Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering test driving one of these....any suggestions / advice welcome!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Goal is to replace the Buick (though might still keep that one - or sell privately which would likely be a better option than trading in). The progression to considering a hybrid and/or electric came about by wanting to move into something a bit more 'green' in terms of fuel consumption / emissions and so forth. It seems unfortunate that the auto industry has not moved in the direction of far better mpg. I've been reading about newer cars (well, most things are newer than mine) that don't have much better mpg than what I get now. The Riviera was sort of a unique (niche?) car in its day, so just thinking that it'd be cool to replace it with something special. So many cars today all look kind of alike for one thing compared to the individuality found with much older makes and models. Hope that somewhat clarifies the situation.

You raise some really good selling points. As to CarPlay, we've only used it once, and thought it was so much better than navigating using our iPhone 5S!

A few other items: My brother runs a car repair service and is also a mechanic - says they've seen a few (Teslas) in the shop for routine jobs but that they'd prefer not to work on them for any drivetrain or electrical issues - feels they are just too complex - plus, potentially dangerous if you're uniformed - as many shops undoubtedly are and probably will continue to be. Then, too, I suppose there's the concern about the lack of dealerships in certain areas in the event of a fender bender (or worse). Probably not too many used car parts available. So likely the new parts and labor done by an authorized dealer are probably pretty pricey. Of course, if one is considering spending that sort of money for a car anyway, probably not all that worried about ancillary costs going forward.

A work in progress...certainly worth driving one...and perhaps the I-Pace also.

A work in progress...certainly worth driving one...and perhaps the I-Pace also.
After you drive a Tesla, you will not go back to an ICE car. Its just a completely mind blowing experience. Tesla has issues with service and there are tons of folks that have had horror stories and there are even more folks (like myself) that have had good service experience.

Get one with a warranty and have some peace of mind regarding the repairs. Life is too short, if you can afford the Tesla of your choice, get it asap. You don't realize what you're missing just yet. :)

Great and very helpful info!! Thanks so much. Question though....one pedal? Not sure what you mean. I've been reading that there is a brake and accelerator pedal.....
Yup, just like a regular automatic transmission, but when you take your foot off the accelerator the car uses the motors to provide braking (like engine braking in a manual transmission), so once you're used to it you can slow the car quite effectively without touching the brake pedal until you're virtually stopped. It makes the car more efficient since you're recovering some energy as you slow down, and it reduces brake wear.

Maybe you've experienced something similar in an electric golf cart, or driving a manual transmission in first gear. Regen can be pretty aggressive in slowing you down. Most people really like it, but if you don't you can change a setting to make it less aggressive.

Great and very helpful info!! Thanks so much. Question though....one pedal? Not sure what you mean. I've been reading that there is a brake and accelerator pedal.....
When you take your foot off the accelerator pedal (and assuming the car is warmed up), the car immediately starts to slow down as the batteries recharge and you can basically drive the car with just the throttle. Its one of those amazing things about a Tesla. Drive one pronto.

How about security? Always kind of shied away from the idea of having suitcases, etc. in an SUV / hatchback since a trunk is more secure. We have an SUV also and have used it for local shopping, but most of the time when we do longer car trips we have used the Buick for the large trunk space.

One point about Car Play. With a Tesla, just because your car does not come with it, there is no reason it will not get it added after you own it. Tesla has the amazing capability of Over The Air updates. This means when something new comes out from Tesla, often it will simply be added to your existing car as you sleep some evening.

With my Model X, months after delivery I received automatic headlight adjusters, automatic windshield wiper speeds, faster Falcon Wing Door activation, a reduction in 0-60 speeds of one full second, The stereo got a frequency upgrade, my basic Autopilot was upgraded of Navigation on Autopilot and got much better as well.

Compared to your Buick, the Tesla will seem like a space ship. No more pollution, no more transmission shifting, everything so automated, fewer buttons to press. When you enter your car it knows you are there and starts itself up. When you close the door and walk away it will shut itself down. So simple, even a Caveman can do it.

Never go to a smelly gas station again, no more tune ups, transmission rebuilds, air filter replacements, oil changes...the benefits are amazing.

While a trunk gives more perceived security, that hatch back design of the Model S is much more capable. I grew up in Detroit and it was a common thing to walk out to our cars, only to find the trunk lock had been punched out and everything gone.

Gotta take one for a test ride to fullyl get what it offers. Truly remarkable cars.

The Jaguar i-Pace is also a wonderful car, but does not really compete with the larger Model S. It is closer to the new Tesla Model Y that is coming out soon. Kind of a smaller SUV. Nothing like the Buick you are used to. Biggest drawback is lower range and no access to Supercharging for long distance travel.

One point about Car Play. With a Tesla, just because your car does not come with it, there is no reason it will not get it added after you own it. Tesla has the amazing capability of Over The Air updates. This means when something new comes out from Tesla, often it will simply be added to your existing car as you sleep some evening.

With my Model X, months after delivery I received automatic headlight adjusters, automatic windshield wiper speeds, faster Falcon Wing Door activation, a reduction in 0-60 speeds of one full second, The stereo got a frequency upgrade, my basic Autopilot was upgraded of Navigation on Autopilot and got much better as well.

Compared to your Buick, the Tesla will seem like a space ship. No more pollution, no more transmission shifting, everything so automated, fewer buttons to press. When you enter your car it knows you are there and starts itself up. When you close the door and walk away it will shut itself down. So simple, even a Caveman can do it.

Never go to a smelly gas station again, no more tune ups, transmission rebuilds, air filter replacements, oil changes...the benefits are amazing.

While a trunk gives more perceived security, that hatch back design of the Model S is much more capable. I grew up in Detroit and it was a common thing to walk out to our cars, only to find the trunk lock had been punched out and everything gone.

Gotta take one for a test ride to fullyl get what it offers. Truly remarkable cars.

The Jaguar i-Pace is also a wonderful car, but does not really compete with the larger Model S. It is closer to the new Tesla Model Y that is coming out soon. Kind of a smaller SUV. Nothing like the Buick you are used to. Biggest drawback is lower range and no access to Supercharging for long distance travel.

While you bring up a good point about OTA updates, the fact Tesla has spent development efforts to integrate SMS should be a good indicator they have no immediate plans to integrate CarPlay of Android Auto. The only way I see this changing is if there is some sort of Apple-Tesla acquisition or partnership.

It seems unfortunate that the auto industry has not moved in the direction of far better mpg. I've been reading about newer cars (well, most things are newer than mine) that don't have much better mpg than what I get now. The Riviera was sort of a unique (niche?) car in its day, so just thinking that it'd be cool to replace it with something special.

I sympathize. I had a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville that I drove for about 20 years. It looked pretty good, was comfortable, was highly reliable, and... for a long time it just seemed like there was nothing to really lure me away from it. Cars weren't getting all that much better, or more efficient, or offering anything particularly new or interesting.

Now I'm very close to putting in an order for a new S Long Range, and that's exciting.

Reactions: FutureShock
@three4rd Tesla is currently the only truly capable long distance vehicle brand. Don't be tricked into buying another brand if you need a car that can easily go long distance and has abundant charging infrastructure. The other brand you mentioned does not compare favorably for road trips, range, or efficiency. Tesla's are also ranked highest in safety.

Most interesting info...thanks so much. Have to keep researching all this....but, of course, that's no substitute for actually looking at / driving one. Too bad there are no dealers real close to me.

Let's continue for a moment with a few basics. Coming from my experience with only having driven cars manufactured in the 70s, 80s, and 90s - how does one do the following on a Tesla (or something like the Jaguar I-Pace for that matter - another vehicle I'm interested in checking out): turn on the headlights, heater / defroster / a/c, cruise control, turn signals, etc. Are there no longer manually operated dash controls for stuff like that? I initially was introduced to Tesla by looking at model 3 videos - where it looks as though virtually everything is done on the screen. Close to 50 years of driving much older cars WILL indeed necessitate a paradigm shift regardless of what I buy!

Coming from your current car to any new car (ICE or EV) will seem a technical wonderland. However, the model 3 is indeed a major departure in that pretty much every non-driving control is handled on the touch screen. It takes a little getting used to, but I certainly had no trouble adapting, and I'm not as young as I once was! However, Tesla recently added voice control so in fact pretty much anything you want to do can be done just be speaking (temp control, wipers, heat seaters, navigation destination etc etc etc). Finally, lots of the things you normally worry about are fully automatic .. headlights, wipers etc.

Overall, I think the touch screen approach is actually better than most other cars, many of which have a confusing mess of some buttons and some screen-driven controls, along with pretty badly designed user-interface design. The Tesla UI is so good that its rarely mentioned on these forums (where every single tiny quirk of the car is put under the microscope).

As for cruise control, you will be blown away by Autopilot. It's still evolving, but even so it's amazing. And talking of evolving, you will get regular software updates adding new features to the car .. on average one every month or two (sometimes more). Some trivial, some amazing. Ever had a car that, overnight while sitting in the garage, suddenly has new features in the morning?

I can't comment on the Jaguar I-Pace except to say that it's apparently not been selling well at all (I've yet to see a single one on the road anywhere), and you dont have the Supercharger network that Tesla has (see below).

Now to practicalities. You will love the car .. you really will, regardless of which model. What you should consider is charging; this is really the lifestyle change thing. Some things to consider:

-- It's best if you can install a home charger. That way, you always wake up to a full "tank", and for most day-to-day stuff you will never have to THINK about "filling the car" again. It's also typically the cheapest way to charge (and in almost all cases far far cheaper than gas).

-- How much long distance driving do you do? Longer trips require a bit of planning around where to stop to charge (the car will help with this, and there are also 3rd party web sites as well). It's not a big deal, really no more than the kind of thing you do anyway .. "hmm, let's stop here for lunch" becomes "let's stop there are grab coffee for 20 mins while the car charges".

-- When comparing charging to other EVs be careful about apples to apples. If you go to some sites and look for EV charging stations you will see maps showing a vast number of charging locations. BUT many many of these are low power = slow. It's really only Tesla that have a network of high power (fast) superchargers. Other fast charger networks are being built, but they lag way behind atm.

When you take your foot off the accelerator pedal (and assuming the car is warmed up), the car immediately starts to slow down as the batteries recharge and you can basically drive the car with just the throttle. Its one of those amazing things about a Tesla. Drive one pronto.

Most interesting!! Wish there was a dealer closer to us (there are 2 - roughly
I sympathize. I had a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville that I drove for about 20 years. It looked pretty good, was comfortable, was highly reliable, and... for a long time it just seemed like there was nothing to really lure me away from it. Cars weren't getting all that much better, or more efficient, or offering anything particularly new or interesting.

Now I'm very close to putting in an order for a new S Long Range, and that's exciting.

I can relate to so much of what you're saying - especially the statement about there having been nothing that came along that "really lured me away from" our older cars or seemingly "offering anything particularly new or interesting". You pretty well nailed it. I do worry about servicing, since, as mentioned, this one service center (one of only two anywhere close to me) gets such crappy reviews. Most convenient option would be if my local garage would work on these, but bet they don't. Will find out...

Thanks again to all for the recent replies!

Since it's obvious one of my biggest concerns is service...what has been the experience of owners? I suspect this varies widely depending on location. Has anyone taken these cars to their local garages? I suspect most shy away from it due to the complexity and high voltage systems (at least that's the thought my brother expressed, who runs our family garage business).

Yes...I would most definitely have a home charger installed. That seems to be a "no brainer".

-- How much long distance driving do you do? Longer trips require a bit of planning around where to stop to charge (the car will help with this, and there are also 3rd party web sites as well). It's not a big deal, really no more than the kind of thing you do anyway .. "hmm, let's stop here for lunch" becomes "let's stop there are grab coffee for 20 mins while the car charges".

This really varies. We like long road trips every so often (as in...really long...1,000 miles+...but for those we've been doing it as a fly/drive, renting an ICE car) so as to avoid the extra few days that would be needed just to get to the general area we want to explore, and back home again. Other road trips (next in degree of length) where we use our own vehicles might average around 600-800 miles roundtrip.Then, a good many shorter hops around 60-100 miles roundtrip. Our main shopping centers (since we're rural) are about 30 miles from our house, hence the 60+ mile driving.

I wish I could address every single point that has been shared with me, but there has been so much. Quite an active forum (as in, I feel like I'm totally monopolizing the thing of late :) Please know how much I appreciate all the comments and advice. I am promising myself to test drive one. I often have occasion to consider as to whether I'll have ANY car as long as I've had the Buick? Still driving at 89 years old??? Sheesh....25 years with the Riviera? Seems impossible. Really time to move into the 21st century.

I think my biggest hangup is (at least the designated Tesla) service center availability. Not looking real great for my location.

One thing to potentially alleviate your concern about service is Mobile Service, aka “Tesla Rangers”. Mobile service can handle a majority of service needs. This photo is my car “in the shop” - right now as I type this standing in my driveway. Tesla came to my house to fix a door handle. Good thing, too - the nearest service center to me is over 2 hours away.
23D64EC9-55AF-46D4-8907-D09085CFD288.jpeg

One thing to potentially alleviate your concern about service is Mobile Service, aka “Tesla Rangers”. Mobile service can handle a majority of service needs. This photo is my car “in the shop” - right now as I type this standing in my driveway. Tesla came to my house to fix a door handle. Good thing, too - the nearest service center to me is over 2 hours away.
View attachment 501359

Did some reading on this after seeing your post. It appears this is available throughout North America and is dependent on the nature of the work needed. Has anyone here had mobile service done in PA? Would be interesting to know what types of repairs are typically done by mobile service and which aren't. Obviously any job that would require accessing the underside of the car from up on a lift would necessitate a service center appt.

So...Asheville, huh? Right along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Love the Folk Art Center. A few years ago we drove the entire Parkway, south to north, in the fall (talk about a nice road trip!). We had done all of it in '86 with the exception of the Linn Cove Viaduct - which hadn't been completed yet, so looked forward to getting back to finally drive that extra section.

Last edited: