Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports is wrong about future reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think CR is being unreasonable. IMHO they are the least biased "review" source you could imagine. This will help light a fire under Tesla--I think they've probably become a little too comfortable with the past few years of mostly rave reviews.

For the good of Tesla's future, let's just all hope that this spurs them to improve their build quality, fix any remaining design or manufacturing niggles, and climb up the reliability ladder again. They've already shown the product itself is superior. If they can climb the reliability and quality metrics, they'll be unstoppable.

While my Model S (2014) has never let me down/stranded, there have been and are several issues. But I'm not sure what would be considered a reliability issue. A dash that rattles and makes noises isn't reliability. It is just poor quality. Having to replace my DU 5 times now is a quality issue. The car drives, it's reliable. There are issues though.
Not recommending the entire car because of small issues that Tesla fixes for free is a little too harsh IMHO.

I would say first, their methods for measuring quality with the Model S wasn't changed from their normal testing, so all things being equal, it is what it is...

Secondly, and this is just some food for thought, on this site, the Model S buyer seems to be quite critical of Tesla. There is LOT of complaining about the methods for their communication; delivery of updates; reliability of the car; squeaks, rattles, cost of maintenance, on time delivery of promises; conspiracy theories.....this list goes on. That isn't me being critical of the users - I love the content; keep it coming!!! I guess what I'm pointing out, is it would be HIGHLY inconsistent to me, if Tesla didn't see that bleed over in a much more pronounced fashion with the sample for Consumer Reports. This site is supposed to be largely populated with enthusiasts for the brand (and the occasional troll), so imagine that much more complaining with those of us not on this site to begin with.

I love my car...There are some things that I don't like for sure and some constructive thinking on this site on how to make it better. Lets not kid ourselves and think that this review was flawed. Its an opportunity for Tesla to take this as a chance to focus in areas of customer unrest.

Last edited:
If the CR's definition of reliability is that everything works perfectly every time then I've had 3 instances (drivetrain whine too loud, driver seat popping clicking, charge port malfunction) which required a service visit.

My definition of reliability is that the car will not leave me wanting or stranded (I know that has happened to some, but Tesla has responded quickly and provides an equal or better Model S when available or ICE loaner). It has not done that to me, nor has it materially inconvenienced me or left me feeling that the car is less valuable than when it was brand new. In fact I would say the opposite. The car has actually become more valuable with software upgrades.

So with all of that in mind I'd say the reliability is not only more than I expected, but significantly higher. This is comparative to either the Audi A7 or Honda Odyssey Touring I would have bought. Either one of those cars would have, by comparison, offered less overall reliability as it would more often materially inconvenienced me by design as it requires more maintenance as well as requiring frequent visits to gas stations. And yes, those items are very inconveniencing to me.

The "below average" reliability rating is based on early year Model S's.
No, they got results from all 3 model years. Please read the first few paragraphs of Car Reliability History | Detailed Ratings - Consumer Reports and then Consumer Reports reliability of Model S - worse than average - Page 14.
The logic used by Consumer Reports here is simply wrong. It is one thing if a 100 year old car company making the same product with minor iterations produces a car with "below average" reliability.
How long a company has been building cars does not and should not give any given car company a handicap/advantage over another.

Honda's been building cars for a LOT less time than GM, yet overall Honda reliability is far better. CR does not give Honda a lower "average"/lower bar to pass just because they've been doing it for many decades less. Nor, do they give GM a higher bar because they've been doing it for over a century.

- - - Updated - - -

If the CR's definition of reliability is that everything works perfectly every time then I've had 3 instances (drivetrain whine too loud, driver seat popping clicking, charge port malfunction) which required a service visit.

My definition of reliability is that the car will not leave me wanting or stranded
The latter is not CR's definition. See Car Reliability History | Detailed Ratings - Consumer Reports.

Ugh. CR is just completely wrong. Long time reader on this board but not a frequent contributor - but I feel I need to write something.

I have an early build car (3k VIN series or "classic" or "manual," if you will) and it has been flawless. A couple little issues that were all cleared by a ranger or remotely. Funny that CR called me on the phone about reliability etc, and the person interviewing was clearly told to find flaws as they pressed me on ridiculous matters (the auto lift gate had a funny clicking sound and tire pressure monitoring was a slight problem with warnings because incompatible sensors).

This whole situation with CR just smells funny. Highest rated car ever and then pull the rating because of some unsubstantiated quality issues (made a request today of the data and no response yet). There is a lack of impartialness that is completely exposed at this point. The interview I had was a joke and it was clear they were looking to artificially exacerbate flaws. Conspiracy theories be damned, but in this case something is just not adding up. All of us that actually own these cars and drive them day to day need to be more vocal. CR is BS at this point. They do not understand this car or this industry. IF X+ percent of us are happy with the vehicle even if there are required repairs, then the CR polling is ridiculously flawed.

Stop going back and forth in this forum, and target CR instead. Tell them that they need to be more fair, and expose their criteria for ratings.

What can I say, since taking delivery in March last year, I've probably been to the SC ten times for problems, maybe more. I'm on my 3rd DU (as of yesterday) and my pano roof has been a constant source of issues.

But to balance this, I consider myself an early adopter and I knew what I was getting into. I expected to get issues and although perhaps I got more than I would have liked, the way that Tesla service look after you is just amazing. I mean other than the inconvenience of taking the car there, it's an absolute pleasure. Not to mention that every time I go there, they seem to pro-actively fix something I was completely unaware of and always under warranty.

However, I understand that this model will not work as volumes ramp-up, but I assume the newer cars are that much better and they improve with everyone that comes off production. I hope...

Ugh. CR is just completely wrong.
This whole situation with CR just smells funny. Highest rated car ever and then pull the rating because of some unsubstantiated quality issues (made a request today of the data and no response yet). There is a lack of impartialness that is completely exposed at this point.
How is it "wrong" and how are the quality issues "unsubstantiated"? They had 1400 responses for the Model S in the reliability survey.

We've already seen time and time again certain problem spots such as drive units that develop noise and get replaced, door handle problems, etc. Motor/transaxle replacements on Leafs (in comparison) are almost unheard of despite a far larger Leafs population of Leafs that has also been on the road years longer than the S. I'm active on MNL and have never heard of a Leaf that required as many repairs as Edmunds' did at 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Wrap-Up | Edmunds.com.

This is TOTALLY separate from their testing (which you refer to in "highest rated car ever", which is true). See Consumer Reports Car Test Center - Â*Consumer Reports.

They've gushed over many times (in their magazine, on their site, in their videos) and love the car. And, such, they recommended the car when it still had a average reliability rating or better. It doesn't anymore, so no more recommendation, as that's one of the requirements.

That doesn't change their test score, which is excellent.
CR is BS at this point. They do not understand this car or this industry. IF X+ percent of us are happy with the vehicle even if there are required repairs, then the CR polling is ridiculously flawed.

Stop going back and forth in this forum, and target CR instead. Tell them that they need to be more fair, and expose their criteria for ratings.
They understand the industry. They've been testing cars since 1936, it seems like per Consumer Reports History 1930s - 2000s . Consumer Reports History of Reliability | Years of Reliability Surveys - Consumer Reports says

Consumer Reports published its first reliability chart in 1952, based on responses from 50,000 subscribers. The survey, conducted by a third-party organization, covered most major brands sold in the U.S. at the time, including Nash, Packard, and Rambler.

The chart expanded from 35 different models in 1963 and to 44 cars in 1967.

In 1972, we took the survey in-house, and have since consistently published automotive reliability surveys for our readers, making ours the oldest vehicle-reliability survey of its kind. The results contained reliability history charts showing which cars required more than average repairs in different problem areas. (In more recent surveys, we ask about problems, not repairs.)

You're confusing owner satisfaction with reliability. Owner satisfaction scores for the Model S are excellent. Reliability is not.

Tesla Reliability Doesn’t Match Its High Performance - Consumer Reports even says
Despite the problems, our data show that Tesla owner satisfaction is still very high: Ninety-seven percent of owners said they would definitely buy their car again. It appears that Tesla has been responsive to replacing faulty motors, differentials, brakes, and infotainment systems, all with a minimum of fuss to owners.

Tesla Model S Tops Consumer Reports Customer Satisfaction Index, Again - 98% said yes
Consumer Reports Says Tesla Model S Customer Satisfaction Highest - 99% said yes

It would be completely wrong and dishonest to inflate reliability scores or give any car or company a free pass on reliability just because owner satisfaction scores are high.

Please read Car Reliability History | Detailed Ratings - Consumer Reports AND Car Reliability FAQ | Answers to Reliability Questions - Consumer Reports

Why target CR? You want to target them because you don't like the ratings and are confusing multiple issues.

Again, 3 separate things done separately by CR, reported separately, and how the S did:
- car evaluation: Consumer Reports Car Test Center - Â*Consumer Reports - excellent
- reliability survey of car owners/lessees who subscribe to CR - worse than average
- car owner satisfaction survey (same set of people as above) - excellent

If we NEVER or almost never heard of issues here w/drive units, door handles, squeaks, rattles, leaks, car shutting down and being undriveable due to some failure (e.g. contactor or DU), head unit/touchscreen unit and then suddenly we see the problems in CR reliability ratings in those areas, then you could say something. But in fact, drive system, body integrity, body hardware, power equipment and audio system appear to be problems.

Their definitions from http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/reliability-histories/index.htm:
DRIVE SYSTEM: Driveshaft or axle, CV joint, differential, transfer case, 4WD/AWD components, driveline vibration, traction control, electronic stability control (ESC), electrical failure.
BODY INTEGRITY (noises & leaks): Squeaks, rattles, wind noises, loose or cracked seals and/or weather-stripping, air and water leaks.

BODY HARDWARE: Power or manual windows, locks and latches, tailgate, hatch or trunk, doors or sliding doors, mirrors, seat controls, safety belts, sunroof, convertible top.

POWER EQUIPMENT AND ACCESSORIES: Cruise control, clock, warning lights, body control module, keyless entry, wiper motor or washer, tire pressure monitor, interior or exterior lights, horn, gauges, 12V power plug, remote engine start, alarm or security system

AUDIO SYSTEM (in-car electronics): CD or DVD players, radio, speakers, GPS, communication system (e.g., OnStar), infotainment system with integrated controls (e.g., MyFord Touch, Cadillac CUE, HondaLink), Bluetooth pairing, portable music device interface (e.g., iPod/MP3 player), backup or other camera/sensors.

Last edited:
What's amazing is that it's above so many other brands, not that it's "below average". And yes I don't think Consumer reports understands manufacturing.

Exactly.

It's amazing that a brand new design could be as good as it is. Volume manufacturing of ANYTHING completely new is incredibly difficult to get perfect; bizarre and unforeseen problems reliably crop up in both the design and manufacturing processes of even the simplest things. That's why virtually all "new" model cars out there recycle most of their components from prior designs - a luxury Tesla simply doesn't have.

Even with this knock I still give Tesla a LOT of credit. And for what it's worth I haven't had a single problem with my late 2014.

It's how Consumer Reports works.

Every time a new model comes out they guess by looking at manufacturer track record.
Every time a new iteration of a model comes out they guess by looking at the previous iteration.
Every time a new year of model comes out they guess by looking at the previous years.

Normal people do exactly the same thing when buying a new car, because they have to. If you're buying a used car, then you have actual data to go on.

Exactly.

It's amazing that a brand new design could be as good as it is. Volume manufacturing of ANYTHING completely new is incredibly difficult to get perfect; bizarre and unforeseen problems reliably crop up in both the design and manufacturing processes of even the simplest things. That's why virtually all "new" model cars out there recycle most of their components from prior designs - a luxury Tesla simply doesn't have.

Even with this knock I still give Tesla a LOT of credit. And for what it's worth I haven't had a single problem with my late 2014.

I think we all agree that Model S is absolutely THE best car that can be bought and that Tesla have done an amazing job. But the fact remains that there are continuing quality issues, which are totally disassociated from the car being fabulous in itself.

It's not a knock either, it's one of the best things CR could have done for Tesla. If they want to thrive, never mind survive, they have to solve all this NOW.

Ugh. CR is just completely wrong. Long time reader on this board but not a frequent contributor - but I feel I need to write something.

I have an early build car (3k VIN series or "classic" or "manual," if you will) and it has been flawless. A couple little issues that were all cleared by a ranger or remotely. Funny that CR called me on the phone about reliability etc, and the person interviewing was clearly told to find flaws as they pressed me on ridiculous matters (the auto lift gate had a funny clicking sound and tire pressure monitoring was a slight problem with warnings because incompatible sensors).

This whole situation with CR just smells funny. Highest rated car ever and then pull the rating because of some unsubstantiated quality issues (made a request today of the data and no response yet). There is a lack of impartialness that is completely exposed at this point. The interview I had was a joke and it was clear they were looking to artificially exacerbate flaws. Conspiracy theories be damned, but in this case something is just not adding up. All of us that actually own these cars and drive them day to day need to be more vocal. CR is BS at this point. They do not understand this car or this industry. IF X+ percent of us are happy with the vehicle even if there are required repairs, then the CR polling is ridiculously flawed.

You are already contradicting yourself. If a ranger had to come then the car certainly wasn't flawless.

And that also pretty much explains why CR is pressing people in those questions, because what you don't see as an issue is something they consider in their ranking.

It's pretty obvious that consumer reports don't just see a reliability issue if the car does not drive anymore like some people here, but rather if you need any kind service to fix it. That's also pretty obvious when you look at all their bullet points.

I think we all agree that Model S is absolutely THE best car that can be bought and that Tesla have done an amazing job. But the fact remains that there are continuing quality issues, which are totally disassociated from the car being fabulous in itself.

It's not a knock either, it's one of the best things CR could have done for Tesla. If they want to thrive, never mind survive, they have to solve all this NOW.

Well said. The best thing fans can do is encourage Tesla to improve and not discount the CR reports. We certainly don't discount the performance report!

1. My 2013 has had no drivetrain issues and is coming up on 60K miles.

2. I discount CR reviews because in almost every product I think I know something about they either get it wrong or miss the point.

3. That said, CR does test things that no one else does so E for effort.

4. My Model S has been as reliable as any other car I've had and more reliable than some.

All 3 model years are early generation products. Even 2016 models are early generation, Tesla has JUST started making cars. The question is has the reliability and build quality been improving? Unless this survey can break down its data by model years, it does nothing to answer that question. Yet, based on this data, CR is confidently predicting future "below average" reliability. I understand that this is simply how the rating system in the industry operates, however Tesla does not fit into that mold. There are just not that many start up car companies around.

How long a company has been building cars does not and should not give any given car company a handicap/advantage over another.

I 100% agree. Which is why I said CR has every right to take Tesla off their recommend list based on not meeting their criteria. And also the data is based on fact, or at least based on survey. I am not disputing their claim that overall Tesla reliability now is "below average" according to their definition. I also do not think CR should handicap this rating because Tesla is a young company. I've said none of that.

What I DO have a problem with is CR taking this survey and telling me future Teslas will all be "below average" in reliability. In fact, CR infers that the higher the production volume, the more reliability issues Tesla will have. Based on exactly what?

The way CR survey works is that they take the aggregate of the 1400 Tesla owners, and in total, it rates out to be 40% below average. And based on this, they say 2016 will also be below average. Again, this is how the industry works. However, in Teslas case, as a younger manufacturer that is improving its build quality, the break down could easily be:

2013- 60% below average reliability
2014- 40% below average reliability
2015- 20% below average reliability

which would still average out to CR's overall 40% below average, but where we end up in 2016 if the trend holds up - 0% average reliability, is a far cry from CR's brain dead prediction of the same 40% below average forever.

I know that the stock price dropped and people generally seem anxious about CR's report. However, I can say as a prospective buyer, it doesn't make me any less interested in the car. In fact, watching the CR video gives me a pretty good feeling about it. If there are some issues, but the car still has a 97% satisfaction rate, then it's probably not a decision I'll regret. That said, I agree that reliability will have to improve over time if Tesla is going to have success selling a mass-market car and it sounds like that is happening. The only thing I'm torn over is whether to get the pano roof. I'd be really irritated by a leak, but it looks so cool...

All 3 model years are early generation products. Even 2016 models are early generation, Tesla has JUST started making cars. The question is has the reliability and build quality been improving? Unless this survey can break down its data by model years, it does nothing to answer that question. Yet, based on this data, CR is confidently predicting future "below average" reliability. I understand that this is simply how the rating system in the industry operates, however Tesla does not fit into that mold. There are just not that many start up car companies around.

I 100% agree. Which is why I said CR has every right to take Tesla off their recommend list based on not meeting their criteria. And also the data is based on fact, or at least based on survey. I am not disputing their claim that overall Tesla reliability now is "below average" according to their definition. I also do not think CR should handicap this rating because Tesla is a young company. I've said none of that.

What I DO have a problem with is CR taking this survey and telling me future Teslas will all be "below average" in reliability. In fact, CR infers that the higher the production volume, the more reliability issues Tesla will have. Based on exactly what?

The way CR survey works is that they take the aggregate of the 1400 Tesla owners, and in total, it rates out to be 40% below average. And based on this, they say 2016 will also be below average. Again, this is how the industry works. However, in Teslas case, as a younger manufacturer that is improving its build quality, the break down could easily be:

2013- 60% below average reliability
2014- 40% below average reliability
2015- 20% below average reliability

which would still average out to CR's overall 40% below average, but where we end up in 2016 if the trend holds up - 0% average reliability, is a far cry from CR's brain dead prediction of the same 40% below average forever.

And if all of this hypothesis were true, and they didn't say "we see a clear progression of dramatic improvement year over year" then they would be doing their customers a disservice.

I can't speak to their methods, but if they don't also look at trends as part of their extrapolation, it's a pretty poor analysis. My guess is that if they didn't mention newer cars being better, then they saw no clear evidence of that in their study.

I never have seen raw data on 'things that broke' on the Tesla site or any other as far as that goes. I expect they want to play their cards close to there chest and there is the psychology that if someone sees something 'broken' that they think theirs is broken too. But I sure would like to dig into that data. Does it dovetail with Vins, production days, variant? Do model Ds have gearbox issues like PDs? Do the handles not extending have anything to do with temperature? Do all the handles not extend--or just one of them?

I mean I would have to complain about my occasional loss of 3G two or 3 times since I got the car in June. But why? Bad area lockup? I could always get it back by rebooting but I don't do that when driving. And then that dang browser. Well, mine's broken--because it's slow--it works sort of. But its an old version of Safari and not compatible with some sites. But wait..what did I say? What other car companies even have a browser of that ilk? I mean if people were complaining about that then CR is way out there.

I do know this: Perfect exhaust system performance. Perfect fuel pump reliability. I mean how are they comparing with ICE vehicles. Leafs..okay..I get it but can you compare?

I get kind of frustrated because I don't have enough data to go on and it doesn't look as though anyone (including Tesla) is going to step up to the plate and give it to me.

And if all of this hypothesis were true, and they didn't say "we see a clear progression of dramatic improvement year over year" then they would be doing their customers a disservice.

I can't speak to their methods, but if they don't also look at trends as part of their extrapolation, it's a pretty poor analysis. My guess is that if they didn't mention newer cars being better, then they saw no clear evidence of that in their study.

And that is my point, it is poor analysis. It is barely analysis at all. They do not break down reliability by model year, instead lumping them all together.

Despite Consumer Report downgrade, Tesla reliability increasing, firm reports - LA Times

These guys did another reliability test and found exactly what I have been saying: While Teslas are less reliable than typical new cars, they have improved their reliability by 20% in the past year. So instead of like CR is extrapolating, reliability is getting better as Tesla matures as a manufacturer, and as Teslas technology matures. Common sense for most people, but something the people at CR can't seem to grasp.

I have no issues with CR's testing methodology since they have experts testing the vehicles on a broad spectrum of metrics that are beneficial to the consumer. But their annual reliability survey is NOT a statistically accurate sampling. When they say they surveyed 1400 Model S owners, those owners are CR subscribers who chose to participate in the survey. For it to be statistically valid, it must be a random sampling; therefore, the reliability survey is really most accurate to the type of individuals who would subscribe to CR and like to take the survey.