Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any of the California is repair guys willing to drive to fresno for a chip upgrade? 2016 model x p90d screen went black at 51,000 miles and 3 weeks out of warranty.

I would (nicely) push Tesla to consider this under warranty, especially given how common this has become. Also, if you were having ANY symptoms prior to 3 weeks ago, it would help your case.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911 and GSP
Sold my 2016 S75... Did a factory reset before new owner drove the car 7hrs back home. Then new owner text me pic below hours later. I never had this happen the whole time I owned the car.

Anyone had this happen to them before after factory reset? Is this a sign that MCU failing?... It won't go away even after a few reboots.

mcu2.jpg

Last edited:
Sold my 2016 S75... Did a factory reset before new owner drove the car 7hrs back home. Then new owner text me pic below hours later. I never had this happen the whole time I owned the car.

Anyone had this happen to them before after factory reset? Is this a sign that MCU failing?... It won't go away even after a few reboots.

View attachment 581925

Any of the other signs listed in 1st post? All the information is consolidated there. 2016 ones are often failing now. They can schedule an appointment and wait a few weeks or more, or we can help them in as little as a few hours.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Now today I'm getting "Acceleration Reduced, Contact Tesla Service when convenient" and "Car needs service Power reduced" messages.

The MCU seems to be working fine after a reboot, but the car moves really really slow, and even the brake action is greatly reduced/soft.

Could this also be eMMC failure, or something else?

EDIT TO ADD: I'm still on FW 2019.32.2.2 -- what are the risks if I try upgrading the FW with a flaky eMMC?

View attachment 580938

Upgrading with a flakey eMMC has a high chance the mcu will black during the upgrade, leaving the car in a mismatched state and needed an additional redeployment to fix it once the mcu is repaired or replaced.

Any of the other signs listed in 1st post? All the information is consolidated there. 2016 ones are often failing now. They can schedule an appointment and wait a few weeks or more, or we can help them in as little as a few hours.

I recall some time last year my mcu rebooting on its own. But I thought that was just because of an update. Also my wife told me once she had to reboot the mcu because the screen was frozen. That was also some time ago, not sure when. Besides those couple things, the MCU has been working consistent for the past 4 years. But the car is still under the extended warranty. Advised the new owner to take it in.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
Upgrading with a flakey eMMC has a high chance the mcu will black during the upgrade, leaving the car in a mismatched state and needed an additional redeployment to fix it once the mcu is repaired or replaced.

View attachment 581925
I am getting multicolored lines at top and bottom like that. Went away with a reboot a couple weeks ago, now back yesterday.
I have had mcu issues too, last few weeks. Contacting Tesla after I compile notes and pix this weekend. In warranty till May.
May 2017 facelift S.

Thanks. Since the car is in this brutal limp mode, I'm going to have it towed to the SC on Monday. Also, since I didn't update the FW before the VPN change deadline in May, it won't even give me the option to do a FW update. The SC will have to do that. I'm hoping that between the eMMC failing and the FW not being updated since 2019.32.2.2, that that is the source of the 'power reduced' errors.

• Informative
I'm now part of the eMMC daughterboard replacement club. My March 2015 S 85D (which has the 2 year CPO warranty on it until May 2021) with 92k miles on it has had some issues related to the eMMC failure over the last few months. At one point a couple months ago the MCU was just continually rebooting and they fixed it in the service center temporarily, but on Saturday Aug 22nd it started rebooting continually again, so I submitted a repair request in the Tesla app on my phone and finally on Tuesday a technician contacted me and said they'd order a new daughterboard then I got an email outlining that they'd ordered the part listed as:
Parts Ordered
  1. MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED (64GB)
    Part #: 2728211-S0-A
    Order Date: August 25, 2020
This weakness in the Model S was my main concern when purchasing this vehicle and I had really hoped it would fail while I was still under warranty, so as weird as it sounds I'm really happy to be having this problem before the end of the warranty period. I'm also pleased to see that the replacement is 64GB instead of the original 8GB, but I'm not entirely sure how that'll translate to longer life span or not. Unfortunately they moved the repair appointment to the service center and not until Sep 14th (which is 3.4 weeks after I reported the issue to Tesla), so now we're limping along with a very problematic MCU for the next 2.5 weeks. Last night my wife took it out and the MCU wouldn't even finish booting before crashing again so she had no AC or stereo for the drive in 90+ degree Fahrenheit heat...1st world problems I know. Usually we get a minute or two of AC before the MCU reboots again and we don't have AC for another minute. We were planning a labor day weekend trip to a location 300 miles away and hopefully we don't have to cancel the trip. A technician is working on the car remotely right now to clear some data in an attempt to prolong the life of this eMMC chip to hopefully minimize the inconvenience over the next 2.5 weeks.

Did I read this correctly - they provide a 64GB updated Tegraboard?. If that's the case I'm going to have Tesla do the swap....

Did I read this correctly - they provide a 64GB updated Tegraboard?. If that's the case I'm going to have Tesla do the swap....
Should I ask if I can upgrade to mcu2 and get a discount on my under warranty mcu1?

• Funny
I wonder about EAS notifications.

I contracted as broadcast engineer, and EAS was always a priority for coverage and reliability for TV and radio alerts. In bad weather I always had a station on. (Or to make sure my studio stuff was working).

Can't you get alerts over your cell phone? Ever try WeatherBug?
if the cell tower isn't blown over or burning, and the battery isn't dying, and I haven't agreed to the multi page EULA of the app or you have to watch ads, .

A radio is receive only, doesn't send where you are, what shirts you wear or what you are up to.

The stream on the stations I did did not put EAS over the stream. I'm sure a listener in Germany doesn't need to duck and cover for a tornado alert here.

P.S. I tried reading the "privacy policy" of weatherbug. good luck

P.P.S. At least give a phone plug input to the audio system with the mcu2 upgrade.
Ideally access to the not used diversity antennas so you run a radio of your choice from a cup holder. That would be more involved than Space X technology, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: gaswalla
In my mind if you have a car that is out of warranty there is at least one advantage to keeping the MCU1, third party support. WK057 doesn't like messing with MCU2 yet, so if you want him to upgrade a pack then you might be limited or prevented if you have MCU2. I am not thinking this is a permanent thing, but something to keep in mind for the near future. MCU2 is obviously the future, but something to consider at least in the short term.

My appointment for daughterboard replacement is this morning. I went out to try to drive to the SC, but the car won't start. In the past, when I had this issue, I would reset the MCU (which I recognize is already black) by holding both scroll wheels, get in and out of the car and when I'd press the brake again, it would say "please wait for systems to power up." I couldn't get it to do that again this morning.

I tried a number of things (hard reset with brake, IC reset, etc) to no avail and just called for Roadside Assistance to come pick the thing up.

Really frustrating.

EDIT: I was quoted $350 for a tow so I went ahead and tried a 12V reset. That worked and I’m about to head over now. In case anyone else has the same issue.

Last edited: