Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering the Tesla Model S 75D - Thoughts??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a couple of folks posting here that they're currently willing to wave these if you take delivery before end of Q.

I am about to pull the trigger but am on the fence re. timing: I was initially planning on timing it to get an early Q4 delivery in order to not get an "end of q rushed through production" car, but am rethinking this now if they throw $1.2k my way. I am doubly torn because I also own TSLA and want them to hit their Q delivery numbers, but still...

Yeah, first world problems.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Thank you for your awesome suggestions.

When you take the MS for a longer drive and use a Tesla Supercharger, I hear the high amp charger gets to you like 80% charge in 20-30 mins. Is that true?

What's your experience been? Are you happy with the range for the Model S 60 that you have?

[Still reading more on the 60D being chargeable to 100%... not sure what that does to battery life... thanks for the heads up though].
No!!! The superchargers don't use the car's internal charger, they charge the battery directly.
The cars own charger is used when you're on AC power, such as at home or at some destination (hotel) which has a tesla wall charger (HPWC).
In that case the standard charger can suck 11kW max, but the upgraded charger can draw 16.5kW.
So basically, the only reason to pay for the upgraded charger is if you really need to charge fast at home (if you have a wall charger installed) or at some destination.
Usually destinations are overnight (hotel), so even the standard charger has plenty of time to fully recharge the car overnight (takes 6-8 hrs from empty, depending on battery size).
The upgraded charger would be useful if you were going to stop at a destination charger for lunch to grab some extra juice for a long trip. That's about it.

Reactions: singleview
No!!! The superchargers don't use the car's internal charger, they charge the battery directly.
The cars own charger is used when you're on AC power, such as at home or at some destination (hotel) which has a tesla wall charger (HPWC).
In that case the standard charger can suck 11kW max, but the upgraded charger can draw 16.5kW.
So basically, the only reason to pay for the upgraded charger is if you really need to charge fast at home (if you have a wall charger installed) or at some destination.
Usually destinations are overnight (hotel), so even the standard charger has plenty of time to fully recharge the car overnight (takes 6-8 hrs from empty, depending on battery size).
The upgraded charger would be useful if you were going to stop at a destination charger for lunch to grab some extra juice for a long trip. That's about it.
Sorry! Long rant, and someone else answered in 10 well-chosen words. Pays to read to the end...

Reactions: singleview