Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MCU just died after I tried to reboot. I was having issues connecting to the car via app, so I thought a reboot might be in order--only to find out that the MCU doesn't turn on anymore. But so far (knock on wood) I seem to be able to charge the car. My Jan 2016 Model S 70 had about 52k. Pre-facelift and AP1. Next service appointment is 3 weeks ago. Will I be able to continue to drive in the interim? Is there any risk of getting stuck someplace if I keep driving?

And it looks like the MCU2 upgrade is not yet available for my car. What are is latest on MCU1 replacement pricing or the possibility of early upgrade to MCU2 for people who have a failed MCU1? Thanks.

My MCU just died after I tried to reboot. I was having issues connecting to the car via app, so I thought a reboot might be in order--only to find out that the MCU doesn't turn on anymore. But so far (knock on wood) I seem to be able to charge the car. My Jan 2016 Model S 70 had about 52k. Pre-facelift and AP1. Next service appointment is 3 weeks ago. Will I be able to continue to drive in the interim? Is there any risk of getting stuck someplace if I keep driving?

And it looks like the MCU2 upgrade is not yet available for my car. What are is latest on MCU1 replacement pricing or the possibility of early upgrade to MCU2 for people who have a failed MCU1? Thanks.

MCU2 should definitely be available for you, I have a 2014 MS85 AP1 and after pushing I was offered MCU2 at a cost of $2600. I believe there is a cheaper fix for the tergra failure now around $600 (daughter board fix). I would ask your service center about that in an email, to document everything.

So I got a notification about an upgrade being complete (never initiated one). Then couldn't connect to the car via app at all. When I got in the car, all my settings had reset to factory defaults. I still had profiles and homelink locations though. Just had to go through my settings and turn everything back on like mobile access, driver assist features, homelink chimes, etc., and my charge limit had reverted to 90% (I always leave it at 80). Very weird.

I posted in another thread but i figured I would post here too since this thread seems to have more visibility. My 2016 90D was acting a little weird today coming back from a long road trip, the screen went blank when i got out of the car for a minute for check out a scenic overview and wouldn't turn on even though I was only out of the car for a few minutes and not long enough for it to 'sleep' and I had to do the brake+2 scroll reboot. It took a few minutes and then came back normal. Then when I was driving back home in the mountains and I lost cell service and it wouldn't come back and wouldn't draw the maps and had to do the same reboot (after I was done Supercharging since I think that breaks when your MCU dies) I just crossed the 50k mark and still have the 'Tesla used 4 car year warranty'. I am hoping to get in on the $1750 discounted upgrade to MCU2, but we'll see what happens with the delay of screens and such. "Luckily" I WFH so I dont use my car much now with COVID and I was able to make it home from our 4 day mountain trip without too much hassle from the MCU1, I scheduled an appointment with the app and gave some screenshot of the maps not rendered even though LTE service was shown.

Seems like a high number of 2015-2016 MS's at about 50k miles are starting to have issues, I wonder if there is going to be any official communication from Tesla to get out before the bad press from a potential NTSHA recall (turn signals not working) o_O

Thanks @EV-Fixme for such a informative thread. If i was out of warranty and in CA I would be driving over to your shop to get my eMMC replaced ASAP but I'm still under warranty on the east coast.

I posted in another thread but i figured I would post here too since this thread seems to have more visibility. My 2016 90D was acting a little weird today coming back from a long road trip, the screen went blank when i got out of the car for a minute for check out a scenic overview and wouldn't turn on even though I was only out of the car for a few minutes and not long enough for it to 'sleep' and I had to do the brake+2 scroll reboot. It took a few minutes and then came back normal. Then when I was driving back home in the mountains and I lost cell service and it wouldn't come back and wouldn't draw the maps and had to do the same reboot (after I was done Supercharging since I think that breaks when your MCU dies) I just crossed the 50k mark and still have the 'Tesla used 4 car year warranty'. I am hoping to get in on the $1750 discounted upgrade to MCU2, but we'll see what happens with the delay of screens and such. "Luckily" I WFH so I dont use my car much now with COVID and I was able to make it home from our 4 day mountain trip without too much hassle from the MCU1, I scheduled an appointment with the app and gave some screenshot of the maps not rendered even though LTE service was shown.

Seems like a high number of 2015-2016 MS's at about 50k miles are starting to have issues, I wonder if there is going to be any official communication from Tesla to get out before the bad press from a potential NTSHA recall (turn signals not working) o_O

Thanks @EV-Fixme for such a informative thread. If i was out of warranty and in CA I would be driving over to your shop to get my eMMC replaced ASAP but I'm still under warranty on the east coast.

No worries, but do get serviced. We may have someone to help in your area, and you may have some additional options also.

When you say "current firmware", what version are you referring to? Also, weird how (symptoms)? Just curious if there Tesla is screwing with something which might cause problems for replaced emmc's. Lastly, does that affect all replacements, or only some (maybe only ones which have enlarged the user partition for example)?

PS> I'm on 2020.24.6.11 with a 32GB emmc but original unmodified partition sizes (totaling 8GB only) and remainder of the space trimmed. So far so good (drive it earlier today). Should I be worried about updating?

Actually 2020.24.6.11, could be just more changes I need to get used to. Most seem fine, but a few cars seem to be having issues.

Our cars are basically the same. Mine is March 2016. We wouldn’t really benefit much from MCU2, so I didn’t feel it justified the 2600 price tag. Tesla was charging 1700 for an even MCU1 swap, but several have posted here 500 now that they are just swapping the Tegras. From what is sounds, many are getting pushed out weeks while waiting for the part to get to SC. I’m glad to have gone the EV fixme route. Mine also drove and could charge but I wouldn’t risk driving beyond your remaining miles just in case. And be aware of no turn signals (not that anyone uses those around here anyway...)

Reactions: EV-Fixme
Some more failing eMMC strangeness on my 2014 P85D yesterday. Had one spontaneous reboot at a SC.

Notice how the bottom trip odometer is stuck at 1582.2 miles and the Wh/m are 0s.

194195D0-237A-4203-A4C4-65B149163C48.jpeg
2C534A6B-4FEC-4128-BAD0-76B4EA89FC55.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ohmman
The database for ODO is on the eMMC, so this is can happen for sure.

Now today I'm getting "Acceleration Reduced, Contact Tesla Service when convenient" and "Car needs service Power reduced" messages.

The MCU seems to be working fine after a reboot, but the car moves really really slow, and even the brake action is greatly reduced/soft.

Could this also be eMMC failure, or something else?

EDIT TO ADD: I'm still on FW 2019.32.2.2 -- what are the risks if I try upgrading the FW with a flaky eMMC?

upload_2020-8-26_13-33-0.png

Last edited:
Now today I'm getting "Acceleration Reduced, Contact Tesla Service when convenient" and "Car needs service Power reduced" messages.

The MCU seems to be working fine after a reboot, but the car moves really really slow, and even the brake action is greatly reduced/soft.

Could this also be eMMC failure, or something else?

EDIT TO ADD: I'm still on FW 2019.32.2.2 -- what are the risks if I try upgrading the FW with a flaky eMMC?

View attachment 580938
Pure conjecture on my part, but I have a hard time seeing that being MCU related. You may be able to test that fact by rebooting the MCU and seeing if the issue temporarily goes away until the MCU comes back up. Really though, don't listen to me, there are people here who know way more than I do.

Pure conjecture on my part, but I have a hard time seeing that being MCU related. You may be able to test that fact by rebooting the MCU and seeing if the issue temporarily goes away until the MCU comes back up. Really though, don't listen to me, there are people here who know way more than I do.

I agree, but just checking with smarter people. I did reboot, but the errors remained.

I'm now part of the eMMC daughterboard replacement club. My March 2015 S 85D (which has the 2 year CPO warranty on it until May 2021) with 92k miles on it has had some issues related to the eMMC failure over the last few months. At one point a couple months ago the MCU was just continually rebooting and they fixed it in the service center temporarily, but on Saturday Aug 22nd it started rebooting continually again, so I submitted a repair request in the Tesla app on my phone and finally on Tuesday a technician contacted me and said they'd order a new daughterboard then I got an email outlining that they'd ordered the part listed as:
Parts Ordered
  1. MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED (64GB)
    Part #: 2728211-S0-A
    Order Date: August 25, 2020
This weakness in the Model S was my main concern when purchasing this vehicle and I had really hoped it would fail while I was still under warranty, so as weird as it sounds I'm really happy to be having this problem before the end of the warranty period. I'm also pleased to see that the replacement is 64GB instead of the original 8GB, but I'm not entirely sure how that'll translate to longer life span or not. Unfortunately they moved the repair appointment to the service center and not until Sep 14th (which is 3.4 weeks after I reported the issue to Tesla), so now we're limping along with a very problematic MCU for the next 2.5 weeks. Last night my wife took it out and the MCU wouldn't even finish booting before crashing again so she had no AC or stereo for the drive in 90+ degree Fahrenheit heat...1st world problems I know. Usually we get a minute or two of AC before the MCU reboots again and we don't have AC for another minute. We were planning a labor day weekend trip to a location 300 miles away and hopefully we don't have to cancel the trip. A technician is working on the car remotely right now to clear some data in an attempt to prolong the life of this eMMC chip to hopefully minimize the inconvenience over the next 2.5 weeks.

Reactions: GSP and Xenoilphobe
Data point....just got back from Tesla Dublin after the repair/replacement of the MCU and touchscreen on my wife's 2015 S70D (now 5 years 2 months after delivery @ Fremont) at 39,120 miles. Touchscreen was leaking & had bubbles, MCU was showing imminent failure (slow boot, occasional failure to boot and audio dropout). As near as I can tell, they did a full replacement of the MCU (still a MCU1, and the AM & FM radio still works). Of course all settings gone, like trip odometer, nav, bluetooth, Homelink, profiles). Here is the invoice info with the part number:

MCU.png

A bit odd--a month ago I was sent a Parts Ordered notice with a different MCU part listed as REMAN. This seems to be a different unit.

Hopefully this 'D Motherboard' will last a while.

I am in the midst of a thrash and wait with Tesla Service. I put in a Service Request end June for a failing MCU. I have been given multiple service dates at my local Dublin SC, and each has come & gone as I have been waiting for a new touchscreen & MCU (not only is the MCU failing but the touchscreen is developing bubbles). I originally had this part on order (which has been listed as 'Pending' for a while now):

MCU, MDLSX, NA, PREMIUM, REMAN #1098010-99-H

plus ANTENNA, BLUETOOTH #1052393-00-B

So at the last rescheduling of the appointment a couple of days ago (now end August), the parts order was updated to:

3G NA MS Tegra MCU W-D Motherboard #1004740-10-A

which to my eye looks like a 'downgrade' to just the Tegra board.

FWIW the estimate work order for the repair with just the Tegra board shows a price of $950 for the Tegra plus a couple of jumper cables (BT, rear view camera).

So I updated my Service Request on my app and listed all of the issues with changing parts and the need for a new touchscreen and Tegra (i.e. a full MCU).

News later....

I've been waiting on parts for an MCU for nearly 2 months. Today I was finally offered a remanufactured part 1004740-10-A. In the parts catalog it appears to be the entire MCU. Does anyone know the difference between the 'B' motherboard (1004740-00-A) and the 'D' motherboard? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 4.02.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 4.02.37 PM.png
    664.1 KB · Views: 78
Data point....just got back from Tesla Dublin after the repair/replacement of the MCU and touchscreen on my wife's 2015 S70D (now 5 years 2 months after delivery @ Fremont) at 39,120 miles. Touchscreen was leaking & had bubbles, MCU was showing imminent failure (slow boot, occasional failure to boot and audio dropout). As near as I can tell, they did a full replacement of the MCU (still a MCU1, and the AM & FM radio still works). Of course all settings gone, like trip odometer, nav, bluetooth, Homelink, profiles). Here is the invoice info with the part number:

View attachment 581002

A bit odd--a month ago I was sent a Parts Ordered notice with a different MCU part listed as REMAN. This seems to be a different unit.

Hopefully this 'D Motherboard' will last a while.

The parts catalog lists that part as a reman part.