Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering trading 21 MYLR for 23 MYLR, what are the differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am tempted by the $7500 rebate and free 10k supercharging on delivery by EOY on a 23 MYLR. If I get the exact same configuration, other than resetting the Odometer to 0 and rims with zero curb rash/new tires, what other difference/upgrades/downgrades are there? I have the dots on the front fender for radar, but am not sure if the hardware is in there.

Some of that will depend on when in 2021 your car was built...Tesla doesn't do all of its changes at model year changeover...in fact they do very little at that time.

Some things off the top of my head...
1) No USS, no parking aids until they provide Vision software update (the "dots" on your car are not radar, they are ultrasonics)
2) New door trim with the wood coming along the door.
3) If car comes from Fremont a chance that it will have Matrix lights (if Austin then No and Fremont is still 50/50 although seems to be increasing in likelihood)
4) Rear cargo cover (parcel shelf)
5) Much improved suspension

Some of that will depend on when in 2021 your car was built...Tesla doesn't do all of its changes at model year changeover...in fact they do very little at that time.

Some things off the top of my head...
1) No USS, no parking aids until they provide Vision software update (the "dots" on your car are not radar, they are ultrasonics)
2) New door trim with the wood coming along the door.
3) If car comes from Fremont a chance that it will have Matrix lights (if Austin then No and Fremont is still 50/50 although seems to be increasing in likelihood)
4) Rear cargo cover (parcel shelf)
5) Much improved suspension
Thanks! Took delivery mid June 21 I believe it was a cancelled order bc I placed my order and took delivery within a week.

By much improved suspension, do you mean the ride is not jarringly rough any more, or just less jarring (like the difference between my 20” rims and 18” rim/snow tire set up? Ha!)

Last edited:
I am tempted by the $7500 rebate and free 10k supercharging on delivery by EOY on a 23 MYLR. If I get the exact same configuration, other than resetting the Odometer to 0 and rims with zero curb rash/new tires, what other difference/upgrades/downgrades are there? I have the dots on the front fender for radar, but am not sure if the hardware is in there.

Given the price increases this year on model Y, does this incentive make the new car the same price you paid on your current one? I am thinking no. Used car values have also dropped. That incentive is not going to save you money vs what you spent on your current car, making a switch like this is probably going to cost you thousands.

Upside:
  • Better suspension is an upgrade.
  • You get a trunk cover now.
  • Double pane glass.
  • Maybe new camera or new camera housing, jury is still out on this one
  • Maybe better fit/finish, depending on how good/bad your 21 is in comparison
  • You get the new trim design, wrap around wood accent thing

Downside:
  • You won't get a mobile charger, maybe you can keep the one you have?
  • You won't have any USS sensor, jury still out if there's going to be radar or what. The car will only have cameras

Maybe upgrade to a performance? Then you will really have some upside in terms of all the goodies that the MYP comes with and can see the price point as buying an P model for less than an LR. It'll be hard to find the value in trading up from your 21 to 22/23 and sticking with the same trim. You really gotta break down your personal $ and see what resetting the odometer is worth to you since that's a factor.

Doesnt a 21 Model Y have an Atom media processor as well? My wifes 2022 (picked up in march) model Y has a ryzen one. That might make some difference going forward as things get differentiated between the processors (like access to zoom in the car is right now for example).

Reactions: Threader
I am tempted by the $7500 rebate and free 10k supercharging on delivery by EOY on a 23 MYLR.
The $7,500 will cover mostly the 6.5% MN sales taxes ($70k x 6.5% = $4.5k) and registration (may be 1% or 2%) !!!
Depending how much you paid for your 21 MYLR, your mileage (if you need a new set of tires),
and have or not a not transferable option (like FSD or 'Acceleration Boost' upgrade)
this could be about a break even deal or more, also you get an additional two year warranty.

Doesnt a 21 Model Y have an Atom media processor as well? My wifes 2022 (picked up in march) model Y has a ryzen one. That might make some difference going forward as things get differentiated between the processors (like access to zoom in the car is right now for example).
2021 likely has Atom processor, single pane front door glass and lead acid instead of lithium starter battery.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin