Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contemplating legal action - MCU1 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2013 P85 which I sold in October of 2020 and subsequently bought a 2016 P100D, I wanted autopilot, FSD, and didn't want the nosecone. The prior car was great, no issues at all. From the day I picked up my P100D, I have been having issues with the screen.

The issue I have is that the screen constantly goes black and then turns back on. I have either been to Tesla or had someone come to my house either 4 or 5 times. Finally, they did the recall on the chip. The screen worked perfect....for a day. After, same exact issue, where the screen keeps restarting.

Two days ago they pushed software to my car, they've done this multiple times in the past. Again, works great for a day or two, then same exact problem. The car is covered under the 50,000, 4 year warranty since purchase, and I am well within that.

My problem is this - Tesla said they replaced the chip, and that is the source the issue, but the software has not been updated to accommodate the chip - this makes zero sense to me. How do you fix the hardware without the supporting software? So, they told me that I could upgrade to MCU2, and as a courtesy they will give me a discount and install it for $1500. This does not sit right with me - to me, this sounds super simple - the car has a warranty, what they replaced did not fix the problem; upgrading to MCU2 will fix the problem. They have exhausted all other options, I feel that I am entitled to MCU2 for free - the issue is covered by warranty, so I feel that they have to rectify the issue.

Tesla does not want to do this, they simply want to give me the discount to get MCU2 for $1500, or wait until software is available - they said it could be a week, two weeks, a month, who knows. What are the thoughts of the community?

Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
Their discount is funny. $1500 is just what it costs for anyone. I had my MCU1 replaced as well and though the performance wasn't as bad as yours, it was still pretty crappy and slow. I bought MCU2 for $1500 and it is worlds better. My car was under warranty as well. Even a "properly" functioning MCU1 is no fun to use. The underlying storage effectively wears out and they replace it with a newer chip. The software is the same since the hardware is effectively the same. Think of the hard drive in your computer failing. You get a new one and copy over the contents of your old drive and life goes on. The principle here is the same. However, it seems like the corruption was carried forward in your case and they need to start fresh.

I don't think MCU1 is really going to ever get better. Tesla has no reason to improve it at this point as they are not selling any new cars with MCU1. You can keep fighting the good fight with Tesla, but I would not expect them to upgrade you to MCU2 for free. If you're lucky they'll cut you an actual discount from the $1500 price. I think most people shopping for a Model S will want MCU2, so this will make your car easier to sell in the future and you'll enjoy the interface more over the years that you own it.

Reactions: WhiteWi and croman
No, AP2 and 2.5 cars currently cost $2,000 because they also come with the HW 3.0 FSD computer.
Can you clarify what you mean by come with HW 3.0 FSD? I have a late 2017 S (AP 2.5) and don’t think it has the HW 3.0 FSD.. I believe if I pay $5000 for the FSD upgrade then Tesla would upgrade my FSD computer to 3.0. Is that not right?

Can you clarify what you mean by come with HW 3.0 FSD? I have a late 2017 S (AP 2.5) and don’t think it has the HW 3.0 FSD.. I believe if I pay $5000 for the FSD upgrade then Tesla would upgrade my FSD computer to 3.0. Is that not right?

The MCU2 upgrade for cars that currently have AP2 or 2.5 comes with the 3.0 computer, even if you have not purchased the FSD package. It does NOT activate the FSD features, you would still have to pay for that.

Reactions: teasla
Sorry this sounds incredibly frustrating. I could see myself with the same reaction demanding they replace it for free. It sounds like a long *sugar* though because they have all the leverage. I would, knowing myself, be dug in and just have to wait for the update rather than pay. But I just got a "conplimentary retrofit" from a AP2.o to a computer that just says FSD. Not seeing many differences although it does appear I have real sentry mode now in my 2017 MS. I bought it used a month ago. Best of luck to you. Stay patient for the update if you decide not to pay!

I'm in a similar boat. I tried to get the updated EMMC, but they cancelled my appointment saying my screen needed to be black all of the time in order to get the new memory. My screen does go black quite often, but it is not all the time. Voice commands don't work, browser doesn't work and often I lose all sounds including warning sounds which seem important to not lose during driving. ;)

Screenshot_20210524-122851_3.png

Double-check the used lemon law, if you bought in NY. Probably won't apply, but worth checking anyway.

You could get communication that confirms that the only way they can restore function is MCU2, pay for the upgrade and then sue for the cost back on the basis that it's the only way they can fulfill their warranty obligation.

Or you can suck it up, and let everybody know about their terrible service.

Last edited:
This is really bad of Tesla. I just posted something that kind of relates to your plight. My thread is entitled "

VIN Sticker on Car States Built July 2018 but Built in February 2018"​

Telsa sold me a car with vin of July of 2018 but an MCU1. Tesla says tuff sh*t. Tesla is above the law and does whateve the h*ll they please. I hope you bust their chomps. I'm trying my best to, too.

Reactions: j6Lpi429@3j
I'm in a similar boat. I tried to get the updated EMMC, but they cancelled my appointment saying my screen needed to be black all of the time in order to get the new memory. My screen does go black quite often, but it is not all the time. Voice commands don't work, browser doesn't work and often I lose all sounds including warning sounds which seem important to not lose during driving. ;)

View attachment 665713
When I took in my 2013 Model S P85 for service of several faults the Rochester (Henrietta) Service Center added to change out the eMMC to the service without asking.

I had a 2013 P85 which I sold in October of 2020 and subsequently bought a 2016 P100D, I wanted autopilot, FSD, and didn't want the nosecone. The prior car was great, no issues at all. From the day I picked up my P100D, I have been having issues with the screen.

The issue I have is that the screen constantly goes black and then turns back on. I have either been to Tesla or had someone come to my house either 4 or 5 times. Finally, they did the recall on the chip. The screen worked perfect....for a day. After, same exact issue, where the screen keeps restarting.

Two days ago they pushed software to my car, they've done this multiple times in the past. Again, works great for a day or two, then same exact problem. The car is covered under the 50,000, 4 year warranty since purchase, and I am well within that.

My problem is this - Tesla said they replaced the chip, and that is the source the issue, but the software has not been updated to accommodate the chip - this makes zero sense to me. How do you fix the hardware without the supporting software? So, they told me that I could upgrade to MCU2, and as a courtesy they will give me a discount and install it for $1500. This does not sit right with me - to me, this sounds super simple - the car has a warranty, what they replaced did not fix the problem; upgrading to MCU2 will fix the problem. They have exhausted all other options, I feel that I am entitled to MCU2 for free - the issue is covered by warranty, so I feel that they have to rectify the issue.

Tesla does not want to do this, they simply want to give me the discount to get MCU2 for $1500, or wait until software is available - they said it could be a week, two weeks, a month, who knows. What are the thoughts of the community?

Thanks
The poster says he bought a 2016 Tesla but then claims it is covered by a 4 year warranty "since purchase." The warranty runs from the original purchase, not the resale, unless an additional warranty is offered with the resale. If the poster clarifies that and if he is indeed under warranty, then I would pay the $1500 and THEN sue Tesla in small claims court for $1500. It is clearly a breach of warranty if the warranty was not expired when the claim was made and if he gave them at least 30 days (reasonable time) to fix the problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
The poster says he bought a 2016 Tesla but then claims it is covered by a 4 year warranty "since purchase." The warranty runs from the original purchase, not the resale, unless an additional warranty is offered with the resale. If the poster clarifies that and if he is indeed under warranty, then I would pay the $1500 and THEN sue Tesla in small claims court for $1500. It is clearly a breach of warranty if the warranty was not expired when the claim was made and if he gave them at least 30 days (reasonable time) to fix the problem.
That is the new version of the warranty....when I purchased mine the warranty was from RESALE not original purchase. Anyhow, they ended up giving me 25% off the $1500 and I had it done a few months ago. The $1200 or so is not worth my time to pursue, plus I like the features of the new MCU.

Reactions: WhiteWi
That is the new version of the warranty....when I purchased mine the warranty was from RESALE not original purchase. Anyhow, they ended up giving me 25% off the $1500 and I had it done a few months ago. The $1200 or so is not worth my time to pursue, plus I like the features of the new MCU.
I had the same problem, and ended up with the same solution -- upgrade to MCU2. Wish I’d gotten the discount, and to be honest, they should do it free. They actually ended up double charging me too, and worse, refused to acknowledge it, so I had to have my credit card company do a chargeback.

I had the same problem, and ended up with the same solution -- upgrade to MCU2. Wish I’d gotten the discount, and to be honest, they should do it free. They actually ended up double charging me too, and worse, refused to acknowledge it, so I had to have my credit card company do a chargeback.
Agreed. I was really annoyed that they would not do this free. After all, it's a warranty, the issue is the MCU, if the fix is to replace the MCU then that should be covered.

Reactions: AaronE