to be variability too - some people seem to have better service centers than others.

Thanks!

I had a 2015 Audi Q5 TDI set up to euro spec SQ5, stage 2 software upgrade, over 550lbs torque and lowered suspension.
I now have a 2020 Y PUP. The Y is so much better in every category! Acceleration, handling, safety, auto driving, auto upgrades, almost no dealer visits. I could go on but I won't. Audi's fit and finish is better and that's it. I can never go back to ICE, ever! I have owned 50 cars of all kinds and worked on all of them. And I am done with doing my own oil changes, turbo rebuilds etc. Just a waste of time and energy.
I have had 5 EV's including a M3P. the Y is my favorite so far.
Enjoy

Thanks!

Im in exactly the same position! I’m relieved to find out I’m not the only SQ5 owner thinking about getting a Model Y.

I used to have a standard fare Q5 and loved that thing man. My wife loved that car and begged me to keep it. But its extended warranty ran out and we sold it, intending to pick up an SQ5. We must have test drove different SQ5 like five separate times. That thing is awesome. Especially in that gray color. But ultimately decided to wait for the Model Y due to the benefits of EV.

You really can't compare the luxe interior of the Audi, if that's what you're after. Fit and finish is great too. And just the solid feel and satisfaction of closing a German door. And never came across a single person on the Audi forums trying to get ride of their 21" S wheels to drop down to a 19". That's absurd to me, but that's just me.

If you're in it for long-term, then the Tesla is probably your best bet. But if you're leasing an Audi every few years, I say stick to it.

Sorry this is not much help. Still love my MY though.

I used to have a standard fare Q5 and loved that thing man. My wife loved that car and begged me to keep it. But its extended warranty ran out and we sold it, intending to pick up an SQ5. We must have test drove different SQ5 like five separate times. That thing is awesome. Especially in that gray color. But ultimately decided to wait for the Model Y due to the benefits of EV.

@kpinthebay Curious if you test drove an e-Tron? Seems like that would be the ideal path as it's close to an EV Q5?

@kpinthebay Curious if you test drove an e-Tron? Seems like that would be the ideal path as it's close to an EV Q5?

After I watched Doug's quirks and features of the etron I went out and test drove it to verify his Doug scores. The interior was just too much. And mind you, this was about a week after I test drove the MY. Drastic differences, as you can imagine. The thing drove pretty awesome, just like how you would expect from an Audi.

What turned me off?
-Styling. Wasn't much of a fan of the front end. And the crazy busy interior. For some reason, I thought the Q5 was a good balance. I wish the MY had a traditional cluster in front. Or at least a HUD.
-Model year skipping. They are skipping 2020 which probably means a new one for 2021? Would make the 2019 look dated.
-Color they were pushing for the crazy deals. They can't sell that aqua color, and they were basically giving that thing away.

After I watched Doug's quirks and features of the etron I went out and test drove it to verify his Doug scores. The interior was just too much. And mind you, this was about a week after I test drove the MY. Drastic differences, as you can imagine. The thing drove pretty awesome, just like how you would expect from an Audi.

What turned me off?
-Styling. Wasn't much of a fan of the front end. And the crazy busy interior. For some reason, I thought the Q5 was a good balance. I wish the MY had a traditional cluster in front. Or at least a HUD.
-Model year skipping. They are skipping 2020 which probably means a new one for 2021? Would make the 2019 look dated.
-Color they were pushing for the crazy deals. They can't sell that aqua color, and they were basically giving that thing away.

Interesting, thanks. I thought range might have been the reason. I've always had a soft spot for the Q5 and the e-Tron could be ideal but my Model 3 has spoiled me in terms of range expectations - I feel like the Audi would be pretty limiting, especially with the winters we get here in Ontario. I also suspect they intentionally kept range modest so as not to cannibalize their gasser range.

@Diamond Hills, thanks, for the honest reply; very much appreciated.

I'm going to wait until December to place my order...thanks, for all of your replies on that topic.

Good to hear some of you switched from a Q5 to the MY and have been happy. My lease ends on the SQ5 this December and I was planning on purchasing it (only has 16,000 miles on it) but have always wanted a Tesla. In the past, it just didn't work for me due to needing to tow motorcycles but now that the MY can tow, it's got me rethinking things.

@hakunamattata It sounds like I could place the order myself then work with a local salesperson to have their name associated with my order so that I have a local contact? (I would build the relationship with a salesperson before placing the order)

@Diamond Hills, thanks, for the honest reply; very much appreciated.

I'm going to wait until December to place my order...thanks, for all of your replies on that topic.

Good to hear some of you switched from a Q5 to the MY and have been happy. My lease ends on the SQ5 this December and I was planning on purchasing it (only has 16,000 miles on it) but have always wanted a Tesla. In the past, it just didn't work for me due to needing to tow motorcycles but now that the MY can tow, it's got me rethinking things.

@hakunamattata It sounds like I could place the order myself then work with a local salesperson to have their name associated with my order so that I have a local contact? (I would build the relationship with a salesperson before placing the order)

Yes that is correct, that is what I did when I ordered my Model 3

What turned me off?
The styling is too station wagon, but the Y isn’t my favorite either. We got a great offer to lease in a better color, but passed.

Imo the E-Tron was significantly better than the Q5e or even the Q5. Better torque and better suspension/handling. We actually loved the interior and numerous options after coming from so long having spartan/cheap Tesla EVs.

Three main things had us pass. The lane keep was poor, but could have been operator error. The preconditioning was unclear, and the salesman couldn’t provide answers. But the biggest factor is the MY is much quicker and more fun to drive.
I’d gladly pay for the MY to have the quality and luxury of the E-Tron.