Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convincing parents of the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I obviously understand how amazing the Model S, but my parents hear electric and they don't have good thoughts. What are some points you used to convince non-believers of the best car in the world?

Yeah all my mom needed was a test drive. Heck she was talking about a LEAF for a little while after her test drive. She still thinks she needs 500 miles of range for some reason, even though she works from home. She still likes her BMW.

All my dad needed was this Men's health article to put him over the edge.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12881-Men-s-Health-Model-S-Review
http://www.menshealth.com/techlust/tesla-s-review#ixzz2Hyh7WnFT

My grandparents get converted when I drive it to their house on Thanksgiving! Well my grandmother is all on board, my grandfather still thinks a red Chevy Impala is the pinnacle of sports sedans.

The Model S has more cowbell than any other sedan on the market!

Seriously though, as long as you have 2 cars in the family, tell them one could easily be an EV. Never having to go to a gas station or worry about fuel prices is nice (since electricity costs are very stable over time or at least over the course of a year). They are safe, extremely quick and fun to drive. But as was said, a test drive is the way to go.

Timothy,

If you are interested in learning more about Tesla and owners in Ohio, I would recommend joining our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/OhioTeslaGroup

We are a small but active owners and enthusiast in Ohio. I live in Columbus and would be more than willing to let you and the family take a test drive if your ever in town. Also, Dave, the service manager at the Columbus center is great. The service is top quality and he is a great guy to represent the Tesla brand.

Good luck,

J

Timothy,

If you are interested in learning more about Tesla and owners in Ohio, I would recommend joining our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/OhioTeslaGroup

We are a small but active owners and enthusiast in Ohio. I live in Columbus and would be more than willing to let you and the family take a test drive if your ever in town. Also, Dave, the service manager at the Columbus center is great. The service is top quality and he is a great guy to represent the Tesla brand.

Good luck,

J

Thanks for the awesome offer! I liked your page!

I will be in contact if we take you up on the offer! Thanks again! :)

Wish it was that easy to drag them out there. Closest center is 4 hours away :(

Find a local who owns one and convince them to give your parents a test drive?

Probably still a problem, depending on where you are in Ohio. Toledo?

(Checks Robert's map of reservation holders... Tesla Model S & X Reservations and Deliveries)

Yes, I see, there aren't any in town. Perhaps your best shot is a Detroit reservation holder. One of them could drive down, show off the car, and drive back without recharging. MichiganmodelS might know someone willing to volunteer?

I'll give you an short analytic review if it'll help convince your parents.

Pros: The Model S is a more comfortable, natural, responsive drive than any other car I've ever seen, and it's largely due to the electric drivetrain -- it's simply very *natural*, in a way which is hard to describe if you've only driven gas cars. Driving a gas car feels *unnatural* after you've driven a Tesla. Acceleration and deceleration are spectacular, cornering is good, low-speed maneuvering is better than in any other car, the car is extremely ergonomic, and it has astounding amounts of storage space, and of course you never have to get gas.

But it's the driving feel which is unparalleled. I don't think there's any way to convince your parents of that without a test drive. I find it impossible to describe it to people.

"Enjoy driving again" would be a good slogan for the car; I am literally physically feeling healthier (less muscle soreness, less stiffness, etc.) when climbing out of the Tesla after an hour's drive than when climbing out of a gas car; the combination of the ergonomic design and the powertrain is spectacular.

Cons:
If you only drive to things which are about an hour away, then range isn't an issue, even with the 60kWh battery and without Supercharger access. If you do road trips, however, you probably don't want a Model S until the charger network is more completely built-out -- there are very few chargers in Ohio right now. So if your parents do a lot of road trips, it may honestly be best to tell them "The car is awesome, but don't get it until there are more chargers in Ohio." (Many will suggest that you could get a Model S and use a second gas car for road trips -- but once you get a model S you will not WANT to use the gas car for road trips!)

Model S is priced, in my opinion, at least $10,000 more than a comparable gasoline car. (I compare it to an Audi A6 rather than the A8 to which many people compare it.) I personally think it's worth it, but YMMV. If you're used to getting even cheaper cars, the car is really expensive. You have to install a charging point at your house, which does cost some money upfront. (I don't consider this part of the cost of the car, since it'll last forever, and it's basically an electric range plug.) Tesla is trying to force everyone to buy service from them (which is reasonable given the novelty of the car), and in your location it'll be a round $2400 for the first four years, so add that to the "premium". It's a substantial premium.

You'll only "make it back" in gas costs if you drive the car a lot. The Model S is truly ideal for people who drive a huge number of miles but never very far from home (people with an hour-long daily commute, for example). If you drive low numbers of miles like me, you really are paying a premium for electric; if you drive large distances, you're paying a convenience cost due to the difficulty of charging.

The car has a shortage of interior pockets, a lack of rear floor mats, and several points in the interior are prone to having coins fall in them and never come out. Tesla's sales-and-delivery operation was in a state of chaos in late February. Corporate can jerk you around with unexpected announcements. We can hope that the sales-and-delivery problems will be resolved in a few months. We can hope that things like seatback pockets are improved later in the year or in 2014 (they're really little, cheap-to-fix things).

I would actually advise most people to wait to buy a Tesla until 2014, if they can struggle along with their current cars for another year.

I would actually advise most people to wait to buy a Tesla until 2014, if they can struggle along with their current cars for another year.

I think this is really sound advice for someone who is new to the S. The drive might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but hearing all the different issues cropping up for early adopters may be enough to dissuade a buyer who needs reliability. My wife and I are both interested in the S but we simply can't afford the down-time and hassle of getting the thing fixed given our occupations. There's no guarantee that we'd have any issues of course, but the consistency of some of the problems brought to this forum, as well as the random problem, are enough to make us wait until things get ironed out. Hopefully that is next year.

For OP, I think you should let your parents know both the good and the bad with the S. I would be very upset if someone sold me on a vehicle that needed immediate maintenance, and later finding out that those maintenance issue(s) were well-publicized on this very forum. No need to make anyone a 'believer'; the vehicle will do that itself if it hits all the marks for them.

You or another poster made mention of directing them to this forum. I think that's a fantastic idea as they could read all the different threads created by owners.