Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Consumer Reports" Again Makes The Tesla Model S Its Top Car Pick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the model S is not a luxury car so it can't win that class. Been hashed out many times already...

So it has, but it still is a veritable question to be discussed over and over again. Why isn't Model S a luxury car - especially when the A6 is supposed to be one, according to CR?
The Model S is far more expensive than an A6 (even more expensive than quite a few S-Class, A8 or 7-series models), it is just as large, has very similar tech and lux features. What makes the A6 more of a luxury car than Model S? The (questionable) "luxury" of more range?

- - - Updated - - -

You mean once a model has won any category (A) it is automatically demoted to being ranked lower than all other cars in other categories (X) that were also nominated for category A?

Seems like this would skew the results quite heavily. Makes it less fair, not more.

+1 Completely agree. Strange way of measuring.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd guess it was the lack of range factor. If you can't do a full commute without a charge...

If that was the reason, then why didn't the i3 win that category, or even the e-Golf? Both have more range than the Leaf, and the i3 with REx should outperform and "outrange" the Prius under real-world conditions anyway.

Seems CR is very Japanese oriented.

If that was the reason, then why didn't the i3 win that category, or even the e-Golf? Both have more range than the Leaf, and the i3 with REx should outperform and "outrange" the Prius under real-world conditions anyway.

Seems CR is very Japanese oriented.

Actually American cars did well this year. Watch the Consumer reports video on this. They discuss why cars won. The S class has had terrible reliability. If I remember correctly, the BMW i3 is too new. Cars without a reliability record are excluded from winning. Cars must have at least average reliability to be considered.

I've never really had a lot of faith in CR's autos ratings, although it certainly is a feather in Tesla's cap. It seems to be heavily biased on owners/reviewers opinion rather than fact. I recall years ago seeing completely different reliability ratings for many "badge engineered" cars like the Plymouth Caravelle/Dodge 600. The only difference between these two cars was based on the badge that was slapped on the back as it came down the line, so how on earth could they have different reliability ratings???

As a MS S85 owner and long time CR subscriber, this issue SUCKED. I appreciate what CR does, but there sure are some screwy parts in this issue.

Tesla was ranked best overall, so:

1) Why was Tesla omitted from the Best and Worst Car Brands. At least mention why!
2) Detroit wakes up??? 3 US Car Makers make our Top Picks. They mention the Tesla, but nothing else in the body of the article. 'Detroit vs Palo Alto' We already know the Michigan car lobby anbd Republican Governor are anti Tesla.
3) In the Green Car section, it doesn't mention the greenest cars, and specifically 'excluding electrics and plug-in hybrids...", Sure is confusing.... why exclude the greenest cars?
4) Total absence from the article on 'The Cars That Can Save Your Life'. 5-star rating in all classes, and most of the crash avoidance features are in place or coming for the harware-installed MS. No Mention in the Safest Cars On The Road sidebar.
5) Sure, the 'Infotainment Revolution' has a full page picture and arrow descriptions of the Tesla 17" Display, yet nothing in the article. Marked as lower than average in the rating section, but nothing on the highs and lows. I'm interested because I've had no problems with my 2014 MS infotainment sysem, and it beats the heck out of my wife's Ford C-Max Hybrid's infotainment system.
6) In the profiles section, it states the car can travel between 180 and 225 miles per charge. Sure, at higher speeds, but what about at 55 - 65mph? How about mentioning the fast rate of free Superchargers?
7) I'm confused about 'Average' reliability rating. As far as the 2014 vehicles,
2014 Buick Regal - 3 average and 1 below average, and received a 2014 better than average Used Car Verdict and better than average 2014 New Car Prediction
2014 Tesla Model S - 2 average and 1 below average and received an 2014 average Used Car Verdict and an average 2014 New Car Prediction

I also agree that CR seems to have omitted mentioning or rating Tesla's on certain features, oversight or by design?

Remembering that the 99 rating comes from owners, and the number crunching should stand up to scrutiny, it doesn't make me a proud CR subscriber.

Scotty

The S class has had terrible reliability. If I remember correctly, the BMW i3 is too new. Cars without a reliability record are excluded from winning.

The S class has terrible reliability? Yeah, right. Strange that the Dekra used car report (which is based on the results of the official and mandatory technical tests/assessments each car in Germany has to master every two years in order to be road-legal) mentions a very high reliability rating for the S class, even those with very high mileages. Then again, as I understood it, CR takes customer feedback into account quite heaviliy, even though such feedback can be highly subjective. I rather trust proven facts myself, but to each his own.
Make no mistake, I am not even in the market for an S class, but I don't like misleading information, especially coming from an organisation that is supposed to be trustworthy, like CR.

Plus, Scotty raises some more very valid questions, especially when it comes to the Green car section.

Last edited:
3) The A6 a "luxury car"? The A6 is in the category "upper middle class" over here. Like the 5-series or E-Class. Luxury car is A8, S-Class, 7-series, etc.
Yes. Different market, different positioning. Apart from pure brand positioning (even VW in the U.S. is considered somewhat upmarket) A6's sold here tend to be more heavily optioned than those sold in .de. You'd be hard-pressed to find one without Quattro, leather, and a pile of other options included. Also, the smaller engines aren't even sent here at all.

The CR people also did directly address your "really, a Chevy?" question. They basically said "yes, a Chevy, no really, try it". I admit I'm skeptical too, but they didn't ignore the question.

Here is the video: Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #62: 2015 Top Picks - YouTube

Interesting comments at 5 minutes (decreasing BMW 3 series reliability), 14:30 (I3 no reliability data yet), 16:16 (like Mercedes C class but no reliability date), 16:20 (comment about Mercedes reliability when launching new models). When talking about S class reliability they are specifically talking about the launch of the redesigned S class.

The S class has terrible reliability? Yeah, right. Strange that the Dekra used car report (which is based on the results of the official and mandatory technical tests/assessments each car in Germany has to master every two years in order to be road-legal) mentions a very high reliability rating for the S class, even those with very high mileages. Then again, as I understood it, CR takes customer feedback into account quite heaviliy, even though such feedback can be highly subjective. I rather trust proven facts myself, but to each his own.
Make no mistake, I am not even in the market for an S class, but I don't like misleading information, especially coming from an organisation that is supposed to be trustworthy, like CR.

Plus, Scotty raises some more very valid questions, especially when it comes to the Green car section.

trils0n,

You're right. It does say that there needs to be at least 2 modesl that are rated in reliability and owner satisfaction. 2 of the 5 Range Rovers are rated in satisfaction, the Land Rover Rane Rover Sport being rated above average in satisfaction. I question why there's no reliability rating, when they're reporting owners are reporting they are more than satisfied with the car.

I guess I also don't really see why they discount the Roadster. Sure, it was more of a proof of concept car, and maybe the ratings won't be as high. Sure, they haven't sold the Roadster in several years, but the cover of the issue says:

2015 Annual Auto Issue
Best and Worse
New Cars - Used Cars - Reliability - Tires

I like CR, and I like their objectivity. Bothers me though, when I see a little less objectivity.

Maybe the P-series of Tesla should be labeled the Model SP

Scotty