Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Service Center doesn't appear to have ordered one for my repair (appointment tomorrow AM), but said they'd replace just that if necessary. So either they have some in stock, or they'll perform some kind of diagnostic on the car and tell me to bring it back. If the latter, I'll be pretty annoyed.
...aaand they just canceled my appointment because they are "waiting on parts." Suggested I try to reschedule it after 8/24, but the first available appointment is 9/2. I think I'm going to demand they take the car tomorrow and give me a loaner, because I've had a broken car since July 2nd at this point.

Yes I can ssh in. What and where am i looking for in the logs?

I'd start by just tailing the syslog and seeing if you notice any connection errors, cert errors, permission errors, etc:

Code:
tail -f /var/log/syslog

Perhaps just grep for "error" and see what comes up...

You can increase the log verbosity if you're not seeing anything useful:
Code:
sdv GUI_logSeverity Debug

Also, while you're in there, fix your APN if you haven't already. You should just be able to set the file contents of /home/tesla/.Tesla/car/cell_apn to the correct APN for your SIM/region.

I'd start by just tailing the syslog and seeing if you notice any connection errors, cert errors, permission errors, etc:

Code:
tail -f /var/log/syslog

Perhaps just grep for "error" and see what comes up...

You can increase the log verbosity if you're not seeing anything useful:
Code:
sdv GUI_logSeverity Debug

Also, while you're in there, fix your APN if you haven't already. You should just be able to set the file contents of /home/tesla/.Tesla/car/cell_apn to the correct APN for your SIM/region.

Thanks, I will check and report back.

Is there a way to factory-reset the MCU via SSH or Telnet? Also, can I dump the whole eMMC image via ssh/telnet? If yes, do I need to put the MCU in a special mode for that?

I also heard about the USB port on the Logicboard, can I do the upper via this port somehow?

Hi, I have had exakt this problem on a emmc change where the squash fs had read issues, best solution is to source a new image of 2020.24.6.11, put it on a usbdrive and connect to one of the ports in car, then ssh in and dd the fresh image onto the active p1/p2 and reboot mcu, will come right up after that.

I also had the problem with factory reset authorization and no app.

Thanks, I will check and report back.

Is there a way to factory-reset the MCU via SSH or Telnet? Also, can I dump the whole eMMC image via ssh/telnet? If yes, do I need to put the MCU in a special mode for that?

I also heard about the USB port on the Logicboard, can I do the upper via this port somehow?

I saw people read the eMMC image from the untouched Tegra board in a prepared MCU via ethernet or USB. Can somebody give me a hint on that?

EDIT: Okay stupid me didnt think further. I should be able to SSH in with the original MCU password (tesla1) and dump those files. BUT, problem is: Our spare MCU came with the emmc desoldered and tossed, so we dont have those credentials for it. Is there a way to retrieve them from the MCU itself?

Last edited:
Hi, I have had exakt this problem on a emmc change where the squash fs had read issues, best solution is to source a new image of 2020.24.6.11, put it on a usbdrive and connect to one of the ports in car, then ssh in and dd the fresh image onto the active p1/p2 and reboot mcu, will come right up after that.

I also had the problem with factory reset authorization and no app.

Well but I did build the new eMMC image with a stock image of 2020.24.6.11, not the original customer partition. Did you copy over p4 when it didn't work?

@baird329, I think I did a poor job of clearly explaining what I wanted from the sticker. It was not the battery manufacture date. I was asking about the car's build date. Its on a sticker on the driver side door opening. The sticker does not state build date. The build date has no label. Its on its upper corner, format mm/yy.

@baird329, Can you share your car's build date and your mileage, please?
@Akikiki build date is 06/16. I have 47k miles on it. The MCU was completely dead -- turn signal completely out.

@EV-Fixme and Kyle offered to help when I talked with them -- Thanks! But since my appointment was just a week away, I decided to go with Tesla. And Telsa agreed to cover it with warranty (several weeks past) during the service. They first tried to repair the MCU for about 10 days, but ended up replacing it.

@baird329, Thank you so much. Wow, warranty. That's great. And your time was great. You got the newer/better eMMC chip this time of year. Hope you got a loaner while they kept your car for 10 days.
Thanks... I think I'm lucky.... the original quote was $12xx. Then I argued this is a quite common issue, plus this could have been exposed within warranty period if there had been no COVID19 SIP.

And yes, they did give me a loaner car during the half month service. There was another half month wait for appointment though.

Likely depends on who is doing the work... I generally turn tegras around within 48-72hours of receiving them, but do also offer an expedited (within 24hrs of receipt option, often same day).

So, using expedited service + next day shipping: take your tegra out and ship it on a Monday, I get it Tuesday, ship it back to you Wednesday and you receive/re-install on Thursday.

If you’re local and don’t need to ship I can usually provide same day service.

I always turn around eMMC refurbs the same day. I'm in San Francisco. If you bring the tegra board to me I'll do it in 30 minutes while you wait, as long as I have the matching software image on file. If not then I need your instrument cluster to copy the image out of, add 15 more minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Greenms60
I have a friend in Austin who just had a daughterboard replacement done. $450 and he said the SC told him it was a 64GB chip. I had him send me the part number, attached here.

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 11.49.08 AM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Welp, add me to the list of failed MCU1 owners.

My 2015 S90D has not been functional for nearly a month now. I haven't been able to drive or use it at all. I initially sent in a mobile service request and then that got canceled and rescheduled to service center. But nobody really told me anything and I was unable to get a hold of anyone to talk to. I haven't been able to call the service center and speak to anyone anymore.

So earlier this week on Monday after the service center appt mishap (which i wasn't able to get to because car isn't drivable) I called roadside service and they towed it to the service center. They say it will need a daughterboard replacement. They say it's only going to take about a week for the part. I'm doubtful of that but we'll see I guess.

Is it worth it to get MCU2? This fix should be covered under warranty so it shouldn't cost anything.
Since I don't have AP2, is it even worth it to get MCU2?

Anyone know if the MCU1 failure under warranty is eligible for the reduced MCU2 replacement price?

Took my SC just under two weeks to get the part and install a new MCU1. Mine was dead so no settings were transferred but everything seems to work again.

I had the extended warranty and this, minus $200, covered the replacement. They fixed a few little things I asked for. Overall, happy to have our X back. I had a loaner X75 the entire time. Glad not to be speed limited and in Chill mode any more :)

Reactions: GSP and ohmman
Welp, add me to the list of failed MCU1 owners.

My 2015 S90D has not been functional for nearly a month now. I haven't been able to drive or use it at all. I initially sent in a mobile service request and then that got canceled and rescheduled to service center. But nobody really told me anything and I was unable to get a hold of anyone to talk to. I haven't been able to call the service center and speak to anyone anymore.

So earlier this week on Monday after the service center appt mishap (which i wasn't able to get to because car isn't drivable) I called roadside service and they towed it to the service center. They say it will need a daughterboard replacement. They say it's only going to take about a week for the part. I'm doubtful of that but we'll see I guess.

Is it worth it to get MCU2? This fix should be covered under warranty so it shouldn't cost anything.
Since I don't have AP2, is it even worth it to get MCU2?

Anyone know if the MCU1 failure under warranty is eligible for the reduced MCU2 replacement price?

if you want the game features of Mcu2 and the additional speed. There is a higher cost and you loose radio. So depend how important the extra cost is to you. A repaired mcu1 does the job as good as a new mcu1. Maybe even a little better.