Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, 2 months ago my emmc was changed by a swissbit. Everything worked fine. Since yesterday I have big troubles with the MCU. This week I received an update 2020.8.2, I installed it. Yesterday I drove the car, spotify did not work at all, I rebooted the mcu. It took a very long time to reboot (maybe 10min). Then it did not work well: unable to connect bluetooth, big display problems, no communication anymore with the app.
I tried to reboot, it is now black.
I pulled off the fuse, put it back. The mcu is always black.
The dashboard displays that I don't have anymore parksensors. It don't have anymore rampage. It is like my mcu is dead
What can I do ?

Contact who ever fixed it for you. There is likely an issue they should be able to resolve for you. PM me if they cant. I've seen a few cases of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
@Akikiki I have not tested so I'm not sure. I believe that with scheduled charging set that the car will no longer know the "time" and cant begin charging. I never experienced this and captured this info from many posts. Since it seems much safer to turn off scheduled when emmc is in bad shape. This is a really strange one since most the time cars charge to a very limited range. Keep in mind supercharging cars can continue to when mcu is dead, and also when tegra is out. Cert is for connectivity.

@Barry yes, dead mcu means no screen to allow you to drive your car with pin, making a really nice 100k brick. We have this listed.

@dark cloud yes, in essence you disconnected your 12v since when it died, your body controller would have lost power when the tegra was not present, and generate the signal not working state result I suspect.

@whitex 1. good question. I'm pretty sure I hear the AC kick on when the car supercharges to cool the battery, I would suspect when driving the ac would still come on if battery needs cooling. Not sure if the battery heater comes on. Would need someone to watch the CAN with teslaspy or scanmytesla to know.
2.I will also clarify the post to state tender only while mcu is out. Some people dont put mcu back in car till they get tegra back from me a week later, so tender is needed. If MCU is returned to car, DC2DC converter will use HV battery to charge the 12v as normal.

@dZeiS you should be able to get 3g, contact your emmc repair person. Since you had supercharge prior to failure, you should continue to have supercharge. App connectivity and control is gone, you have the have all the key files.

Reactions: whitex and Akikiki
Thanks for the answers @EV-Fixme
@whitex
2.I will also clarify the post to state tender only while mcu is out. Some people dont put mcu back in car till they get tegra back from me a week later, so tender is needed. If MCU is returned to car, DC2DC converter will use HV battery to charge the 12v as normal.
So has it been confirmed that DC2DC will not top off the 12V battery without the MCU? Does this mean if the MCU dies, your 12V battery is only few hours behind (that is what happens when HV is disconnected, 12V battery dies in few hours)?

Thanks for the answers @EV-Fixme

So has it been confirmed that DC2DC will not top off the 12V battery without the MCU? Does this mean if the MCU dies, your 12V battery is only few hours behind (that is what happens when HV is disconnected, 12V battery dies in few hours)?

Define MCU dead? Like someone taking a sledge hammer into the dash? Tegra with eMMC dead does not equal MCU dead... Depending on how charged up your 12V is, removing MCU from dash will leave the 12V dead usually within a few hours or maybe as long as overnight.

One of my customers continued to drive and charge his car with the eMMC dead for 6 months.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
We have a 2015 model S. 68K miles. Our screen just went black and need to replace the MCU. The eMMC is the issue.
I've done DYI repairs on our Tesla but removing the MCU is beyond me.
The SC in Berkeley CA gave option of a reconditioned MCU for $1,600 or new at $2,100. (+ tax). 1 year warranty for either.

Questions for anyone in this forum are:
Is Tesla truly recording less onto the eMMC and thus should they now last longer?
Do 'reconditioned' eMMC have all, or almost data erased? Will it be 'clean.'?
Does the MCU-2 have the larger 32Mb eMMC?
Can I insist on a MCU-2? Is it compatible with a 2015 S? (The SC couldn't answer this. He is looking into it.)
Has anyone been able to keep the old MCU? I think if I buy the new MCU, Tesla shouldn't keep my old one; there is no exchange. I assume I could use this old MCU, next time the eMMC fails.
Thanks.

Oaklander, don't be upset with your Berkeley SC but they are mistaken about the warranty. The warranty policy is written, and it overrules their understanding of it. Its one of the items on the car that has an exception to the 1 year warranty. Here it is:

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
Wall Connectors: 4 years
Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years
Vehicle Warranty

Now to the rest of your questions:
Yes, its been confirmed by 3rd party fixers that access the logs. The logging is less.
The eMMC is not reconditioned. Its a new chip and yes, its "clean". But its the same size as the old one.
No, MCU2 does not have a 32mb or 32GB eMMC. It has a 64GB eMMC although only 32GBs are used.
Yes, you can insist on MCU2, but it won't matter. So far, there's been zero reports of installation on AP1 cars.
Yes and no its compatible. Makes sense it is compatible, but with none installed to our knowledge here, the answer has to be possible but the effort required is currently unknown by the community.
Yes a few people have reported keeping the old MCU, but at a core cost of about $1,000. Tesla wants them back to refurbish them. Its not economically feasible for owners to try and keep the. Besides why would you want the entire MCU when only a small Tegra board inside that contains an even smaller eMMC chip is what's worn out? Didn't know this part? Well, that's why its not practical to pay to keep it. Keeping the entire MCU when the eMMC is bad is like asking the brake and tire shop to replace the entire rear axle because the brake shoe or pads are bad. You said, that they gave you a price for a new MCU? You better check one more time. That sounds like the would install a new screen in the replacement MCU, versus a UV refurbished screen in a replacement MCU.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
We have a 2015 model S. 68K miles. Our screen just went black and need to replace the MCU. The eMMC is the issue.
The SC in Berkeley CA gave option of a reconditioned MCU for $1,600 or new at $2,100. (+ tax). 1 year warranty for either.

Is Tesla truly recording less onto the eMMC and thus should they now last longer?
Can I insist on a MCU-2? Is it compatible with a 2015 S? (The SC couldn't answer this. He is looking into it.)
Has anyone been able to keep the old MCU? I think if I buy the new MCU, Tesla shouldn't keep my old one; there is no exchange. I assume I could use this old MCU, next time the eMMC fails.
Thanks.

Correct from @Akikiki , logging is a lot less, only when car is being driven now instead of 24x7, however its not the only thing that writes a lot. Streaming music, maps on the screen, these are additional things that write to the chip, among others. The updates will help the chip last longer.

I'm pretty sure the SC will not be able to install MCU2 into a 2015 car, as you can see Tesla had delayed AP1 cars and does not have a date posted.

In the past some people were able to keep their MCU, now it seems that it will require a core charge.

If you need help, I can put you in touch with some of my norcal customers to help you with MCU removal.

Reactions: Akikiki
I understand your question. But ask them. I did. They don't want to spend time breaking a MCU down and checking it there in at the SC. At the SC, its just a swap. And they don't want to spend time swapping something that they are going to have to spend an equal amount of time in a month or two to redo.

The screen has had the UV treatment to insure it does not have the yellow border. And the MCU has the comm board replaced so its now LTE versus 3G. I think it adds to value of the cost since they were charging $500 for that LTE upgrade separately. And 4-5 months ago the MCU repair was $2300-$2400 plus tax and labor. Now its $1300 plus tax and labor (in the U.S.)

It's still relatively expensive. Depending how much needs to be done, I will recommend our customers go to SC when it financially makes sense.

I've only seen a few mcu's have a part fail outside of the eMMC, all the failures were user caused. Trying to do things the mcu was never intended, or should have been paying more attention to what they were doing. Also a couple met hammers, guess someone had a bad day.

Thanks.

Did you consider asking for priority on the infotainment upgrade?

Wow. A part on a car wears out. That’s a new thing without precedent! Every part failure is ultimately the result of a design issue. Everything should last forever. The big, bad manufacturer should pay for everything forever, amen.

If you can find a lawyer, good luck with your case! Especially in view of fact Tesla will repair for free under warranty, or for ~$1500 out of warranty, and there are even cheaper 3rd party options.

overall, maintenance and repair costs for the average Tesla are tiny vs ICE cars. I remember taking in BMWs and never escaping without a near four figure invoice.

I’m potentially affected by this on my 2012 S. Hoping it fails in the remaining year of warranty so I get it for $200, but if I have to pay $1500 or $1300 in a couple of years, it’s not going to cause me any angst.

I agree with the general thrust of your comment ... but Tesla is certainly culpable for not going for 16 or 32 GB eMMC to protect customers from experiencing this pain/danger every 4 years or so. A non-brainer in my view.

ZMUKS, you could make an argument with someone that Tesla is culpable. But who are you going to make the argument to? I guess you mean Tesla would be culpable to someone, but for what? Parts fail. Engines, transmissions, brake pads, hoses, belts. Stuff fails. Put this in context for a minute. The eMMC that's in cars up to 2017 was designed in 2010 for Teslas. And back then the firmware was about 300MB and installed on 8GB eMMC chips.

I've been counting failed eMMCs on TM and TMC for several months. I've gone back and looked at threads covering as early as 2014 and forward. I've read probably a hundred plus threads and thousands of posts to get numbers. On both these forums, I've documented 175 failures of which 42% are 2015's. These are only those eMMC failures reported on TM and TMC forums. No numbers for replaced MCUs by Tesla. And even some/many of those fixed by Tesla were under warranty and didn't cost the owner the full replacement price. So, even if we knew the number, its going to be discounted for those fixed without costing the owner.

I try to keep in touch with the 3rd party guys out there fixing eMMCs after they fail and preemptively. I'm not naming them, but that count is closer to 1,000 My counted 175 - some were fixed by these guys, and the count is still only 1200 or so. I'm confident there's double or twice that many - maybe even more. But no hard facts. Just for my post here - let's stick with the 1200 and then double it. That's 2400 then. So bounce that 2400 against the Tesla reported cars built from 2012-2016 of 184,605. The number of replaced eMMCs is just over 1%. That's a small portion of MCUs to fail within 5 years. That number is amplified in these forums and appears to be a much bigger number than it is.

If your eMMC failed, then it hits closer to home. But its not serious enough to get someone to force Tesla to replace eMMCs especially when they already are repaired if the car is still under warranty. And the MCU is warranted for 4 years as one of the exception parts with with a longer warranty.

Reactions: MP3Mike
ZMUKS, you could make an argument with someone that Tesla is culpable. But who are you going to make the argument to? I guess you mean Tesla would be culpable to someone, but for what? Parts fail. Engines, transmissions, brake pads, hoses, belts. Stuff fails. Put this in context for a minute. The eMMC that's in cars up to 2017 was designed in 2010 for Teslas. And back then the firmware was about 300MB and installed on 8GB eMMC chips.

I've been counting failed eMMCs on TM and TMC for several months. I've gone back and looked at threads covering as early as 2014 and forward. I've read probably a hundred plus threads and thousands of posts to get numbers. On both these forums, I've documented 175 failures of which 42% are 2015's. These are only those eMMC failures reported on TM and TMC forums. No numbers for replaced MCUs by Tesla. And even some/many of those fixed by Tesla were under warranty and didn't cost the owner the full replacement price. So, even if we knew the number, its going to be discounted for those fixed without costing the owner.

I try to keep in touch with the 3rd party guys out there fixing eMMCs after they fail and preemptively. I'm not naming them, but that count is closer to 1,000 My counted 175 - some were fixed by these guys, and the count is still only 1200 or so. I'm confident there's double or twice that many - maybe even more. But no hard facts. Just for my post here - let's stick with the 1200 and then double it. That's 2400 then. So bounce that 2400 against the Tesla reported cars built from 2012-2016 of 184,605. The number of replaced eMMCs is just over 1%. That's a small portion of MCUs to fail within 5 years. That number is amplified in these forums and appears to be a much bigger number than it is.

If your eMMC failed, then it hits closer to home. But its not serious enough to get someone to force Tesla to replace eMMCs especially when they already are repaired if the car is still under warranty. And the MCU is warranted for 4 years as one of the exception parts with with a longer warranty.

There is wear and tear on many parts ... Unavoidable for brakes, tires, etc. .. and also MCU (finite write cycles). I agree up to this point. By putting in 32GB rather than 8GB eMMC you know very well the effort and cost of doing that for Tesla versus the favourable impact on all owners (just a matter of time before write cycles limit is reached ... Thus current reported cases are not a useful reference to size the issue). The same ease to extend life can't be applied to tires, brakes, etc. Obviously. I am not making the 'culpable" point in a legal sense ... But Tesla should feel/address the pain that all owners will face every 4 to 6 years. Just a matter of time!

ZMUKS, What difference does it make if you and I agree that Tesla should be using 32 or 8? Even if another 100 here or 500 here pile on our decision/agreed comment. That does not change what Tesla does. I was not trying to make a case for 32 or 8. I was just giving my two cents. And my two cents doesn't change anything.

I do respect your opinion. And I wish they would "fix it".

Did you consider asking for priority on the infotainment upgrade?

Please find below what I posted at Tesla forum ... short answer is old hardware of 2016 Model S does not give us the option of MCUv2. So we have to live with 8GB for another 4 years or so ... and then pay 1500 pounds again (if we get it done by Tesla) ... My current MCU part number is 1004777-15-K, the replacement MCU part number will be 1098050-00-G (will check if it is refurbished or new ... Will also check if capacity is still 8GB ... Plus certificates ... Plus settings e.g. VPN)

April 15, 2020
I own a 2015 Model S. A few months back MCU started showing signs of impending demise. Found out that MCUv2 upgrade is coming soon. So was hoping that MCU will last that long. But it completely went about 4 weeks ago. Via mobile app got appointment end March - but it magically disappeared ... replaced with 14th April appointment. There was no update provided as to what will happen at the appointment ... so I rang support and they said bring the car at the scheduled appointment and only then we can tell what can be done. Car is at Tesla Service Center and they are proposing "revision" MCU ... (not MCUv2 as 2015 Tesla hardware is not compatible). The only difference is 4G. New screen will be fitted and firmware updated for circa 1500 pounds. But I will be in similar position in a few years when the cheap eMMC flash memory card goes kapoot due to data logging. The information logged is pretty much useless ... it does the customer no good. These logs are also rarely downloaded by Tesla. So it seems grossly unfair that owner has to pay to fix something that is broken due to Tesla data logging. Any views please?