Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cool car or tree hugger??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Are you really a tree hugger or did you buy the Tesla because you think it's cool?"

.. Feel free to share your stories...

I usually ask them if they know what their annual petrol bill is. They often respond with something between £4k - £8k ($6k-$12k !!) and proudly tell me how their 'Merc' or BM has amazing performance and still does nearly 20mpg on a good run ..

When I explain that I make my own fuel for free from the big yellow thing in the sky, and enjoy 0-60 in 3 and a bit seconds, they suddenly show interest.

If that ain't cool, what the heck is ?

Like many others have said, anyone who's taken up the offer of a free ride usually 'sees the light' and departs the car well and truly 'converted'. If I've done this in a Model S, I often show them that the car even has net access by pulling up the Tesla website and show them the configurator page!

Bear in mine that 'petrol' here in the EU is the best part of 300% more expensive than in the USA, so all the usual economic and environmental arguments are even more compelling.

As for me, I bought into the EV revolution after a brief test drive in a Roadster in 2011 having lusted after one since 2007. I reckon I had a religious moment right there and then. I went home, put the 12MPG red car from Italy up for sale and ordered a Roadster .. putting the spare change into TSLA, not long after the IPO.. which has kinda paid for the MS :cool:

Last edited:
I don't have a Model S yet, but it sure has my attention. What attracts me to it:

1. Technology: the Model S is a technological marvel
2. The Man and his mission: he could have taken his PayPal money and called it, but no, he set out to change the world, and make it a better place. I respect that.
3. American ingenuity. I haven't been this excited about an American made car since, well... Ever.
4. Freedom from big oil: The oil industry has a firm grip on us, and frankly I'm sick of paying what they're asking

Regarding that last point, a friend of mine recently bought a Maserati Ghibli S, and was showing it to me the other day. It's a beautiful machine. He got a great price ~$83k, well optioned, 0% financing. For a moment I pictured myself buying one, but then found myself asking "how's the gas mileage?". When he responded 15MPG, my head instantly snapped back to Tesla. Much to my surprise, that last point meant more to me than I had previously thought.

As for tree hugger status, I'm without doubt not one of those.

I'd answer it as "both although tree hugging seems like a waste of time but I do like trees, if that's what you mean". Then I'd say: "There was a lot resistance when we went from horse and buggy to motorized vehicles. This is just the next step and it's inevitable. No gas, no oil, regenerative braking, you basically only need to change the tires and wipers." Then answer their questions.

Hahah. I get silly questions like that all the time when I'm driving my Roadster.

During my couple of months with the Roadster, showing it off and discussing it with many people, the subject of eco-friendliness never even came up. Nobody mentioned it, including me.

But keep in mind, I live in rural central Texas where it seems like half the vehicles on the road are big dually diesel pickup trucks, and being "green" isn't really on most people's radar at all.

I have never been asked that question, or anything like it. The people I encounter generally are pretty knowledgeable about the car and ask the usual things, like range, cost, etc. Many are also aware of the Consumer Reports ratings. Even the uniformed don't suggest I bought the car out of concerns for the environment -- I'm the one who makes that point:)

There's a lingering perception that being environmentally conscientious means making your life suck. Conservation meant sitting around in the dark and cold (or heat if it's summer time) and driving a horrible car, if you drove one at all.

This. So much this. Its a common theme among those who talk about environmental issues that we need to scale back from our comfortable 1st world lifestyle. Most people really don't want to do this, and the hostility towards those who do is understandable.

To me, Tesla seems like the only company who as dared to make an electric car that's actually a compelling product to people who really don't care about those environmental factors.

This. So much this. Its a common theme among those who talk about environmental issues that we need to scale back from our comfortable 1st world lifestyle. Most people really don't want to do this, and the hostility towards those who do is understandable.

To me, Tesla seems like the only company who as dared to make an electric car that's actually a compelling product to people who really don't care about those environmental factors.

Tesla is a great example that "living greener" can be done without compromising that comfortable lifestyle you mention.

Tesla is a great example that "living greener" can be done without compromising that comfortable lifestyle you mention.

Exactly.

Things like the powerwall follow suite with this as well. Solar panels plus a powerwall? You still get all your first world comforts, and no extra carbon comes into play other than the initial manufacture of the components (and those will eventually be produced by all-green plants themselves).

I've been talking about my decision to buy this car with several of my co-workers (tech company) and the banter is about all aspects of the Model S. It's the ultimate gadget. The instantaneous torque is amazing. Lowest coefficient of drag for any production car. It's the safest car on the road. No other car on the market continues to evolve through OTA updates. The company is run by a disrupter almost universally admired amongst geeky nerds.

Left unsaid is that buying a BEV is a decision which is extremely gratifying on a personal level. It is aligned with my world view that we should leave the world better than we found it. But I'm not especially anxious to vocalize those beliefs and come across as overly idealistic or sanctimonious. In reality one more sustainable vehicle on the road matters little. Being a small part of a greater movement really is a big part of my thought process, but it's an internal justification.

I'm making design studio choices based more on pragmatic considerations about usage than style or performance. If I found a low mileage CPO 60 with the color, interior and features I want I'd pull the trigger. I may ultimately opt for a 70D. Regardless if you seeking the (not so low) end MS or a P85D with every option, you're still going to end up with an amazing daily driver.

At the end of the day I'm buying a cool car, and the carbon footprint us ancillary. Somewhat important as a personal statement. But it's also a very practical & justifiable purchase on so many levels.

I answer "yes". I bought it for both reasons. I take our Roadster to muscle car and super car events and it's usually the quickest car there. I take it to EV events and it's always the greenest.
And it always gets the most attention 

It is a killer car and we appreciated you driving all the way across the state for our Plug In Day back in 2012! cs

- - - Updated - - -

I've been talking about my decision to buy this car with several of my co-workers (tech company) and the banter is about all aspects of the Model S. It's the ultimate gadget. The instantaneous torque is amazing. Lowest coefficient of drag for any production car. It's the safest car on the road. No other car on the market continues to evolve through OTA updates. The company is run by a disrupter almost universally admired amongst geeky nerds.

Left unsaid is that buying a BEV is a decision which is extremely gratifying on a personal level. It is aligned with my world view that we should leave the world better than we found it. But I'm not especially anxious to vocalize those beliefs and come across as overly idealistic or sanctimonious. In reality one more sustainable vehicle on the road matters little. Being a small part of a greater movement really is a big part of my thought process, but it's an internal justification.

I'm making design studio choices based more on pragmatic considerations about usage than style or performance. If I found a low mileage CPO 60 with the color, interior and features I want I'd pull the trigger. I may ultimately opt for a 70D. Regardless if you seeking the (not so low) end MS or a P85D with every option, you're still going to end up with an amazing daily driver.

At the end of the day I'm buying a cool car, and the carbon footprint us ancillary. Somewhat important as a personal statement. But it's also a very practical & justifiable purchase on so many levels.

I couldn't have said it better!