Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convincing a skeptic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that OP did not try AP, which in my opinion is the game changer (besides the fact that it is an EV).

Trying AP on a 10 minute test drive with a 3 minute drive on a highway could end up being beneficial or detrimental. Either you get it, or you get very nervous - as it tend to be for anyone trying AP the first time - and come to the conclusion that it is a gimmick and come away thinking this is fluff.

That almost happened to me in my test drive, and luckily better sense prevailed and I stuck to my decision of going through with the purchase. If I had been only listening to the skeptics here, I would have a missed something that has dramatically improved my quality of life, as I commute a lot a everyday on highways.
I did not mention AP as something I was interested in. I do very little to no open highway driving. If I'm making my occasional long trip, it is in the truck. I walked in without an appointment and they squeezed me in. I only drove a few miles, did not have enough time to get to a highway. When I go on my occasional 500mi each way drive, I rarely use cruise control as it is.

Me too but it's location dependent. Depending your location, your service center may be overloaded. Tesla has to build more, or expand existing ones, in certain locations, but others are fine.

The service center seemed large enough, plenty of workers, but only a couple cars being worked on. I could only assume that was because they were waiting on parts for the rest.

I did make a mental note of which cars were in what spots along the road. Drove past it today and the lineup was virtually the same. This is a week later and it seems as if many customer cars haven't moved. The vehicles are facing the road so I can't see the plates, hell they could have fixed a red model S and put another red model S in the same spot. In the 2nd row from the dealership I remember a red, red, and black S, then I parked in an empty spot. Today those spots were a red, red, and black model S. It is not reassuring.

The service center seemed large enough, plenty of workers, but only a couple cars being worked on. I could only assume that was because they were waiting on parts for the rest.

I did make a mental note of which cars were in what spots along the road. Drove past it today and the lineup was virtually the same. This is a week later and it seems as if many customer cars haven't moved. The vehicles are facing the road so I can't see the plates, hell they could have fixed a red model S and put another red model S in the same spot. In the 2nd row from the dealership I remember a red, red, and black S, then I parked in an empty spot. Today those spots were a red, red, and black model S. It is not reassuring.

Those are probably loaner cars.

I first became interested in the Tesla when it occurred to me that by getting one for my wife, I would not find the fuel gauge on empty every time I went to use it. I wouldn't have to change oil, air cleaners, spark plugs etc. So we went for a test drive in a model S (90D).
The common reply I am noticing on this post is the recommendation to have a test drive. My advice is not to drive one unless you are able to buy one. No other car I have driven even comes close in comfort, feel, acceleration and gadgetry. I cannot comment on handling because I am not one to "throw a car around", but it felt really stable in cornering. The weight of the battery pack seems to be a benefit, as the car has so much inertia over bumps and the centre of gravity is so low. It will spoil every other car for you, and you will pine away wanting to get one. We also had a drive (just for the hell of it), in a P90DL. Ludicrous mode is aptly named. When you put your foot down, the speedo moves like a tacho does in a conventional car when you rev the engine in neutral. The blood rushes to your head, the feeling is hard to describe and not necessarily pleasant. My wife even got a nose bleed. Even the 90D has approx 3 times the kw at 0 revs of my wifes V8 BMW at 4800 rpm. In my opinion, anyone who drives one will be wanting to ditch their internal combustion engine, especially as charging facilities improve.

You're putting way too much thought into this. I think since the beginning of this thread that you knew a Tesla wasn't the right vehicle for you.
Yet I still went on a test drive and came away impressed. The model S wasn't even the one I had in mind, my questions were about the future(model 3) and the service issues that Tesla has. But I cant test drive a model 3 and tesla doesn't make a truck. So what else would you like me to do?

By the way, I'm going to post on forums of other vehicles I'm considering and ask them tough questions too.

So what else would you like me to do?

Pick out the vehicle you want and buy it? :)

I also prefer an SUV for size, but not a fan of the X. On the other hand, prefer the drive of a sedan. I did find the S worked well, packed in a load of luggage and pretended to go on a trip during an overnight test drive. If only the frunk was still large like the pre-facelift RWD cars it would be fantastic!

Pick out the vehicle you want and buy it? :)

I also prefer an SUV for size, but not a fan of the X. On the other hand, prefer the drive of a sedan. I did find the S worked well, packed in a load of luggage and pretended to go on a trip during an overnight test drive. If only the frunk was still large like the pre-facelift RWD cars it would be fantastic!
Good advice, now I just have to decide between a 2017 Raptor or a 1960 Impala

Have a 1960 'vett for sale and a 57 Star Chief. Was thinking about an antique pickup of some sort for utility use to complement t
he model S.
So I went all out... no range anxiety here. 820 highway miles on one tank.
20170518_142423.jpg

So I went all out... no range anxiety here. 820 highway miles on one tank.
View attachment 228203
I recently had a brand new F150 rental for a couple of weeks because I was getting some body work done. Not my fault. Anyway, I couldn't wait to get my Tesla back. I went from wanting to drive everywhere just for fun to oh crap I have to drive that stupid truck again. I sure hope the Tesla truck comes into existence with a decent amount of range. Obviously we need a major breakthrough in battery technology and charging speed. I think it's coming based on Elon's confidence in the development of the long range electric semi.